Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #11  
Hard as it may be, I would try to be patient and let the dealer get things fixed. I would *nicely* remind him of the issues and your lack of free time, and see what you can get out of it (e.g. maybe future free rental of a tiller or something like that).

I am new to this tractor business but I am getting the impression that many pieces of equipment don't have the quality control they should, and some dealers may be sloppy. I'm still waiting for a dealer (not the one I bought my tractor from, though they did try hard to sell me a Kubota instead) to fix or replace a Landpride implement where a 3/4" thick steel plate bent from normal use. Same dealer also delivered me only 1/2 of my chain harrow and took 4 weeks to get me the other half. My JD 5105 had one very minor issue (loose shift knob) and there were somewhat bigger issues on two implements I bought with it, but the dealer picked up all three, fixed everything right, and had them back to me in about a week. It was frustrating to wait a week, but it got fixed and now it works fine.

I will also say that having those issues fixed promptly and without a hassle validated my decision to buy from a nearby dealer who seemed to provide good service. Had I bought hundreds of miles away to save a few bucks, I'm sure I would be less happy with the results.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but so far the only trouble-free purchase I've made was the "Farm Force" disc harrow I bought at TSC. Who would have thought...

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor
Here's an update:

I've heard from John Deere coporate and their take was "not our problem." They stated they have an independent dealer network that you have to work through. Well, didn't you, JD, make the tractor??? Don't you stand behind your work? How is this not your problem? Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed in JD's response.

Meanwhile, dealer has delivered a new 3320 non-cab tractor for my use in the interim, which I do appreciate. However, it's been over 2 weeks since I reported the problem and it's still not resolved.

I thought that perhaps I was being unrealistic in my request for a replacement and some people here have hinted at that, but the longer this goes on, the less I think so. I bought a new tractor and expect it to function as a new tractor for more than a week. Even if the problem is fixed, where is the compensation for the stress and inconvenience of dealing with this issue? What happens to your confidence or piece of mind with this piece of equipment?

I think it's ridiculous that we've all been conditioned to accept less than what is right simply because it has become customary. I have had a number of major purchases in the past couple years and have only had 1 that I was completely satisfied with. It seems that each issue I had was always someone elses problem.

This is me.
This is me on my soapbox.
Getting off my soapbox now:rolleyes:

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #13  
pebald1 said:
Meanwhile, dealer has delivered a new 3320 non-cab tractor for my use in the interim, which I do appreciate. However, it's been over 2 weeks since I reported the problem and it's still not resolved.

I thought that perhaps I was being unrealistic in my request for a replacement and some people here have hinted at that, but the longer this goes on, the less I think so. I bought a new tractor and expect it to function as a new tractor for more than a week. Even if the problem is fixed, where is the compensation for the stress and inconvenience of dealing with this issue? What happens to your confidence or piece of mind with this piece of equipment?

I think it's ridiculous that we've all been conditioned to accept less than what is right simply because it has become customary. I have had a number of major purchases in the past couple years and have only had 1 that I was completely satisfied with. It seems that each issue I had was always someone elses problem.

This is me.
This is me on my soapbox.
Getting off my soapbox now:rolleyes:

Actually I'm pretty impressed that the dealer dropped off a new ROPS 3320 for you to use while your cab 3320 is being fixed. That sounds really good to me. I don't think you would find many dealers or brands providing that service, especially (but not only) to a non-commercial user. Keep in mind that while this is a pain for you, it is much different from a commercial farmer losing an entire season, the year's income and maybe his farm if his equipment fails. Probably why commercial farmers all keep lots of running tractors around.

On the quality, stress, convenience issues - I feel your pain. I also think that manufacturers of all sorts of stuff need to do better QC. I have bought three new cars in the last 7 years, two of which have had serious mechanical problems within their first year and each spent cumulatively weeks in the shop over many visits. One of those two was a Honda, which I had picked for its quality reputation! And because of Michigan's extremely weak lemon law, I had no recourse. On the plus side, the more recent of these was from a great selling dealer that has taken good care of me when it's in - giving me rental cars on their dime, even though they aren't required to. For me, the dealer has made a big difference.

At the same time, I think we have become too accustomed to a "throwaway" mentality that if something has an issue, junk it and replace it. A good tractor (like a 3320) will last several decades of use with little change in its performance. While it's a pain now, in the long view it would be silly for the manufacturer to replace it when it should be easily fixable for much less $$. Then they just take a big hit on reselling something used with 5 hours and giving you a new tractor that may have its own issues. My view would change if you had had a dozen problems instead of three or so. But with the loaner of an identical capability tractor, you can get all your work done just the same as if no problems, albeit without that really nice to have cab.

My two cents - while I would probably be equally mad in your position, I think your best bet is just being patient as you'll probably have a perfectly working tractor in a couple weeks or less, and have no problems from then on.

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #14  
Coolhl7,

Thanks for asking about the JD break-in recommendations, I don't see any in the manual & just assumed I was abusing the machine by running it at max to blow snow. This is my first diesel & I guess that with the lower rpms that the old gas engine break-in rules don't apply. Maybe I did the right thing for once.

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #15  
Actually, them having the tractor for an extended period now may be a good thing. Maybe they will actually FIX the problem. Although, I would think that if they had to remove the cab they would have tried to get it right the first time. I hope you don't have a defect in manufacture. I haven't had a similar problem with any tractor. But I have a car that had an engine/tranny seal problem that first surfaced soon after I got it home from the showroom.. and it's had four seals since.. In fact.. right now it's leaking again. Now, I'd say in my case.. there's something seriously wrong that they just can't fix and keep patching.. well, kept patching as long as it was in warranty. Now it's MY problem.

I too am impressed you got a loaner to work with. You won't find many dealers willing to do that unless you're a big money customer that spends hundreds of thousands over a few years.

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #16  
Heres my take on this situation, for what its worth. You seem to be patient with all this bad tractor luck, give the dealer a deadline to make thing right. If you are still getting the run around, a letter from an attorney always gets peoples undivided attention. The letter will run around $100. the results will be worth 5 times that!

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #17  
lawn_king said:
Heres my take on this situation, for what its worth. You seem to be patient with all this bad tractor luck, give the dealer a deadline to make thing right. If you are still getting the run around, a letter from an attorney always gets peoples undivided attention. The letter will run around $100. the results will be worth 5 times that!
Word.

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #18  
pebald1 said:
What happens to your confidence or piece of mind with this piece of equipment?

After the problem is fixed, and a couple years go past you will not even think about the problems you had to start with. Not all tractors are created equal and it might take a few times until the dealer finds what is actually making this thing leak. It could be an burr they did not notice or a defect in the metal that they wouldn't find until it kept acting up. I wish you well with your problem but be patient and keep in contact with your dealer but don't expect a new tractor unless this goes on for a long time.

/ Problems with my new JD 3320 tractor #19  
Sorry to hear of your problems with the new tractor. Just remember, though, that even if it says JD on the stickers, it was still more than likely made overseas somewhere. BTW, welcome to TBN. Where are you located? Might fill out your profile so we know what area of country we're dealing with.