Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's

/ Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's #21  
You may not be so quick to buy when you see the price for the 1850 of $38,000 for the bare "tractor", add $4K-6K for a mower and you have a $44,000 lawnmower.

Laughs. Obviously you have never used one of these, FYI, the thing I use mine for the least is mowing. They are one of the most versatile machines out there. They are the perfect solution for every situation but they definitely have their place. Would I pay $38K for one? No because I do not have a full time need. But if I did, absolutely!!! I could not say that for the various CUTs I have owned or used.

Ken

/ Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's #22  
You may not be so quick to buy when you see the price for the 1850 of $38,000 for the bare "tractor", add $4K-6K for a mower and you have a $44,000 lawnmower.

Thanks for the laughs here, too. I'm with SpringHollow, and yes, I don't us it that often for mowing, but when I do, I know it is worth every penny. My least used are probably trenching and fence post driving, but both of those paid for themselves in a couple of uses.

"Walk a mile in someone's shoes..." It might be me, but I'd suggest that you use one, then comment.

Most PT owners have used other tractors, and recognize that it's different strokes for different folks and properties. For PT owners, these machines are practically custom built. These days, I no longer need to pull an 18 gang plow, and my PT is absolutely the wrong tool for that in my opinion. The JD9560 is a different story- it does a fantastic job at plowing, but I have friends who plow with CAT D11s instead, at $2MM+/each because their needs are different.

If you have slopes, or need low impact machines, or both, these are amazing units.

Try mowing a 45 degree slope with a mower besides that $44k PT "lawnmower" you were poking fun at and you will be in contention for a well earned Darwin Award. I lost my first friend and neighbor to a slope mowing accident when I was 14. In less than ninety days, a multigenerational homestead farm was wiped out and sold.

Seriously, go treat yourself to a trip to Tazewell and try one out. You may decide that they are the last machines you need, or your new found favorite for your property, but at least you will have the benefit of some seat time. Whether it works for you is a personal decision based on your needs.

Personally, I would suggest that you might consider that the PT owners on this subforum probably did do their homework before buying their Power-Tracs and using them. You might consider that they know something based on that and their personal experiences with the PTs.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's
PT1850 on a hillside. Most machines won't go UP these slopes, let alone ACROSS these slopes....

Advance to 1:15 in this video and take the clean underwear challenge.... :laughing:

Here's a little 422 digging a post hole....

Wrong tool for the job.... he's using a lawn mower to pull out a beaver dam!!

/ Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's #27  
The one thing that gets me is PT calls the 1850 a slope mower. I know their main client for the machine is the government but man, all I do is tractoring with my 1850. Post Holes, Grapple, Bucket Scoops, Grading, Raking and now and then mowing...

If I had the funds (you can't spell funds without F.U.N.), I'd like to try a 1850 and a 1460 with a grapple bucket out in my woods. I wonder what the slope rating on the 1460 is?

Anyhow, I'm pretty darn happy with my little 425. I could stand just a little less top end speed for a little more low end, but that's about it. As I understand it, the newer model 425s have different wheel motors than my 2001 model, so maybe they are just right now.

/ Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's #29  
Advance to 1:15 in this video and take the clean underwear challenge.... :laughing:

That also illustrates why I put studded V-link chains on my PT-1430, though I mow my 30 degree slopes up and down, rather than across the slope. A disadvantage of a front-cut mower is that you are driving in the wet, slippery stuff that the blades just chopped up....

With an articulating tractor, you often need traction on all four wheels, such as when a heavy bucket load is trying to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Another reason why I'm running loaded R-1s with chains all around...
large.57fe70583ad23_30247221985_0fc92b4e3c_k(1).jpg.37429308688552f632d96ca1de971a10.jpg

Last edited:
   / Power Trac TV commercial from the 90's #30  

With an articulating tractor, you often need traction on all four wheels, such as when a heavy bucket load is trying to lift the rear wheels off the ground. Another reason why I'm running loaded R-1s with chains all around...
View attachment 503693

Good pic. Looks like it was 'shot' with a drone.