Potato Hiller for pumpkins?

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins?
What do you guys do for fertilizer?

Thanks for the links. The first one said to expect 2500 to 3000 pumpkins,acre! I've never come close to that. I average about 400-500/acre depending on the year. What do you get an acre?

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #24  
We plant 1 to 2 350' rows of pumpkins annually on 4' wide 7"deep raised beds with black plastic mulch.

Our plastic mulched pumpkins are ready on average about 1 to 1.5 weeks before identical plants in soil only.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #25  
Each row ends up as 8' wide for harvest. A 350' long row last year yielded approximately 500 pumpkins at 3' per planting, 3 plants per hole, 1.5 pumpkins per plant. Planted jack-o-lantern's weighing in about 30-40#'s each.

ZDB- How much does the black plastic cost?

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #27  
4'x4000' of 1mil is running around $95 a roll this year
4'x4000' of 1.5mil is running around $145

We have used both, with all our rocks and deer hooves the 1.5mil holds up to punctures and wind whip better.

I've heard the plastic limits the amount of water and nutrients the plant gets and doesnt allow the secondary root systems to form.

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #29  
We plant 1 to 2 350' rows of pumpkins annually on 4' wide 7"deep raised beds with black plastic mulch.

Our plastic mulched pumpkins are ready on average about 1 to 1.5 weeks before identical plants in soil only.

ZDB, Would you say it was the raised beds or the plastic mulch which made your pumpkins mature earlier?

/ Potato Hiller for pumpkins? #30  
I've heard the plastic limits the amount of water and nutrients the plant gets and doesnt allow the secondary root systems to form.

I side dress granular fertilizer when the seed is planted and again just before plants start to vine. Now if you drip irrigate under the plastic mulch you can add all the nutrients directly to the plants as you irrigate.