prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #11  
Hey Bob, where was that Kioti dealership you found that was beating Kubota deals by $4000? As you know, I shopped extensively and I bought my Kubota for less than a comparable equipped Kioti. Do you remember where that store was that you found?

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #12  
Dargo, you have me confused with someone else. Kioti has one store in the next county over from me. Both times I stopped there they didn't have any inventory. I did play with the Cub Cadet versions of the DK series a couple times and liked those machines, but they were no bargains, they were priced right in line with Kubota Grand L tractors, perhaps a bit lower but not much. The CK Kiotis are pretty nice, and lots of folks report good deals on those. Kubota has been very aggressively pricing lately, several people have reported they they've recently bought Kubota for less money than Kioti CK tractors. I got to play with some while on a business trip. However, given the size of tractors that the original poster is probably looking at, the larger DK class machines would probably be more suited to his needs. It seems to me that not only is pricing regional, when you buy seems to affect pricing. Recently New Holland has been probably the most expensive brand, but they have spec's that are among the highest in the industry so they can expect a premium price for that performance, but now NH is offering some incentives to get their prices in line. I know when I bought 2 years ago, New Holland was the low price brand.

You recently posted pictures of a Branson that filpped over on its side when it was hit by a mini-van and talked about a dealer in southern Indiana that sold Branson & Kioti when you were pricing a new DK65 and a large cabbed Branson, what did you find with the pricing? How were the parts and service departments? I remember you saying you liked the owner but if I recall you said you couldn't recommend the tractor. I know you are also pricing Deere and Kubota again for bigger units. What are your findings of all of it?

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #13  
I was in the same boat as you about 7 months ago. I compared Kubota, Jd, Kioti. I ended up with a Ck30hst for 15000.00. I'm very happy with my dealer and the tractor is amazing. Good luck in your search.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #14  
<font color="blue"> I'm just trying to get the best bang for the buck. </font>

That's something we all want! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You not only have to figure in the initial cost of the tractor, you also have to figure in the cost of implements, service, repair, etc....

Don't forget to figure in your time, too. That's valuable to lots of folks. For instance, are parts readily available? Does your dealer have a reputation for prompt service and fast turnaround? Will you be back up and running quickly or waiting for Mr. Pokey to repair the thing while he's off fishing? These kinds of things apply to all brands of tractors and dealers.

Then there is the question of tractors holding their re-sale value. It is not an issue for me, as I generally keep stuff until it can no longer be repaired, then keep it a little longer(I still have my Tonka Toys, for crying out loud). But for some folks, re-sale is very important. Are you going to get your money back out of it when it is time to sell and if so, how much?

The question, <font color="blue"> "Comparing tractors of the same caliber, which of the above companies would have the lowest price?"</font> is a tough one once you consider the total cost of ownership. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Do your research and don't jump into any purchases. Test drive the heck out of as many makes and models as you possibly can and good luck in your research. Please continue sharing your thought process with us as it helps everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #15  
Whatever you do... don't forget about Mahindra. I just got through going through a fairly extensive research of which tractor to purchase. I considered Kubota, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, Kioti, Farmtrac, and finally Mahindra. There was no doubt that when it was all said and done, none of the other makers could come close to the Mahindra in what I was getting for my money. That was comparing the 50-65HP machines. I did not research the lesser HP machines that much. The Mahindra's are one mean machine too.

Check out Mahindra's Website... I think you will be impressed.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #16  
Hi Geish!

Tracking down what tractor to buy is a challenging and fun process.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, figuring out what does what... You already made the statement that you would not try and cover your biggest possible jobs (liker pond building) but go for what you need most times…

I think it is important to get a handle on what you need in general terms. Would a 5’ cutter do the job, or do I need an 8 foot one...? Bigger isn’t always better, and costs can climb fast! But having some idea as to what can work can be a real plus..

Because, your next step is to find a good dealer. You want one that can listen to your needs and have some product choices to match your needs. No sense pounding a round peg in a square hole! If you found that a small tractor like a SubCut fits your needs, you probably will find large suburban Lawn and Garden Dealerships might be more helpful than rural Big Ag dealers.

My last tractor was an orphan, there were no dealers around that carried them, anymore. While I really liked it, I knew that I wanted to be able to get support on whatever I bought. So I really watched out for under capitalized dealers. You know - the ones that look like bait stores and recently added a tractor line. Or, something like that. It is no secret that under capitalization is by far the biggest reason for business failure. Even if there is another dealer that can service you tractor, it is always best to have a selling dealer to go back to. Don’t assume that a little ‘low overhead’ dealer is going to have better prices than a well established one with a complete staff and full inventories. Many times, just the opposite is true!

While there are lots of great machines, dealer quality can vary wildly. In my area, one might really shine, in yours, it could be just the opposite. If you find the right dealer and go in with some idea as to why you are there, you have a good chance of a good experience.

Some well meaning folks will tell you that if you get just what they got, you will be just as happy as they are! Well, that MIGHT be. But it is your hard earned money you are spending, unless they are writing the check, consider it just a friendly ‘I like mine..’ Do the research and get what’s right for YOU!!!

One VERY well meaning guy whose advice you really want is Muhammad, the "man behind the curtain' here at TBN. He wrote a book for folks just like you. It costs something, but worth every penny. If you get it, you won't be dissapointed!

If you go out and look at things, and drive them around, come back and post your findings… There is usually someone with a good idea as to what you are considering. But most of all, have fun!

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti
Thank you for all of ya'lls help. I'll definitely update what conclusions I come up with. I'll need some time test driving now. Time to actually go out in the field. There's a Kubota dealer 13 miles from the farm. I'll definitely give them a try. There's also a NH one not too far away, but I don't think they'll fit my price range considering what I've been hearing about their prices, but I might check them out too. The nearest Mahindra and Kioti dealers are about 30 and 37 miles respectively from the farm. I don't know if I want that.

Again, thank yall and you'll seeing a lot of this newbie on this site asking for lots of help, and also hoping to contribute when I have some more experience.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #18  
30-37 miles is not far for a dealer really. All of mine are at least that far and all of them pretty much deliver for free and at the most charge $100 for warranty pickup and delivery, if it's a running tractor that is. Most will pick up and deliver free if it's not running and has an engine problem... at least that's what most indicated to me. Just ask them when you vist the dealer.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
30-37 miles is not far for a dealer really. All of mine are at least that far and all of them pretty much deliver for free and at the most charge $100 for warranty pickup and delivery, if it's a running tractor that is. Most will pick up and deliver free if it's not running and has an engine problem... at least that's what most indicated to me. Just ask them when you vist the dealer. )</font>

My Kubota dealer is 5 miles away, my NH dealer is 8. Given the size tractor you are probably going to look at to mow your 40 acres, I would suggest you talk to dealers and see if any of them offer mobile repair or maintainence operations. My NH dealer picks up and delivers the tractor for free for anything during the warrenty period and he also delivers implements for free. My Kubota dealer did the same thing during the warrenty period for me. I've owned tractors for years and have only hauled 1 of them to the dealership for any work, and that was only because I had wanted to use the tractor for the weekend and I told him I'd drop it off Sunday night when he was closed. They returned it after doing warrenty work (fuel gauge got stuck) without charge.

I guess I look at it from the standpoint that my time is worth money, and I also consider the cost of towing. When I want oil & filters, I don't mind driving 5 to 8 miles on county roards, its only 10 to 15 mintues, to go see the dealer to pick those things up. He sees my face and knows I support him. I say HI to the sales guys, poke my head in the shop sometimes to say HI. They put me on the top of the list for service and treat me very well. When I want implements, the local dealers have beaten the pants off the "internet dealers" with their pricing. So I value going to the dealership, but I don't want to drive 45 minutes to get there and 45 to get back. Even longer if I would have to drive slow with a tractor bouncing around on a trailer.

I don't want to have to buy a bigger truck and a bigger trailer and end up spending money I had not planned on spending just so I could haul a tractor. This is all just another part of what MossRoad said about the total cost of ownership. But if I save $2000 on a tractor and have to buy a truck and trailer then I think I'd end up pretty deep in the hole. Now if you already have that equipment then you just have a time investment trying to winch the 5000# broken tractor up your trailer ramps and hauling it to the shop.

/ prices; Kubota, JD, Kioti #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't want to have to buy a bigger truck and a bigger trailer and end up spending money I had not planned on spending just so I could haul a tractor. )</font>

Bob,
How else can I justify to the General (my lovely wife) that I need a new truck? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif