Pond Building in East Texas

/ Pond Building in East Texas #51  
Thanks for the pics and the update. Is the grow out pond working as you had hoped it would, or is it too early to tell?

Will you do anything to smooth out your dam from the little ravines created from the rain? When would you do this? I've waited two years to let my grasss get established and just lived with the ravines, but this year I'm gonna start adding dirt to smooth it all out.

Eddie

/ Pond Building in East Texas
Eddie,

Too early to tell...first captives going into the grow-out pond in about two weeks.

The little ravines...no, I don't expect to do anything about those...very small and mostly harmless with the water level at full and when grasses get established they won't be much of a factor...assuming you are referring to those on the inside of the dam? On the backside, where the water has a much longer distance to flow and cause erosion, I've already filled those in once and will probably do that again later this spring. Can easily get to those with the dozer.

Wondering, how will you get to those on the inside of the dam? Do you think they will cause problems or is it an appearance thing? I'd be interested in some pictures if you get the chance. Thanks.

The planning for this pond started over two years ago, the construction over 1 year ago, the establishment of the forage fish this past winter, and now the last step has been completed....the addition of the predator, the LMB.

Today, I stocked the pond with the Florida x Native LMB or sometimes called F1 LMB as pictured below.

Now its time for Nature to take its course...no fishing for about 2 more years, if I can enforce that on others and myself,...and if past experience is any indicator, this pond will be a great LMB fishing pond at the end of that two years with the very real probability of 8 to 10 pound LMB in about 4 years.

Attachments

• LMB_F1_06_11_08.jpg
    LMB_F1_06_11_08.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 84
   / Pond Building in East Texas #54  
Meadowlark,

Where did you get the bass from? How are the priced and how many do you buy per acre?

I've been thinking of adding bass to my pond, but I'm worried about the right time to do this. I was told by Bob at Tyler Fish Farms that June was a good month to stock bass since the minnows and bluegill would have spawned a few times. I've seen allot of minnows along my shore and hope the bluegill have done the same. They were put in last fall, but I've actually been putting them in from my other pond for well over a year.

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie,

I got them from Bob at Tyler Fish Farms yesterday.

IMO, he has the very best LMB genetics at any price, anywhere in Texas...but I got them for $.60 per fish.

I compared Bob's fish value to American Sport Fish, a nationally recognized source of prized LMB, where the same sized fish were $1 per fish with a shipping charge that ran the cost to well over $2 per fish. Even at today's gas prices, I saved several hundred $ and feel I got quality fish.

The stocking rate depends on your objectives....more per acre results generally in smaller LMB. I stock at 50 per acre targeting large fish down the road.

June is the best time for a number of reasons.

First, like Bob said, your forage has had a chance to really establish and by starting with 2 inch LMB, the forage will be even better by the time the LMB really need it.

Second, and most impertant to me, by buying the small LMB in June you are guranteed to be purchasing this years fish and not the left-over stunted fish from the prior year. If you buy LMB in March,April, May, you likely will get last year's stunted fish that didn't sell.

Third, June is about the last month you can safely handle fish for stocking in my area.

/ Pond Building in East Texas #56  
Meadowlark,

I just did a quick serch for Tyler Fish Farms and found his website. From what I understand, it's brand new.

www.tylerfishfarm.com

His hours say that his last day for the season is June 15, so I'm gonna give him a call in the morning. I'm busy on a job, but maybe Bob will work with me on when I can get the fish.

I like your logic on how many to buy. I'm in absolutely no hurry for them to grow and get big, so taking the long term aproach has allot of apeal to me. My big pond is 4 acres, so I'm going to buy 200 fish. Heck, ast .60 cents each, that's only $120. I spend that to fill up my bachoe!!!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie,

Thank you for posting that link. I didn't realize it existed....and it does look to be new. I'm glad to have it.

Bob told me they were selling to walk-ups on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (only until noon on Friday)....I think he said through June but I may have misunderstood.