Portable Generator

/ Portable Generator #81  
I have the generac 7550EXL from HD. I have run a couple tanks of gas through it without any trouble. I hope the complaints are isolated incidents. Mine has run flawlessly so far. It sounds like if I was going to have a problem it would have happened by now. I paid $989 for it plus I got a $100 gift card back for the purchase. I figured that I couldn't go wrong getting generator this size for under $900. I couldn't even get a 1500 watt honda for that price.

/ Portable Generator #82  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( feeling like I should have spent the big bucks and gone with a Honda generator (twice the money) instead of the Porter Cable (with B&S engine) that I "thought" was a good deal at $500 for 5.25KW..)</font>

Don't beat yourself up about it. Yes.. the honda engine is without a doubt, a 'better' setup. That said.. the B/S can bring you years of service. I have b/s engines in my push and riding lawnmowers. The push mower is 14 years old.. starts on the first crank. All it has ever needed was a carb rebuild ( no parts.. I simply cleaned it with a can of carb spray, and a qtip ) and a cleaning of the impulse contact.

The bulk of the BS problems I've seen were carb related. The float needle sticks badly.. often.. if no use.

That carb is the easiest carb i have ever seen, or worked on in my life.

Usually 2 bolts pull it.. a nut to drop the bowl.. clean it.. slap it back together.. replace the gaskets and felt packings if they look ad and go. Can be done in 15 minutes including the frosty beverage.

Otherwise.. treat it well.. change the oil, and DO service the air filter. Unless you get a lemon, or abuse it.. it will last a long time.

Besides.. at the price diferential you paiid.. as long as the electrics hold up.. you could replace that B/S engine a few years down the road.. and have paid about even money as the guy with a honda.. and you'd be back to a new engine, and his would have a few years of wear on it... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's like wives.. you made your decision.. so ya might as well keep it and use it.. Otherwise you take a bath 'financially' to
unload it and start over.

Obviously the wife is not around or I'd not be writing this.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Portable Generator #83  
I have the same generator also, Cokeman, and am well satisfied with it. The only issue I've ever had with it is the carburator flooding/hard starting if the fuel wasn't shutoff from the previous use. Now I just cut the fuel off when I'm through using it and let it run dry. It never fails to start on the first pull and runs great.

The EX/EXL series is Generac's premium line of generators. I did a lot of research when I bought mine and it offered, by far, the best set of features for the money. You can't judge an entire product line from just one example, either positive or negative.

/ Portable Generator #84  
My sister in law has a stationary Generac propane 10KW generator with a BS twin. It always starts. The drawback is it is about the noiseiest generator I have ever heard. I can't imagine what the neighbors must think when this thing is used. It's unbelieveably loud. You need hearing protection just to be near it even with the lid down.

/ Portable Generator #85  
Briggs & Stratton make many different engine variations for different types of service.

Egon

/ Portable Generator #86  
All the ones I've seen so far were lawnmower engines. thats a 4.5, 8, and 12.5 . All had the same basic carb ( though I'm sure different jets..). I don't think I've messed with an B/S other than lawnmowers.. etc...

Soundguy

/ Portable Generator
I started this post regarding the defective Generac and lack of support. I've run it a couple of hours since getting it back from repair powering my workshop with no problems. I'm trying to get an hour a month on it, it will be a lot easier when the weather improves a bit.

The folks at Home Depot made good on their offer of a 10% credit as a peace offering because of all the problems I had with the generator. I bought a nice 16ft paneled, insulated overhead door for the garage and got $60 or so off. Every little bit helps!

Does anybodys generator have current or wattmeters to show the balance on the 220 outlet. The Generac doesn't. I was thinking of wiring up some type of panel meters at the service panel. Maybe I should just do a test run and amp clamp it and see where it stands?

59 days till spring. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curt

/ Portable Generator #88  
Strange how this got started again, but like you I wasent all that happy with mine either. On mine (Generac 5550) they ended up replacing the engine just 2 days ago. Since I bought it last year april and its got a 1yr warranty on the engine they arent going to extend the warranty at all /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. At least I (hopefully) got it fixed but for a new unit with very little strain on it I would have rather not had this problem in the first place.

/ Portable Generator #89  
"My sister in law has a stationary Generac propane 10KW generator with a BS twin. It always starts. The drawback is it is about the noiseiest generator I have ever heard. I can't imagine what the neighbors must think when this thing is used. It's unbelieveably loud. You need hearing protection just to be near it even with the lid down. "

Rat, It sounds like it's time for a muffler upgrade. 6 yrs ago I swapped the muffler on my 12h coleman generator for a Cub Cadet tractor muffler. I put 24 - 48 hours a year on the gen set. I've seen other guys put car mufflers on their generators.

/ Portable Generator #90  
Rat:

How you doing??

My Generac 15KW isn't at all loud. The enclosure dampens most of the noise. I have a V twin too...1 liter, but it's no bs for sure. Thats no bs.