Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #41  
No code requirements where I live. No permits needed for construction, plumbing, etc. here, believe it or not. :)

I was thinking he did post frame, not post and beam. I'm going to build a post frame building, and don't want to sink posts in the ground. Sturdi-wall brackets look thoroughly decent. Poly protectors look dodgy to me. Don't really want to go with lumber link, timber linx (timber link is more a modern spin on timber framing, really). It would be very unwise to use strongtie's post bases for this purpose. Wanting this thing to last a heck of a lot longer than 40 years, and seen too many treated posts dug up that rotted under the 40 year mark.

I'm curious what the cost of these Sturdi-wall brackets is. I looked at the strong tie brackets at Lowes and they may be really strong but they look cheezy for what they want for them; over $27.00 a pop. I didn't see the Sturdi wall bkts when I was looking. After looking at the ones at Lowes and the cost of them I made my own......similar to the Sturdi wall bkts, only I used 8" anchor bolts in my piers rather than the welded rebar to the bottom of the brackets like the sturdi wall brackets seem to have.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #42  
I'm curious what the cost of these Sturdi-wall brackets is. I looked at the strong tie brackets at Lowes and they may be really strong but they look cheezy for what they want for them; over $27.00 a pop. I didn't see the Sturdi wall bkts when I was looking. After looking at the ones at Lowes and the cost of them I made my own......similar to the Sturdi wall bkts, only I used 8" anchor bolts in my piers rather than the welded rebar to the bottom of the brackets like the sturdi wall brackets seem to have.

I agree, strongtie bases were meant for stuff like decks mainly. Anyways, they are paper thin compared to these babies.

$36.65, not including the bolts: SWP66 for 6" x 6" Post

Found a thread here where the builder uses sturdi-wall brackets. Looks like he is spacing them 7.5' oc, but sidewall height is like 16'. (I hope I'm not going to get beechslapped for posting a link to another forum.) Garage Project.... - The Garage Journal Board

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #43  
PA200526.JPGPA200529.JPGP3210718.jpgP3200700.jpgP3200701.jpgP3200705.JPGP3200706.JPGHey there, just noticed the discussion flaring up again. I used the Sturdiwall brackets on about 7.5 foot centers. I used the three 2x6 variety, and my builder built the 2x6 poast assemblies on-site with pine. This allowed him to cut the center one to the ceiling height exactly before assembling the posts, so the truss sets in there later just mint. Note, I used the "Drill set" brackets Perma-Column | Sturdi-Wall | Drill Set Models
but instead of driling I wet-set huge J-bolts during the pour, using templates I plasma cut. the j-bolts were 5/8" X 10 I think. Two of them per bracket of course. I remember paying about $17 per bracket. They are 1/4" thick steel, nicely fabircated and welded, and powder coated.
I might as well post a link to a thread I have been keeping up, with the full story of the build, with some great photos too. Its a long thread, but you get the idea just scanning all the photos. http://www.workshopaddict.com/forum/layout-design/146-35x60-shop-design-minnesota.html

Attachments

• P3190697.jpg
    P3190697.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 764
  • P9120566.JPG
    P9120566.JPG
    663.9 KB · Views: 657
   / Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #44  
No code requirements where I live. No permits needed for construction, plumbing, etc. here, believe it or not. :)

I was thinking he did post frame, not post and beam. I'm going to build a post frame building, and don't want to sink posts in the ground. Sturdi-wall brackets look thoroughly decent. Poly protectors look dodgy to me. Don't really want to go with lumber link, timber linx (timber link is more a modern spin on timber framing, really). It would be very unwise to use strongtie's post bases for this purpose. Wanting this thing to last a heck of a lot longer than 40 years, and seen too many treated posts dug up that rotted under the 40 year mark.

Texas as well as every state has building codes. Almost all states follow the standard IBC (Internation Building Code) with each states own amendments to them. Texas is one of them. Look at the IBC 2012 for reference. Not suggesting it as a requirement, I am suggesting it because since your asking you don't know and it is the best reference for you to start since you are leery of speaking with an engineer. Code books have pre-engineered charts for you already :thumbsup:

Sturdi-wall is the way to go. If you want it to last then I would follow something like this:

If PT posts, go with 6x6 and make sure they are dry first. Either way wrap the bottom of the post with some kind of membrane like Ice&water from moisture (yes even if you use the sturdi-wall brackets). 8' o.c. for posts, 2x8 pt sash across the bottom. 24" o.c. 2x4 girders.

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #45  
Texas as well as every state has building codes. Almost all states follow the standard IBC (Internation Building Code) with each states own amendments to them. Texas is one of them. Look at the IBC 2012 for reference. Not suggesting it as a requirement, I am suggesting it because since your asking you don't know and it is the best reference for you to start since you are leery of speaking with an engineer. Code books have pre-engineered charts for you already :thumbsup:

Sturdi-wall is the way to go. If you want it to last then I would follow something like this:

If PT posts, go with 6x6 and make sure they are dry first. Either way wrap the bottom of the post with some kind of membrane like Ice&water from moisture (yes even if you use the sturdi-wall brackets). 8' o.c. for posts, 2x8 pt sash across the bottom. 24" o.c. 2x4 girders.

Thanks for the tips. :) I really do appreciate it.

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about codes. Sorry about that. What I meant is I am not legally bound to abide by any codes nor seek any permissions when building here. Except septic install that is. Not required to get any permits or inspections of it, in this little section of the boondocks we are simply expected to abide by certain laws regarding septic installation, but we are on our honor. It would be 100% legal for me to build my house with pallets, and plumb it with garden hose. It's like heaven, I tell you. :)

/ Post for workshop.....Solid vs Glulam #46  
View attachment 283009View attachment 283010View attachment 283004View attachment 283005View attachment 283006View attachment 283007View attachment 283008Hey there, just noticed the discussion flaring up again. I used the Sturdiwall brackets on about 7.5 foot centers. I used the three 2x6 variety, and my builder built the 2x6 poast assemblies on-site with pine. This allowed him to cut the center one to the ceiling height exactly before assembling the posts, so the truss sets in there later just mint. Note, I used the "Drill set" brackets Perma-Column | Sturdi-Wall | Drill Set Models
but instead of driling I wet-set huge J-bolts during the pour, using templates I plasma cut. the j-bolts were 5/8" X 10 I think. Two of them per bracket of course. I remember paying about $17 per bracket. They are 1/4" thick steel, nicely fabircated and welded, and powder coated.
I might as well post a link to a thread I have been keeping up, with the full story of the build, with some great photos too. Its a long thread, but you get the idea just scanning all the photos. 35X60 shop design in Minnesota

Thanks for weighing in. :) Lovely work, by the way.