Princess Auto 60" box blade

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade
tcartwri said:
They're the same company?.. really?

I thought Princess originated in Winnipeg.

I meant HF equivalent; not exactly the same company as PA

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #13  
My advice is to get the heaviest BB you can.

I have a Woods and its too light to dig even with the scarifiers. Im going to add a few hundred pounds to it i think.

Also try and find one with a curved cutting edge. It will help it dig. Im going to add a section of grader cutting edge to mine whenever i find some.

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #14  
My advice is to get the heaviest BB you can.

I have a Woods and its too light to dig even with the scarifiers. Im going to add a few hundred pounds to it i think.

Also try and find one with a curved cutting edge. It will help it dig. Im going to add a section of grader cutting edge to mine whenever i find some.

Just a guess but I would think you need about 100 to 150 lbs per scarifier point to dig well. Having a hydraulic top link to angle the teeth helps alot too. I would have thought that a Woods boxblade has curved cutting edges, my Frontier made by Woods Gannon does. Just bought new grader blade this month for my L&G landplane build, runs about $25/ft. for 6" reversible 5/8" thick with curved surface.

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #15  
Just looking at the link posted, that box blade looks far weaker than the United BB my Dad has (and I borrow). There is allot more material in the 3PT hitch area on the United.

I think the reason that the US made stuff is not easily reutrnable if you break it is because it is built well enough that if you break it, you were probably misusing it. With the China stuff, they aren't surprised if a few unit get broken and take that into account.

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #16  
I bought a number of things from PA for my 3ph and all have failed. I didn't try the BB but I won't buy any serious implements from them again.

I agree with the suggestions to buy North American if you can.

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade
jenkinsph said:
Just a guess but I would think you need about 100 to 150 lbs per scarifier point to dig well. Having a hydraulic top link to angle the teeth helps alot too. I would have thought that a Woods boxblade has curved cutting edges, my Frontier made by Woods Gannon does. Just bought new grader blade this month for my L&G landplane build, runs about $25/ft. for 6" reversible 5/8" thick with curved surface.

Thanks for the advice! At 462lbs where does this one sit weight wise For a 60" blade?

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #18  
Steve, mine is a pretty light blade made for a BX. Its a BSE4 "Heritage by Woods". It's 48" weighs only 309lbs. (6.4 lbs /in) It lacks a true curved cutting edge on either side (forward or rear facing). Every season the DOT replaces their cutting edges on their equipment and these cutoffs end up as scrap. So if i time it right i should be able to get one for cheap at the junk yard.

My BB is too light to really penetrate and it has a tendency to skip across a hard surface with either the scarifiers or just the cutting edge. I'm going to have to improve it this year because it just doesnt work as good as Id like.

/ Princess Auto 60" box blade #19  
Well I decided to try out the P. Auto box blade. It came crated in a steel frame which was attached to a wooden pallet. Got it home and used the loader to lift it off the trailer. Bolted the three point harness together and tried to couple up to my 3pt. quick hitch. The first thing that I noticed was the top link spacer/spreader wasn't wide enough to allow my top hook to enter between the side bars.:confused: Problem was easily solved by cutting off a piece of pipe, 2" long and inserting between the upright bars. Now hooking up is a breeze! :D I have never seen a box blade in person, so I really can't make a comparison. I can say that it seems well build compared to other implements I own. The scarifier shanks are 2.5 x 3/4" with replaceable tips The square tube they sit in is 4 x 4 x 5/16". The ends of the box are 1/4" plate and the back is 3/16". The hitch bars are 3 x 1/2" and the cutting edges are 6" reversible. It came with a one year money back guarantee from Princess Auto, so if it turns out to be crap, I get my money back! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSC04274.jpg
    DSC04274.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC04275.jpg
    DSC04275.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 449
   / Princess Auto 60" box blade #20  
It is one advantage of buying "Chinese junk"

Princess will take ANYTHING back no matter how long or hard you have used it!

Only wish North American products backed up their "superior" products with similar warranties

Often you Take your new implement home and if it does happen to break you call the store or manufacturer and they tell you your SOL

Nice!

Agreed! Have bought tons from them.

But an excellent dealer will tske care of you.