princess auto tools that dont suck

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #11  
I will sometimes buy a Powerfist portable power tool knowing that it won't last. A recent example - I had to scabble down a concrete threshold at a doorway. Rather than ruin a good grinder I bought a Powerfist grinder. I think it was $30. It finished the job (just) and now owes me nothing.

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #12  
I once tried a cordless drill from PA - and could not get it back to the store fast enough :laughing::laughing:. BUT; I have a Powerfist half inch impact tool that won't quit. Recently it seemed to be losing power and it was making a strange whistling sound in reverse - with all the other noises in the shop, my old ears were not picking up on the air leaks. It turned out that an odd looking little bolt I had seen lying on the bench belonged on the back end cap and the rest were loose. I put it back in, tightened the rest, and WOW!:thumbsup::thumbsup: It's working like new again:D:cool:

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #13  
I've got tons of stuff from there that has done me well. I find their 'almost rubber' air hose really good. Don't know what it is called but it starts with a K I think. It feels like rubber to me but it is some blend. It does not seem to kink and holds up well in the cold.

Automatic, wall mounted hose reel. Love it. Came with a rubber hose actually. Rubber hose didn't last more than 2 years but the reel is great.

I have a 1/2" air powered impact wrench from them. One of the better ones they had that came on sale. Made in Taiwan. When I buy power tools from them I try to find the ones made in Taiwan rather than China.

Impact wrench socket set. Very nice.

Bought a set of the large wrenches 1 1/8" and up. They have been great! They are no comparison to large wrenches from Crappy Tire - the Chrome Vanadium steel stuff but for the number of times I use them a year, they were perfect - for 55 dollars for the set.

Misc other air tools - guage and filler etc. Name brand air couplers. Can't complain.

Fill-Rite hand pump for the diesel tank and filters. Good stuff.

Auto darkening welding helmet. Welding gloves - very good.

Power Fist small band saw. Pretty crappy but it does cut steel when it works and when it does cut it cuts well. Breaks a lot of blades though.

I tend to stick to the name brand stuff they carry. I buy Power Fist from time to time when an alternative does not exist.

Last edited:
   / princess auto tools that dont suck #14  
I've had pretty good luck with their products. LED perimeter trailer lights, auto darkening welding helmet, LE mig wire when on sale, drill press vice, various hydraulic and pneumatic adapters. Nearerst is 100 kms from me so I don't get there that often.

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #15  
I've been pretty happy with Princess Auto stuff over the years. Some stuff has been junk, but most of it has worked out quite well for me. Sockets, hand tools, air tools, grinding wheels, welding supplies, trailer parts, etc. Lately I've been finding their prices aren't as good as they once were, especially items that aren't on sale. However, I always enjoy wandering up and down the aisles and looking at all the wonderful things.

Crappy tire, on the other hand, has p'd me off one time too many, and I never go there unless I absolutely have to.

PS- Hello to the NS folks in this thread!

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #16  
Princess Auto? Now there is a name I wouldn't have thought would fly for an auto parts store. Maybe abar, but not an auto parts store.

MoKelly

/ princess auto tools that dont suck
one thing I got there that I love is the old giant screw driver. A few years ago they were $6 and about 24" long, now they are $14, and 18" long. Not that a good a buy anymore, but I use mine alot as a crowbar.

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #18  
Anything they make in house is good

Hydraulic cylinders. Compressors.

Their powerfist sockets arent that bad. Not a fan of their box end or adjustable wrenches

Their ratchet straps are mostly canadian (erickson). Theyre good.

Milton stuff is good.

Channelock stuff is good.

Rubber bungies are canadian (snappy hookers) and are good.

Theyre not a bad source for nuts/bolts either

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #19  
Princess Auto? Now there is a name I wouldn't have thought would fly for an auto parts store. Maybe abar, but not an auto parts store.

MoKelly

I would not want to claim it as "gospel" but it may have something to do with the location of the first store so many moons ago. If that's the case then it could have been on Princess Street in Winnipeg but that's just a long shot guess on my part.:laughing:

/ princess auto tools that dont suck #20  

I do believe they are so named because their first store was on Princess Street in Winnipeg. Funnily enough, they don't really sell many auto parts.