Portable Generator

/ Portable Generator #71  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( save yourself some grief, buy a brushless generator. Will cost you a little more )</font>

I'm quite happy with the brushless pto gen I got from northern..

Soundguy

/ Portable Generator #72  
Yeah, defintely would have considered (h*** bought a PTO) gen, but did not have my dynamo humm at the time. Alot cheaper, more power, and as other threads have demonstrated, just disconnect when required for something else if you only have one tractor. Outages SHOULD only last max 8 hours. If not, what does it matter, (unless something critical to an operation) you would just keep the tractor dedicated for power supply until return to normal operation.

/ Portable Generator #73  
By the way, impressed with your hole theory. Isn't it crazy. On the one hand they want you to think in terms of current flow from positive to negative BUT...current is actually flowing negative to positive. (i.e. negatively charged particles attracted to positive potential.) Transfer of electrons from one postively charged atom to the next. Nobody knows or really cares because it is easier to think of power or voltage in terms of potential (or higher threshold). Therfore, higher potential must mean the source of current. I admit although I understand hole theory...because I was taught conventionally, current must flow from postive to negative. Of course it works because the reverse is happening from negative to positive. Where I start to lose it is grounding. A whole science of its own......it at least seems.

/ Portable Generator #74  
Your theory is correct for DC voltage, electrons are negitive and they move to the positive. But AC voltage is moving a 60 cycles a second so it really doesn't make much of a differance in house wiring. The big thing to remember as has been stated before. Make sure the grounds and neutrals are seperated and are connected only where the service enters the building. The two big reasons for this are to keep voltage on the neutral form returning on the ground if the neutral is compromised, and to keep lightning out of the house or try to to keep it out of the electrical system.

Dave in NH

/ Portable Generator #75  
I understand that most Honda generators are of the brush design. A fella from Dewalt explained the advantages of both putting down neither saying each had their advantages. Brushless having more overall potential for power but at the price of having to idle higher to develop the voltage necessary to go to full RPM while at rest. Typical in construction generators where the generators idle down.

/ Portable Generator #76  
What a coincidence. I just ran my generator for an hour with a jigsaw on it for a load. I run it every couple months but I think I should step that up after reading this post.

BTW it's a Generac 4000EXL purchased from Home Depot about 3 years ago. I have about 50 hrs on it and it's never let me down. I really thought I was buying a well made product and it has nice features such as electric start, full pressure lube, oil filter, idle control (lowers rpm at no load), and 5 gallon gas tank.

After reading your post it's hard to believe we have similar products from the same manufacturer. I hope you can get it repaired and it lasts you a long time with no more grief.

Dean

PS. I looked at a Honda with similar features but the price was out of my league. I like Honda though. I have a Civic in the garage that my wife just loves.

/ Portable Generator #77  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( By the way, impressed with your hole theory. Isn't it crazy. On the )</font>

Hole theory went over the heads of about everybody in the electronics class when we first went ove rit. That's what you get when you put people in electronics who didn't sign up for it... I knid of thought of it in QC terms.. and as a 'High early failure rate'.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Soundguy

/ Portable Generator #78  
Reading this thread has left me feeling like I should have spent the big bucks and gone with a Honda generator (twice the money) instead of the Porter Cable (with B&S engine) that I "thought" was a good deal at $500 for 5.25KW... so far it's run fine, sensitive to level and the oil switch, but otherwise okay. Still, when an ice storm knocks out the grid, and you need power for water/heat, you don't want any more complications. Maybe we'll get lucky and not have any 5 day outages this year.

/ Portable Generator #79  
Just noticed this information while looking on another website for transfer equipment: Briggs and Stratton has taken over Generac, at least for portable generators... stay tuned.

/ Portable Generator #80  
I've run a 1/4 tank of gas through my generator reading this thread just to run some type of loads through it. My 1650kw Coleman is 12 years old and never gave me problem yet through 2 ice storms.

Now the new one from HD is the 5.25kw B/S model (thank god not generac) which I haven't needed yet to power the house. Makes me scared if there IS an issue.