PowrReverser operation.

/ PowrReverser operation. #11  
please be careful. if ya get off the tractor and it is running. put the gear shift into neutral along with the (F-N-R) lever. it is way to easy to hit that thing with your leg, or a tool or something and nock the tractor back into gear.

That is a good point about the reverser lever

/ PowrReverser operation. #12  
I'm waiting on delivery of a JD 5075M... likely be mid-April. In the mean time, I'm wondering a bit about the change over from working with my eHydro JD 110 to working the PowrReverser on the 75M.

Never worked with a Reverser machine - unless you classify a JD 644 wheel loader as having a "Reverser" transmision. (It has a shifting lever on the steering column with F-R-N).

Nonetheless, the literature on the 75M said something to the effect that "you only need to use the clutch to start the tractor" and operation afterwards could be completed by shifting the column shifter between F-R-N.

To my way of thinking; that would mean in a front loader application - approach the pile, stab the dirt, flip to N before much wheel spin, tilt bucket, flip to R and back up, flip to N as straightening front wheels, flip to F to travel to dump location.

Sound about right...?

Thanks for feedback and clarification.

AKfish

It is more like the 644 then you think.

Don't bother. It requires the same physical effort as using the turn signals on your car. If you are lazy like me, you can also use the power reverser lever to clutch with when shifting gears through your 16 speeds. Remember that "Neutral" on the power reverser lever is really "clutch in". Only shifting between ranges requires you to be standing still. I do most loader work without my left foot having to do anything.

I thought I was the only one that does that.

please be careful. if ya get off the tractor and it is running. put the gear shift into neutral along with the (F-N-R) lever. it is way to easy to hit that thing with your leg, or a tool or something and nock the tractor back into gear.

also be careful when ya got a full heavy bucket in the FEL. i have slipped and went from F to R and vice vs. and either front wheels got real light or the rear end got real light due to not braking and slowing down.

for the 555c i have, it says in manual to have lower RPMs as well when ya shift. i would assume for your tractor as well. but i honestly don't know.

while going faster in reverse may get ya some. once ya get use to it. being able to wip in, get what ya need then just keep on going in reverse can be pretty handy.

You got me thinking now but I thought that it wouldn't shift unless your butt was in the seat?

* My experience is on a powerquad.

/ PowrReverser operation. #13  

A wise precaution, however mine will not shift into forward or reverse if I'm not in the seat. Even if I get back in the seat, then shift the power reverser, nothing will happen except the "Neutral" dash light indicator will flash. I must push the foot clutch in and out to tell the tractor's computer that I'm actually back in the seat.

/ PowrReverser operation. #14  
forgive me. the ford 555c. most of the stuff when i got it was removed or disabled. lights, heater, windshields, alarms, etc... it was a used tractor, so with new tractors and there computerized safety things. i just don't know about. and with some folks disabling some things on purpose. rather be safe than sorry. i have also been known to hit the gear shift button on the gear shift handle and slide it into gear. and as a result i will no longer crawl in or out from the right side of the 555c. even if i have walk clear around the tractor, dirt piles or what ever just to pick up a little piece of glass that might of caught my eye or another sharp object. granted another thing is the levers for the FEL are also right near the gear shift. so needless to say, getting off on right hand side of tractor for me. has become a big no no.

/ PowrReverser operation. #15  
It's exactly as you say. I love the power reverser on my JD3520, especially for loader work or hedge trimming with the hydraulic cutter bar. Hardly ever use the N position, except the lever has to be there for the engine to crank. I usually shift directly from F to R and back but the engine must be kept at relatively low revs otherwise you get a shock and will soon need new tyres.

/ PowrReverser operation.
I ordered the 16x16 transmission. I won't be using the tractor for any heavy ground engagement work - plowing, working a disc harrow, etc. So, I didn't see the 32x16 as a "must have" option.

Yep, got the cab. With the modulator control. The added wait time was due to the fact that I changed my order from the 65M to the 75M.

Feedback from TBNer's pushed me to the 75... (I told my wife I've been "brainwashed" - she said that's not possible - no brain..) :eek:

One of the "must have" options that I wanted was the remote 3pt controls on the left fender. Can't get that without the Deluxe cab. And the 65M doesn't offer the D-cab; only standard cab.

Interesting concept - shifting the tranny (not range) without the clutch - using the reverser in neutral. Never heard of that before!

I've hooked the FEL joystick with my jacket and pant leg before... :eek: Trippen' the tractor forward or reverse could be a major catastrophe!

AKfish

/ PowrReverser operation.
A wise precaution, however mine will not shift into forward or reverse if I'm not in the seat. Even if I get back in the seat, then shift the power reverser, nothing will happen except the "Neutral" dash light indicator will flash. I must push the foot clutch in and out to tell the tractor's computer that I'm actually back in the seat.

OK... after you clutch in/out to "reset" the computer do you still use the clutch very often or not much?

AKfish

/ PowrReverser operation. #18  
II've hooked the FEL joystick with my jacket and pant leg before... :eek: Trippen' the tractor forward or reverse could be a major catastrophe!

AKfish

I've hooked the joy stick as well as the shifter (on my old 790). Good way to fall off the tractor face first (how do ya think I got this pretty?)

So, you're going back to "Manly" tractors with a gear tranny. Boy, if it's got a vertical exhaust, I'll have to start calling you MR.AKfish.

/ PowrReverser operation. #19  
OK... after you clutch in/out to "reset" the computer do you still use the clutch very often or not much?

AKfish

Almost never (foot clutch, that is) Remember that when moving the power reverser to "neutral", you are still clutching, but with your finger instead. So you simply have two methods of using the clutch.

So, as an example, if I'm spearing a round bale from the stack (I'll be in range B, 2nd gear, just above idle), as I see the spear penetrate the bale and the SSQA plate almost reach the front of the bale, I flip the lever to "N" and the tractor stops. As I lift with the joystick, I'm already on the lever flipping into reverse and backing away.

I do all this in one seamless motion without touching the brakes or having to take my left hand off of the steering wheel. You see the reverser lever is always within easy reach of your fingertips because it is close to the steering wheel. The lever moves with the telescoping steering wheel too, so it is never out of easy reach. One of many subtle ergonomic traits that makes these JDs more user friendly than some lesser makes.

I'll use the foot clutch for close-in precise positioning only, such as when switching tools on the SSQA.

/ PowrReverser operation. #20  
AKfish, remember that the power reverser is not like lets say a case backhoe tranny i.e. on the PR trans when you move the lever to F you are going to be moving as soon as you move the lever (R is the same of course) even if you are just at idle; it's not like moving the lever just puts it in gear and waits for throtlle input like on the backhoe. That being said, you will get used to a timing method for loader work that you should find very smooth. Just remember, once you move that lever you will be going in that direction even with an idling machine; but practice makes perfect!