Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #1  

dear.chap

Tractor
Toro
The current garage is 20x25 and is pretty much tightly packed with all my woodworking eqpt and a zero turn. There is literally no standing space on the woodworking side of things. So I am set on a pole barn . My initial thoughts were 24x32x10 and slowly I became convinced it should be 24x40x12. Some more posts from TBN later I am now at 30x40x14. Here is a list of my current eqpt.

1. Powermatic 66 Table Saw
2. Delta 8" Jointer
3. Grizzly 15" Planer
4. Powermatic Bandsaw
5. Full size craftsman drill press
6. Table top drill press with stand/drawers
7. Disc Sander / Osc Spindle Sander combo
8. Miter saw station
9. Hand tool woodworking workbench with vise - full size

All of the above is cramped into a 10x25 space. The remaining 10x25 space has

1. 50" Zero Turn
2. Bunch of lawn gas equipment, blower, trimmer, chainsaw
3. Standing space

Equipment in my future
1. CUT . wife dot gov gave the a-ok
2. mini lathe for woodworking
3. Milling machine
4. Chop saw and/or horizontal-vertical bandsaw
5. Welder
6. Welding table

Give all these is a 30x40x14 sufficient for future needs as well. I have ample space on my property and have 3 locations scooted out

layout.png

The purple block is closest to my house and near my current garage. A lot( i mean a lot) of fill dirt would need to be used to level that area. The other two blocks, black and blue are relatively flat.

I will be having someone pour the concrete and install the brackets for the laminated pole posts and then do the rest of heavy lifting myself(with that CUT hopefully).

TIA
DC

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #2  
You sound JUST LIKE ME, two years ago. Virtually same space, and equipment. I went 40x60. I’d not go smaller. 30x40 would be TIGHT.

72” ZTR
12’ trailer
48hp CUT
Workbench
Saws
Dust collector
Storage for beekeeping suppplies
ATV
Trail mower
Cultipacker
ETC…
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_20230104_194348762~2.jpeg
IMG_0082.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg
IMG_20230227_155325892~2.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #3  
Plan for the next decade. Build it a little bit bigger because in 5 years you will most likely wish it was a little bigger. 40x60 is a good size to begin with.

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #4  
Yeah, we built this home 5 years ago. When we did, we built a 25x25 detached garage as a shop for me. In three years I had outgrown it. I spent almost a year planning this pole barn. I went bigger than I HAD to, and I'm glad I did. I'll use it. The detached stores a spare car and three motorcycles. Everything else goes to the barn. I just LOVE working in there.

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #5  
You sound JUST LIKE ME, two years ago. Virtually same space, and equipment. I went 40x60. I’d not go smaller. 30x40 would be TIGHT.

72” ZTR
12’ trailer
48hp CUT
Workbench
Saws
Dust collector
ATV
Trail mower
Cultipacker
ETC…
View attachment 855744

Good looking barn

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #7  
Do what I did, I'm a bit ****. I got some of the paper that has all the squares on it. Cut paper to the size of my tractors, equipment and pickups and placed it on there to see if everything would fit. Worked out great for me.

Mine is 40x60x12 and one thing for sure, it will never be big enough.

My 22x33x12 shop in the SW corner with a compressor room added on.

Attachments

• WP_20140817_005.jpg
    WP_20140817_005.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20150913_15_30_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150913_15_30_55_Pro.jpg
    886.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #8  
My garage is 30x40 and the barn at my other farm is 30x40. It's a good size for what they do, but it was easy to fill them up and I still need to build a proper workshop sometime in the future. I can pull the cars out of my garage and have plenty of room to do stuff, but I'm moving things around all the time. I've been in a few 40x60 buildings, and they where HUGE!!! I think the biggest issue is if you are going to park anything in there, or will it be dedicated to just your tools? Once you put vehicles in a shop, all the open space is gone!!!

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #9  
For the placement you should calculate the amount of fill required vs the amount if gravel required for the barn driveway. Also find out if the city or county would let you do a other driveway some place are restrictive about that and that has a cost too, it looks like two location out of the three would work best with a other road entrance.

/ Pole Barn sizing for workshop and placement #10  

72” ZTR
12’ trailer
48hp CUT
Workbench
Saws
Dust collector
ATV
Trail mower
Cultipacker
ETC…
View attachment 855744View attachment 855745View attachment 855746View attachment 855747View attachment 855748View attachment 855749

Great building, inside and out. Curious about what kind of light fixtures you used that appear to work so well? I used 4 each 500 watt halogens because they were only $10 each, but if I ever forget to turn them off, in a few days my electric bill will...