Price differential NX open station vs cab

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab #21  
The NX Cabs have AC and Heat. These aren't options to be add or removed.

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab
Does it have heat and a/c for that Price? Sometimes they get sneaky and won't have one or the other.

Momentary heart palpitation! When I read that I could say that I wasn't sure. But, had they not been standard the dealer would have pitched them at me: I was pitched a locking fuel cap and I went with that! :laughing: (save me a bit of time running one down) As cutthroat noted, AC and heat are standard: I'm feeling warmer AND cooler about that! :D Anyway, it's a pretty good value: I'll just have to work really hard on not smashing the thing up!

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab #23  
You'll be surprised on the heat and A/C...you have to turn them down on the hottest and coldest days...both are kick donky.

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab #24  
DieselBound.....your situation sounds very close to mine. I have had my B7800 for ten years. Bought it brand new in 2007, have 854 hours on it now and it's been a great worker for me. It's just a bit too small for my property and it was what I could afford at the time but I've always wished I'd gotten bigger with more capabilities (remotes, etc.) I too own 40 acres of my own and take care of 118. I barely have a level spot on the property, mostly woods, lots of brush that needs maintained, I finish mow about 10 acres and bush hog probably 20 or so, cut firewood, have a mile long hilly driveway that needs graded in the warm weather and plowed in the winter, etc. I'm sure you get the point.

I've done all of that with a 2wd John Deere 2155 (not ideal) and then my B7800 which has been a solid machine except for design flaws that seem like a Kubota engineer who never had any seat time designed. It's now time and I decided to trade it in on a Kioti NX5010 HST Cab. I'm wondering if you have any advice from your experience in making the switch from the 7800 to the NX. Looking back from today, are you glad you did it, what would you have done differently, etc? Also, what have you noticed about the difference between the two machines that might prove useful to me making almost the same switch?

I'd appreciate any input/thoughts you have. I hope that Kioti is working out for you. I'm a little nervous making the switch from my Kubota to the Kioti and considering it's a lot of money to do so, I want to make solid decisions, obviously.

Thanks from PA!

iamhistory, yeah, I guess I could say I have a few pointers :D

I've put on about 1,200 hrs on my B7800 in seven years. My first tractor and my battle tested friend. Never did I consider getting rid of it. I recently used it to set poles for a woodshed that I'm building; my Kioti was at the shop getting the rear axle cases resealed: not stressed because the B7800 was still available, AND, it was the perfect tool for the job (working in tight spaces). The B7800 was also useful in getting my Kioti out of a jam: I did something stupid and the Kioti pinned at the head end of building a road, full dump trailer in tow; trailer started slipping off the road and I had no way to go forward or backward with the Kioti; dumped the trailed load, pushed the material out of the way with the B7800 and then used the B7800 to pull the trailer back up on to the road (also had to use a cable and cable puller off of a tree).

Biggest thing is that of size. The B7800 is a small-frame tractor, it IS small. After operating this for as many hours as I have, and its nimbleness, I could almost do anything with it blindfolded I know it so well. When I started operating the NX5510 I was afraid I was going to be smashing into all sorts of things! (I put it to work in some tight spots.) Don't fight that sense, as it forces you to become familiar with the larger size of the tractor. GO SLOW at first! And later on ALWAYS make sure you're aware of the location/swing of your implements (having a box blade and a bush hog that are 1,000+ lbs means you can do a lot of damage if you hit stuff with them, stuff that you DON'T want to hit!).

Next is that it's "slower" than the B7800. That is, because it's drive-by-wire the response times are not like they are with the B7800. With the B7800 I can whip it around (stop<->go, forward<->backward) nearly causing whiplash! Loader is faster on the B7800 as well: Kubota biases for speed over weight, and, esp, with this smaller tractor if comes in very handy.

Going from an open-station tractor to a cabbed one takes a bit of getting used to. You have to be aware of what's around you when you need to open doors. If you're venturing into tight spaces always keep in mind where you can stop such that you'll be able to open a door (this means possibly anticipating getting stuck!). Also, with all the safety switches on the Kioti I am not hopping in/out of it like with the Kubota: I literally let off the travel pedal on the B7800 and jump off! (hard to do that on the Kiot, you know, with the door and all :laughing:)

I have a greater fear of breaking stuff on the Kioti than on the Kubota. From what I've read size is likely a big reason why: it's perhaps a little easier to make a smaller tractor beefier- the LA410 loader on the B7800, other than having one lift cylinder fail on me, is nearly indestructible. And breaking stuff on the Kioti is going to cost more to fix (and general maintenance is more costly too owing to the larger fluid capacities and the filters are just darn expensive [coming down in price though]).

The Kioti is VERY powerful. The ergonomics are nice. Perhaps the biggest thing for me was the stabilizers on the 3pt arms and the adjustable ends; and, the ability to raise and lower the arms from in the back of the tractor. I'd tried all sorts of things for the B7800 and just gave up: resorted to cursing whenever I had to hook up something that's not QH (I don't have a QH, but with the removable pins on QH equipment I can just raise the arms and then pin). I also got two additional rear remotes; I know that having a hydraulic top link on the B7800 would have made my life a LOT easier.

Oh yeah, the SSQA on the loader! Just about any newer tractor is going to have this, but having lived without one and now having one is a pretty big deal.

The difference in weight is readily noticed. One cannot appreciate how important weight is until one experiences a tractor that's got some real weight to it. My ground it pretty soft and I was worried about having too much weigh. It's just a fact of life for me, so I just make sure to not operate on soft ground (have to schedule projects/work based on time of the year). I shelled out for a higher-end box blade (1,200 lbs) and having that weight (and with ballasted rears) really means that this tractor can do some actual ground-engaging work.

OK, there's other stuff, but it's less substantial (but adds to the enjoyment of the Kioti- with a cab I have stereo [rear and front (when not broken!) cameras], avoid getting torn up by blackberries and bugs, stay drier and have heat and A/C etc.). The BIGGEST thing, however, is to understand what you need a tractor/tool to do for you. With the number of hours you've run your B7800 and having been on your property for some time you're in a good position to know. Had I attempted to get a bigger tractor from the start I may not have gotten it nearly as right: and I may have also tried doing stuff on my property that I've learned I ought not to. Doing "bigger stuff" means bigger equipment, which means "bigger price." As long as you're actually doing "bigger stuff" then it's unlikely that you're going to have regrets about your purchase. I have racked up 225 hours in the first year of owning the Kioti. It was engaged in a lot of activity, foremost, and one of the big justifications for the tractor, was in my fencing project: I bought a [used] dump trailer ($4k) just for this project! Once I had all the ground set the Kioti was used sparingly- I was too busy with the fencing work to have it doing other things, otherwise I'd have racked up more hours.

Implements will cost quite a bit more. I bought my grapple and pallet forks new because used grapples aren't readily available around here, and the cost of the pallet forks wasn't all that substantial (and here too these don't show up on the used market). Also bought my box blade new, though I came close to buying used (one I was interested got sold before I could establish shipping costs- yeah, paying lots of money for shipping was still placing the implement at a competitive price point). A 6' bush hog of medium duty (keep in mind that while "medium duty" might sound less than beastly, if one is truly "medium duty" it IS beastly- heavy duty and extreme duty ones are gawd awful beastly!) was also looking next to impossible to find on the used market around me (maybe one year pops up); but, like with many things, patience paid off and I landed one.

Not sure I'll ever get to the point where I can say that the Kioti is fully depreciated (like I can with the B7800), but I know that I'll now be able to do a lot more of the things that weren't possible with the B7800. I also view it as a kind of insurance policy, with the grapple I'm no longer trying to shove crap into a bucket- less abuse of my body = less physical down time (medial costs).

It's only been 1 year and 225 hrs. Would I do it again? I got my big fencing project done. Wouldn't have happened without the Kioti (and my dump trailer). I knew it would work for this project because I knew exactly what I was going to be doing: again, understand your requirements- I KNEW I had access to a lot of material just up the road from me; this would require POWER and a trailer- I had 85 run in total for one stretch of fencing (a few more for other places). I had some early issues with the cab leaking and a twisted loader (both promptly resolved). And then at 200 hrs (approx) I noticed a leak at the rear axle casing; it was also readily dealt with. I was fortunate in the none of these issues got in the way of me doing actual work: I was pretty much done with my fencing work when I noticed the axle leak).

In case you hadn't run across it, a thread on my tractor is here.

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab #26  
Wow, thank you. Thanks for taking the time to write that and include detail like you did. You are spot on with your assessment of the 7800. I like my Kubota alot and can whip it around without thinking, as you described you do. I need to give it up in a trade as I need to equity I have in it to get the bigger machine. I probably ycould find many uses around here for two different sized machines but the Kubota has to be sacrificed.

I had to have the injectors replaced at 650 hours which was irritating. Kubota said that sometimes happens but they weren't doing anything with a warranty as my tractor was 8 years old at that point. I had problems with the 3 point at least 3 times and again had to debate with them the very first time to get it fixed and I still had to put money out of pocket.

With the 6 year warranty on the Kioti and the larger price tag on the Kubota cab models for fewer features and paying extra for things that are standard on the Kioti......it just seemed like the right choice. Believe me, this has been on my mind for 3 years now and I just now decided to finally get it done. It took my wife to convince me because I typically just make due and I do not like to spend money.

I'm going to miss my 7800 as I've spent a lot of time with tractor....it actually makes me a little sad. But I am excited to get the new machine and get working with it. I also struggled with switching from Kubota to Kioti as I don't know much about them. It's a little bit of a leap of faith I guess. I feel like it'll be a quality machine.

I did think about the weight difference. I NEED more weight, but at times it can be dangerous around here. I have a 1959 International 560 gas that is a heavy beast. It doesn't run anymore and is more of a project tractor but when I would run that, I had to be on my toes.....especially with a hoe on the back.

The cab was my main concern when I was deciding. I was going to just go with another open station but figured that cab sure would be nice. I spent many a frigid late night and days in heavy coveralls covered in snow as I plowed for 4 hours. I am sure I'll appreciate the climate control. I too am hoping to keep from getting any damage to the cab because of my paths and lots of woods I work in. I guess I'll just have to do some jobs to clear things up a bit.

I'm looking forward to the adventure. Thanks for the sage advice and your insight.

Make sure to get your rear wheels turned out/set at max width, and, of course, ballasted. The ballast helps move your center of gravity lower.

Most of the trees I get near are smaller alders or maples, the later which tend to have their branches up high enough they're not an issue. Although blackberries won't damage the glass they WILL damage the seals around the glass; I will travel along heavy blackberries with the windows opened up and as a result I have a lot of pricks in the seal: they, blackberries, put up quite the fight, but I get them in the end! :thumbsup: Just operate slowly/deliberately when you're around trees. Probably a bigger concern is with debris getting kicked up: I had a piece of wood fly out up and over my grapple and dent my hood (most people worry about damage to their front grills, but in over 1,400 hrs of tractor time here I have yet to do that- grill on the B7800 has been mashed a bit, but nothing fatal).

My B7800 probably wouldn't have fetched me all that much had I traded it in (not even sure if they took trade-ins), and, most certainly, I wouldn't have gotten what it's worth to me. My wife will end up using it (or so she figures) to mow (will be looking to pick up a flail).

/ Price differential NX open station vs cab #28  
Make sure to get your rear wheels turned out/set at max width, and, of course, ballasted. The ballast helps move your center of gravity lower.

I have my tires loaded in the Kubota and also am getting them loaded in the Kioti. I probably know what you mean but am having a bit of a brain freeze.....what do you mean by turning the rear wheels out? Just setting them wide for stability?

As you mentioned in a previous post, I am looking forward to the improved 3 point hitch system becaue I too did some cursing when trying to change implements on the 7800. Of course in 10 years I got efficient at it, but sometimes that thing can be a bugger. The turnbuckle system sucks too. Weak and too lightly built. The bigger 3 point on the new tractor will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of picking up one of the Pat's Quick Hitch systems also. Have thought about that for years and probably ought to do that for the new machine.

Currently already have a Bush Hog, Box Blade, Rear blade, post hole digger, seeder/fertilizer, rotary tiller, quick attach frame, homemade 3 point trailer hitch, and a belly mower for the Kubota but that'll be part of the trade.

Purchased a 6ft grapple with the Kioti and have a hydraulic ssqa front snow plow, and a Phoenix/Sicma medium duty 3point finish mower on order. Am plannning on a backhoe but that'll have to be saved up for.

The rears rims are, I believe, offset such that turning them around (or the mounts to the rims?) moves the offset in or out.

I had Pat's on the B7800. I used it after the QH didn't hook up to my box blade (QH-like, but apparently not standard spec?). I eventually tired of messing with them; I opted to change out my bush hog (QH - just being able to raise the lower link arms and then stick in the pins was/is a huge win). I have no intension of getting Pat's for the Kioti; reason being is that you still have to attach the top-link, and if you're back there then with the adjustable lower links it's not all that much more work. I'm still on the fence as to whether I would go for a QH: my bush hog isn't QH compatible- MAYBE if I got a welder and trusted my welding skills (which are basically none- I'd have to learn it all) I could rectify that; at this point the decrease in cussing is enough to place this all as being low priority.

How much use do you expect out of a backhoe? Reason I'm asking is that I pondered this long and hard for many years and could never justify getting one (would have been for the B7800). I have since ended up renting excavators, which are absolutely the right tool for the job. Over the course of several years I don't think I've shelled out half of what the cost of a backhoe would be: no worry as to where to "park" (set) a backhoe; no worries about repairs and maintenance; don't have to look to buy a different bucket (I can get different buckets when I rent). Yes, it's convenient to have you own piece of equipment; but, I often feel that people use that excuse to cover for their lack of planning (if you have a clear picture of what you need to do then map it out and rent the more effective tool and just get the job done!).