pole barn ceiling

/ pole barn ceiling #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I will be building a pole barn in the Springtime when the temps warm up in Northern Wisconsin. The building will be 28x32 with a 8' ceiling the price they gave me for the ceiling was 2,100 they will use 7/16osb for the ceiling does this price sound alittle high?. Also I want a cement floor I asked people at work and they told me 6" the company said I could get away with 4" that seems to me like to thin and CRACKS would start, the only things I would keep inside are a full size pick up work benches and maybe a bobcat.

/ pole barn ceiling #2  
Jack, welcome to TBN - you might wanna ask a mod to move this to PROJECTS forum - this one is more for building IMPLEMENTS, etc, for your tractor... Steve

And, if your bobcat is full size, I'd stay with 6" - tires aren't that big a footprint and those suckers are HEAVY.

/ pole barn ceiling #3  
Also get a higher ceiling. 8' is low for a working area if you ever have overhead lights and plywood to swing around.
I've workshops with 8', 10', 12' and 14' ceilings. 10' is ok 12' is great.

/ pole barn ceiling #4  
Well $2100 seems a lot for OSB in the ceiling, for that money get roof trusses with a little higher pitch and have some storage in the second level which will give you a ceiling too.

Agree on the others get at least 9' clear height and 10 is better.

/ pole barn ceiling #5  
As others are noting, 8 feet is really limiting for a building you will be working in or storing anything other than cars/trucks. If you go a couple of feet higher, you can put in 8 foot doors which are so much better than 7 foot high doors.

I would never put OSB on a ceiling. It's dark, ugly, heavy, hard to paint, etc. My personal opinion (and what I did in my pole barn) is to go with a white steel liner panel ceiling. Material for a 28 x 32 should be less than $1000 and it should only take a day to install. Put up a vapor barrier and an access hatch and you can blow in insulation later. My mistake in doing mine was installing wiring and lighting/outlet boxes first. Doing it again, I would put up the ceiling and then run conduit afterward.

/ pole barn ceiling
I was thinking of 10' but went to 8' because of the sale price. His price is 2191! for that I'l do it myself with some buddys giving me a extra hand.

Hey Kenny G are you talking about 3 or 4' panels that I could get at Menards?.

/ pole barn ceiling #7  
2100 for just the ceiling sounds pretty high, how much for the outside shell?

Like others have mentioned it doesn't cost much extra for some additional height, if you have a lift on your dream list now is the time to plan for it.

/ pole barn ceiling #8  
I would agree with at least a 10' ceiling, 12' is better.

And you may want to consider using metal on the ceiling. Once up, you should never have to paint it. More than likely lighter in weight than OSB. Good reflection if you install ceiling lights. Pretty airtight too. You can get liner panel for approx. $60.00 per square. My new shop is 30' X 32' X 12', the metal and J-Channel ran me right at $600.00. I put this up by myself in 1-1/2 days with the aid of a drywall lift. Plus putting 1-1/2" styrofoam insulation in above the metal.

I had a contractor give me a price on labor to install it, and he quoted me $700.00.

Shop Ceiling 002.jpg

/ pole barn ceiling
The reason I picked OSB is because I wanted a hatch so I could rent a blower to blow insulation on top of the ceiling. I also like your idea DJ metal would be a lot lighter then OSB that's for sure!.

/ pole barn ceiling #10  
I was thinking of 10' but went to 8' because of the sale price. His price is 2191! for that I'l do it myself with some buddys giving me a extra hand.

Hey Kenny G are you talking about 3 or 4' panels that I could get at Menards?.

Yes but use liner panel which is not for exterior but is cheaper. It's easy to frame in an access to put in insulation. Don't forget the vapor barrier.