Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #32  
Here's my ten year old thread with the only sure way I've ever found to not spill oil. It's called a pail tipper. I pour the oil into an empty Mobil One 5 qt empty container, using a funnel. It's marked on the side so I can see how much oil and not overfill anything.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #33  
Here's my ten year old thread with the only sure way I've ever found to not spill oil. It's called a pail tipper. I pour the oil into an empty Mobil One 5 qt empty container, using a funnel. It's marked on the side so I can see how much oil and not overfill anything.

Never even heard of something like that👍.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221205-162224.png
    Screenshot_20221205-162224.png
    332.5 KB · Views: 78
   / Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #34  
The proper way is simply pour with spout on top🙄 like others have said, sheesh can't get any easier then that.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #35  
The proper way is simply pour with spout on top🙄 like others have said, sheesh can't get any easier then that.
What happened to the old pails that came with the vents all ready in the lid of the pail? Must be cutting costs again and simply making life more difficult for the average Joe. True BS in my opinion.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail
What happened to the old pails that came with the vents all ready in the lid of the pail? Must be cutting costs again and simply making life more difficult for the average Joe. True BS in my opinion.

I think everyone knows you pour from the top because you have to.
Because there's no vent.

If there was a vent no fool would pour from the top.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #37  
I just pour it with the spout on top vertically... No issue.

^^ This ^^

Also.... Start with spout at 12:00, as the pail empties.... I'll rotate it so the spout is now maybe on the side.....call it 3:00 still getting good air past it, then at the end, rotate so spout is at the bottom, 6:00, to get it all out.

Please don't ask me what I'm up to when I have the spout at 4:28.....

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #38  
Drill pump for hydraulic oil:
1670682712018.png

Hand pump for gear oil:
1670682795471.png

My back thanks me every time for spending that $50 for the pair of these.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #39  
This entire thread was interesting and also educational. I've learned several various ways to pour oils/fuels out of a 5 gallon pail. Some of the simplest ways are the ones I've never thought of (placing the pail on a bench [with spout up top] and simply turning the pail slightly - Genius!!) that just never occurred to me!

I usually never have a need to use only a few quarts or gallons of a 5 gallon jug, if I needed 5 gallons I used to just lift and pour it - glug after glug! I no longer desire to lift and pour!

I have used Sodo's vent caps (in various sized containers) and they are extremely easy to use after initial insertion into the lid or top of container. But the best tip I've ever gotten [from TBN] about 5 gallon pail emptying has been the 12 vdc fuel transfer pumps! I've used several different styles and they are (to me) the easiest thing to use! I've yet to try my pump with hydraulic or motor oil but I am sure it will work fine.

To each their own choice; but all experiences shared are welcomed by me as I learn different ways to think "outside" the box with every new idea/thought passed along! Thanks

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail
I hafta say..... whenever i pick up a pail that has a vent in it....

I never think: "what a waste of 90 cents".
I think: "Oh good, this is gonna be easy."