Pole Barn - Why not use center post?

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post?
Green,
My original questions was based off the framing method below. You did not read the post or assumed you knew what was being requested. I have never said anything about using a ridge beam or spanning 2x8's 30'. Two rafters from outside post to center post , then place vertical purlins. This was a very popular method before the clear span truss method.
Please see website. How To Build a Pole Barn...Secrets and Shortcuts

Also I did speak with the inspector. Again you did not read any of the post. I don't need a crew of engineers to build a dang pole barn.

roofpurlins-180x150.jpg

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #62  
Green,
My original questions was based off the framing method below. You did not read the post or assumed you knew what was being requested. I have never said anything about using a ridge beam or spanning 2x8's 30'. Two rafters from outside post to center post , then place vertical purlins. This was a very popular method before the clear span truss method.

Also I did speak with the inspector. Again you did not read any of the post. I don't need a crew of engineers to build a dang pole barn.

roofpurlins-180x150.jpg

Well said ...

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #64  
Green,

roofpurlins-180x150.jpg

So be it! Why ask for help then? You have already decided what you want, know more than those who have been there and checked with your local inspector. What is the purpose of your post then?????

MarkV

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #65  
While you might think that a pole barn is no big deal, many counties in Georgia do not want to see lick and a promise structures going up. It brings down property values in the county, county does not want any liability for allowing an underengineered building to go up and don't want the hassle of making someone take down an unsafe building they just put up.

Morton uses pressure treated laminated poles consisting of 2x6 PT lumber. Not sure what the rating is but I would guess .40 which used to be a number that represented ground contact. PT also has some termite resistence. White wood in the ground will get eaten up by termites in a few years or will rot in the same few years. Even with some black paint which offers no protection. Just cut a pine tree down in Georgia and leave that stump there. In 5 years you will be able to kick that stump away because of rot or termites.

I have not seen 3' on center in Georgia but I have looked at houses which seem to be 2' or less OC. We do have snow load in Georgia. In the past two years we have had up to 6 inches of snow in Athens. A 4/12 roof does not shed that snow that quickly. My 9/12 roof did not shed that snow that fast either. I have seen a variation of that framing your picture shows but it has been a few years since I visited my friends place. They do have leaks.

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #66  
If you plan to store things in the trusses, you should consider storage trusses. I have them in my garage and it gives me a nice room in the attic.

While you might think that a pole barn is no big deal, many counties in Georgia do not want to see lick and a promise structures going up. It brings down property values in the county, county does not want any liability for allowing an underengineered building to go up and don't want the hassle of making someone take down an unsafe building they just put up.

Morton uses pressure treated laminated poles consisting of 2x6 PT lumber. Not sure what the rating is but I would guess .40 which used to be a number that represented ground contact. PT also has some termite resistence. White wood in the ground will get eaten up by termites in a few years or will rot in the same few years. Even with some black paint which offers no protection. Just cut a pine tree down in Georgia and leave that stump there. In 5 years you will be able to kick that stump away because of rot or termites.

I have not seen 3' on center in Georgia but I have looked at houses which seem to be 2' or less OC. We do have snow load in Georgia. In the past two years we have had up to 6 inches of snow in Athens. A 4/12 roof does not shed that snow that quickly. My 9/12 roof did not shed that snow that fast either. I have seen a variation of that framing your picture shows but it has been a few years since I visited my friends place. They do have leaks.

Jim,
Thanks for your post. I know there is a lot of different questions in my post and different methods. My original questions were based off the picture above. Then I started asking questions about trusses because nobody had any input on this method.

First, I have never said anything about using white wood with black paint. This was another poster that did not read the thread and suggested I said that. Every post I have mention said 2x6 PT or pressure treated. My question about the black paint was using on STANDARD PRESSURE TREATED. As you will not find ground contact PT in the big box stores without special ordering.

I don't understand your comment about "They do have leaks"? How does this have anything to do with framing?

Last I have no intentions of putting up some hope and prayer building. My questions were to inquiry on the method of framing instead of trusses as I don't need a clear span building.

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #68  
The leaks might be because the plywood deck is spanning wider than a 2' span which the plywood might not be rated for. Crummy framing can make it impossible to not have leaks. Just like a bad flashing job often causes leaks. Watch that Holmes fellow from Canada doing remodel repair shows on cable if you want to see a hundred ways to do a job the wrong way. No not the way Holmes does things but all the screwups he turns up.

If you are serious about building you do not go to Home Depot or Lowes for framing materials. You go to a lumber yard. The lumber yard that supplied my barn and the one that supplied my house are gone but there are still 2 good lumber yards within 15 miles of my house. Or if you know what you want you have Lowes or HD order what you need. When I built my pole barn I bought 6x6 PT 16' and 20' long. I dug holes and picked them up and tipped them in the holes by hand. It sounds like you can do that but the inspector wants to see what you put in the holes. My inspector didn't seem to care but that was 13 years ago.

/ Pole Barn - Why not use center post? #69  
The leaks might be because the plywood deck is spanning wider than a 2' span which the plywood might not be rated for. Crummy framing can make it impossible to not have leaks. Just like a bad flashing job often causes leaks. Watch that Holmes fellow from Canada doing remodel repair shows on cable if you want to see a hundred ways to do a job the wrong way. No not the way Holmes does things but all the screwups he turns up.

If you are serious about building you do not go to Home Depot or Lowes for framing materials. You go to a lumber yard. The lumber yard that supplied my barn and the one that supplied my house are gone but there are still 2 good lumber yards within 15 miles of my house. Or if you know what you want you have Lowes or HD order what you need. When I built my pole barn I bought 6x6 PT 16' and 20' long. I dug holes and picked them up and tipped them in the holes by hand. It sounds like you can do that but the inspector wants to see what you put in the holes. My inspector didn't seem to care but that was 13 years ago.

I am going to have to disagree with about everything you just said.

First, I believe to OP never made mention about using plywood. He is probabally going to use steel like 99% of pole barns today use.

Second, he never said anything about spanning more than 2' either. He said the purlins were GOING to be 2' appart, so I dont know how you got more than that.

And finally, the comment about "if you are serious, you dont go to a box store" kinda pieves me. What is the difference between a SYP 2x8 at lowes vs at a lumber yard??? The only difference that I have found is that the lumber yard thinks they are worth twice as much.

Their is absolutly nothing wrong with buying building material from HD, lowes, menards, etc. And no thanks on the special order or deliver either. I will pick the lumber I want off the rack. That way I know what I am getting.

To the OP: I see nothing wrong with framing the way they show in the pictures. Just be sure you size the lumber accordingly. Their are plenty of usefull charts and calculators online. The "purlins" that are going to be ran parallel with the ridge line will be easy to figure based on span. But the MAIN rafters these tie to may be a little more channenging. You have to factor the loads that are going to apply over the given span and treat it as a "BEAM" and NOT a rafter. Because most sizing tables for rafters only go up to a 2' span. And you are talking on the order of 10-15 feet. Personally, for peice of mind and it shouldnt cost much, consult a PE in your area. Take a pic like the one you posted. Give him sizes and spans and ask him how big the lumber needs to be. Maybe a 2x12, or a double 2x12, who knows. But get a PE's advise in that area and you will sleep better at night. That is of course if you choose not to use trusses or traditional rafters.

LD1,
You are correct on all spects of your reply. Did not want to keep saying "I did not say this or that" anymore. I do intend to use metal roofing.

I was thinking the mains would either be 2x10 or 2x12 and 2x8 purlins. I agree I need to get a little more info and that was the point of the post. Thanks for the reply.