Portable Generator

/ Portable Generator #91  
If it's in a permanent location steel barrels make good mufflers.

Egon

/ Portable Generator #92  
<font color="blue">If it's in a permanent location steel barrels make good mufflers.
</font> .

I buried mine and you can't tell its running from our house (85ft away). /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Portable Generator
Hey Grumpa,
If you check the Generac manual, it might define the warranty as first year full warranty and second year parts only. When I had all the problems with mine, Generac suggested they typicaly honor the warranty for two years. I couldn't get that in writing but I'll check into that if I have more trouble.

Curt

/ Portable Generator #94  
If you buy a lot of equipment you should seriously consider joining CONSUMER REPORTS and check out what they say.
I do it a lot because I don't want to get SC#$%&& (been there, done that). Before I buy a big ticket item from anybody, I check with CR.

Dick Austin

/ Portable Generator #95  
Curt, your thread saved my "bacon." /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I had seen a Generac generator on ebay. It looked to be about a year old and the owner said it had only been run about 10 hours. I put a minimum bid on it and was thinking of raising my maximum bid until I read this thread. After this, no way. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I am one happy camper that some other "lucky" person got that generator. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks to everyone for telling it like it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Portable Generator #96  
Everybody seems to be on the generator wagon today, hoping to make a fast buck. HD is one the biggest offenders in that area.

Essentailly what you are getting is an air-cooled model (that normally sells for $500) in a pretty case and then they throw in an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). When they do this kind of marketing consumers think that they are buying the same kind of stanby generator that sells for 10k or better.

For more info on generators see:

www.utterpower.com

www.rrindustry.com

www.backwoodshome.com