Pressure Washers?

/ Pressure Washers? #21  
Cowboydoc, great signature! But might that throw be a bit embelished? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bill Cook

/ Pressure Washers? #22  
One other comment about Honda vs any other engine.

When we sold a Honda Mower we had to take the mower out front and show the customer how to start and operate it. As I walked with the customer out front I'ld say, "This mower will start on the 3rd pull. You will see some blue smoke come out. That's caused my some extra oil on the cylinder. It will burn off within 2 minutes." On the third pull the mower would start, just about every time. Then we had to go through a check list with the customer that Honda made us do. Pretty smart, I thought.

I put myself through school selling Electolux vacuums door-to-door. After graduating I stayed with them for another 14 years. Why? Back then they were the best vac on the market and worth the extra money. This made them easy to sell. They sold themselves. I think the same way about a Honda engine. They are priced higher, but cost a lot less over time.

Bill Cook

/ Pressure Washers? #23  
You MUST (for safety's sake) have a GFI somewhere in the line! Our code says that any outdoor outlets or switches require GFI. If you've got one available, thats great.
You could create one with a regular extension cord:

Cut the female end off, replace it with an outdoor-class box and install a GFI outlet inside. I always buy the 20 Amp GFI because they are not much more than the 15 Amp. As long as you are doing this, make sure you get a good extension cord, like 10 or 12 gauge.

An added advantage to the outlet is that,if it does trip, it's right there so you can reset it... a circuit breaker is much more expensive and a lot bigger hassle ( at least, for me it is 'cause my panel is in the basement/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ Pressure Washers? #24  
Mark, maybe M.Sullivan lives in an area like mine. Once you leave the meter and master panel, there are NO codes out here in the country; just do whatever you want to, and you wouldn't believe some of the things the prior owner did here./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Bird

/ Pressure Washers? #25  
Bird,
I live in the "country" part of town. We definately have codes, but noone comes by to check them, unless you get a contractor to do the job. I do my own, and I always try to be intelligent, which seems to cover the code fairly closely, so far.

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ Pressure Washers? #26  
A trip down Memory Lane? I can't resist it even if I'm going against the grain. When I lived in Wisconsin I had a 2-stage, self-propelled, 8-horsepower snowblower with a Tecumseh engine for several years and it worked great. I sold it to a friend and he's still using it. It was especially designed for winter use--special carb and shrouds, electric start (plug it in the 110 volt socket) and such. However, I've also had lawnmowers with Techumseh engines and they were a pain. The carbs had so much tin and wire on them that something was always bending, breaking, or falling off (Just try to figure out where that dinky piece of wire goes!). Regarding power washers. I have had an electric one from K-Mart for many years and I've been amazed that it just keeps going. The only constructive advice I can give is BE CAREFUL! These things will remove paint, etch wood siding, and put water in unbelieveably inaccessible places.

/ Pressure Washers? #27  
I bought a reconditioned processure washer this weekend at the Power Show in Columbus, OH. It's a 5 HP Honda engine and is supposed to provice 2200 PSI at 3 GPM... $390 with warrantee... Guess I won't buy the one on the internet!

Monte [image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=495196&a=11224089&p=39301020[/image]

/ Pressure Washers? #28  
Mark, your code probably says even more then that. Garage plugs, bath and kitchen plugs within 6' of a sink, spas, pools, etc are all part of the NEC. I used to hate GFI's that would trip in the early morning dew on the construction site. Since then, they have not only gotten better, but now I feel vulnerable without them, and my profession is an electrician. Remember, the GFI will not trip if you simply grab the hot and neutral wire and are not grounded. For example, if you have in one hand, a hot wire, and in the other hand the neutral (not ground), you will at the very least get a tingle and at the worst cardiac arrest. Just to let you know that you can't get lazy when dealing with electricity. Rat...

P.S. the electric power washers can also be a great way to go, I've used a 1.5 hp, but would recommend a 3 hp which means a 240V 30 amp circuit. They are nice and quiet and always start.

/ Pressure Washers? #29  
Ohio Power show

How was the power show? I wanted to go, but had conflicting family commitments...

/ Pressure Washers? #30  
Just a word of caution on electric codes. It is ok for a homeowner to do whatever he or she wants in their own house without anyone checking for code compliance BUT and this is a big BUT.....If there is ever a fire due to the enhancements made by the homeowner and it did not comply with the codes, the insurance company may not have to pay the claim. In addition, should you ever want to sell your home, the prospective buyers mortgage company will request an inspection which will include a board of fire underwriters certification (This is the electrical inspector).
If there are code violations or work done without a permit there is a good chance that the buyer can opt out of the deal unless you fix the violations.
This may not be the way it is all over the country but here in NY state they are pretty strick about it. I know....I put in a swimming pool and all the electric for it without a permit or inspection ( Everything was to code) and when I went to sell the house I had to get a permit and an inspection before the buyers mortgage company would grant a mortgage.