Prime new fuel injector pump?

/ Prime new fuel injector pump? #41  
I finally got that bugger running!!

I know the feeling.

/ Prime new fuel injector pump? #42  
I got the tractor running, put the box blade on it and FINALLY got to move some rocks that were dumped onto my driveway 6 weeks ago. Oh... and did I tell you that it's been raining?

I'm soaking wet....covered in oil...covered in diesel...and covered in grease and ya know what? I don't care!!!

I finally got that bugger running!!

As Red Green says, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Congrats on beating it. I know exactly how you feel.

/ Prime new fuel injector pump?
If it was me I would remove the oil pan and take a good look to see where they came from. It could prevent a lot of greif later on.
Bill

The only kind of grief I'd like to have with this tractor is seeing it parted out and a new(er) replacement in its place! Perhaps missing and loose bolts can help me achieve this sneaky goal? :rolleyes:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Ohhhhhhh, and imagine the joy my wife feels when she sees me as both (even if I DO smell like diesel)

:D

/ Prime new fuel injector pump? #45  
Good imagination? (Couldn't resist! :p)

I then realize that two of the three 1/2" bolts... are not "pins" but rather, the've been in the front of that gearbox for a LONGGGGGGGGGG time and have been worn down through a tumbling motion. They are actually bolts that have had the threads virtually sanded off.

I thought I'd post of picture of these bolts for kicks & grins.

Still don't know where they go. Not my tractor so I'm not too worried about them. Seems clear that two of them have been floating around for a LONG time.

Also...they were found in the housing for the gear which drives the injection pump. If they fell out from deeper DOWN in the engine , then they had to ride around a bit... I would have expected them to fall to the oil pan.

oh well...

Attachments

• tbnBolts.JPG
    tbnBolts.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 123
   / Prime new fuel injector pump? #47  
Giggle giggle - Hey Larry! I dropped some extra bolts into this tractor -- giggle! I bet the owner goes nuts trying to find out what is rattling.

jb

/ Prime new fuel injector pump? #48  
Hey richard the three bolts you found look suspiciously like the three bolts that are used to hold the gear on the front of the pump if you have got a changeover pump it is possible that the bolt size could have been changed or that the shaft is out of a different engine with smaller/larger retaining bolts i would be checking but there should be something other than a drive pin holding the gear to the pump good to see you got it running though:D

Hey richard the three bolts you found look suspiciously like the three bolts that are used to hold the gear on the front of the pump if you have got a changeover pump it is possible that the bolt size could have been changed or that the shaft is out of a different engine with smaller/larger retaining bolts i would be checking but there should be something other than a drive pin holding the gear to the pump good to see you got it running though:D

I don't know what a changeover pump is however...

The front of the pump itself AND the drive gear DO have holes. Interestingly though, they are not threaded and these do not fit into/through them.

That was the first thing I thought.

Also, what I find interesting and still curious...

How to descibe this...

The drive gear that is attached to the injection pump, is a gear that is say, six inches in diamater. It is a direct drive to another gear that (I didn't look too close) is maybe part of the front of the crankshaft and by going from the larger gear to the smaller gear, it's kept in synch with the valve train.

Now... what I found interesting is... there was NO visible means of this gear being bolted anywhere at all. Essentially, a floating gear who's only two contact points that I could tell, were the actual gear driving it and the nose of the pump

Actually, as I say that...I will have to add...the gear IS in there pretty snugly as is... I actually gave it a small wiggle to see if it would come out and I was unable to pull it forward.

I did expect the gear to bolt to the pump. Unless it uses a nut/bolt then all I can say is, it doesn't.

Ran tractor again yesterday to mow a path in a field....ran fine.

I'll tell the owner (wifes cousin) about the bolts and let HIM worry about what to do :D I've already done my part by getting it running