Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #31  
The solid beam will not stand the stress that is designed into the gluelam. The Glulam is laid up with KD graded lumber and is superior to a solid piece of the same dimensions. A treated solid post would also have to be bigger in size. Treated lumber is usually not the best structural lumber. You usually have to order beams of any size to be used for load bearing.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #32  
How about PT Paralam beams? I have seen them used as girders(8x8s) but not as in vertical apps.Can you tell me the brand name of what has been decided on?

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #33  
I have been building fence for nearly 50 years, My dad would buy these guaranteed posts that were said to last a life time, it is amazing on how many of them have rotted off and have needed to be replaced over the years, OK now with that said, I do like the pole barn Idea, but I do not like the idea of posts in the ground,
and I have thought that IF I was to build a pole barn I would set in cement (say two channel irons spaced so one could bolt the post in between them, and then either weld or drill some holes in the part under the cement for some rebar anchors.

the channels could be bolted before setting or after, I would use a 5 inch channel for 2x6 and 7 inch for 2x8 laminated posts,

as far as that goes one could use a square tube steel for posts set in concrete, and above ground weld tabs on it to bolt the wood girts and purlins to, or bolt a 2x6 to both sides of a 4x4 tube, if wanted one could rip the wood to the width of the tube, or make a three sided wood for easer carpentry,

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #34  
I'll second keeping the wood out of the soil.
Pour footings with integral, metal attachments to anchor the posts above grade.
This discourages rot, allows you to use shorter posts and allows you to easily remove/replace a damaged post in the future.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #35  

Attachments

• P9120566.JPG
    P9120566.JPG
    663.9 KB · Views: 312
  • P3190697.jpg
    P3190697.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 319
   / Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #36  
Or buy these Perma-column brand, Sturdi-wall brackets like I used...

Perma-Column | What are Sturdi-Wall Brackets

I looked at something like that but they were pricey as all get out. I made my own out of 3/16 flat bar welded to 3/16- 2x2 angel iron pieces 5 inches long. The flat bar pieces were 4 inches wide and about 8 inches high and both the flat bar and the angle pieces were drilled with a 1/2" hole to attach to the concrete pad and the post. I saved enough on these brackets to pay for almost all of the concrete it took to pour my piers.

Attachments

• DSC01852.JPG
    DSC01852.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC01851.JPG
    DSC01851.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 439
   / Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #37  
If you are seeking prices as far away as PA, check out a few miles further into NJ. I am getting ready to break ground on a new home. Medford Cedar has a stash of high tension poles (about 2' - 3' diameter) that they recycle. I am using them for my exposed rafters. They mill them to whatever size you need. I was quoted 4"x10" @ $9/lf. They have no problem getting 20+ foot long ones.

Good luck.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #38  
Or buy these Perma-column brand, Sturdi-wall brackets like I used...

Perma-Column | What are Sturdi-Wall Brackets

I am curious, how far apart did you space them? How high are your sidewalls? Also, what are the specs of your slab, wall, footers, etc? I tried to get some info about spacing of sturdi-wall brackets from a vendor, but they wrote me back saying I should ask a structural engineer. :(

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #39  
I am curious, how far apart did you space them? How high are your sidewalls? Also, what are the specs of your slab, wall, footers, etc? I tried to get some info about spacing of sturdi-wall brackets from a vendor, but they wrote me back saying I should ask a structural engineer. :(

Check what your local code allows. Also has to be something sheathing can marry to also. 4' OC is usual for post&beam.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #40  
Check what your local code allows. Also has to be something sheathing can marry to also. 4' OC is usual for post&beam.

No code requirements where I live. No permits needed for construction, plumbing, etc. here, believe it or not. :)

I was thinking he did post frame, not post and beam. I'm going to build a post frame building, and don't want to sink posts in the ground. Sturdi-wall brackets look thoroughly decent. Poly protectors look dodgy to me. Don't really want to go with lumber link, timber linx (timber link is more a modern spin on timber framing, really). It would be very unwise to use strongtie's post bases for this purpose. Wanting this thing to last a heck of a lot longer than 40 years, and seen too many treated posts dug up that rotted under the 40 year mark.