Problems with the 5145

/ Problems with the 5145 #11  
Brought mine into the dealer and fixed the leak. Pinched O-ring. The latest thing was the PTO safety switch sheared itself from the two mounting bolts while I was thrashing through some ungodly big muscadine vines and scrub. Patched it up and in the same day lost my fuel cap! one of those vines must've slapped that fuel cap and launched it. I installed a new one and used 1/8" braided cable as a tag line instead of the stock plastic retainer. DMack, did you install the grapple kit yourself? Thats next on thew list

Negative... I had my dealer do the W.R. Long kit before I picked my tractor up. I ordered it directly from Long, and had them install it, so it is covered under warranty.

/ Problems with the 5145
Brought mine into the dealer and fixed the leak. Pinched O-ring. The latest thing was the PTO safety switch sheared itself from the two mounting bolts while I was thrashing through some ungodly big muscadine vines and scrub. Patched it up and in the same day lost my fuel cap! one of those vines must've slapped that fuel cap and launched it. I installed a new one and used 1/8" braided cable as a tag line instead of the stock plastic retainer. DMack, did you install the grapple kit yourself? Thats next on thew list
can you post a photo of the fuel cap tag line, had a similar issue where the black top of the cap came off and broke the plastic retaining strap. I searched thru the brush and found the top of my cap and it went back on like new but that retaining strap is a constant issue.

/ Problems with the 5145
Negative... I had my dealer do the W.R. Long kit before I picked my tractor up. I ordered it directly from Long, and had them install it, so it is covered under warranty.
dealer only covered my WR long valve for 1 year.

/ Problems with the 5145 #14  
can you post a photo of the fuel cap tag line, had a similar issue where the black top of the cap came off and broke the plastic retaining strap. I searched thru the brush and found the top of my cap and it went back on like new but that retaining strap is a constant issue.
Sure can. I'll grab some pictures after work and post them. I agree the strap is flimsy and the way it hangs off the side makes it easy to snag on anything. The way I've done the wire is where I can actually spin it so it rests flat against the tank.

/ Problems with the 5145
Sure can. I'll grab some pictures after work and post them. I agree the strap is flimsy and the way it hangs off the side makes it easy to snag on anything. The way I've done the wire is where I can actually spin it so it rests flat against the tank.
be interesting to see as i'm currently going free willy with my cap. after chasing my cap under the tractor a few times i have decided that free range is not the proper state for a fuel cap.

/ Problems with the 5145 #16  
be interesting to see as i'm currently going free willy with my cap. after chasing my cap under the tractor a few times i have decided that free range is not the proper state for a fuel cap.
IMG_6136.jpeg
IMG_6138.jpeg

/ Problems with the 5145 #17  
So far, 30+ hours on my 5155, and I have had zero issues with it. I did have a small leak on one of the hydraulic lines on the FEL, but a quick tighten solved that. I was not watching what I was doing, moving logs in a tight space, and hit a taller stump with my stairs on the left side of my tractor, they got all bent up, but that was the only damage. They still work, but I will replace them soon. I added a canopy to mine, and I added ballast to the rear tires and front tires. I also added the W.R. Long third function kit, and it works like a charm. I use my Mahindra grapple more than anything. I will add a hydraulic top link very soon.

This tractor is a BEAST!!!! View attachment 849663
What brand of canopy do you have? All the ones I’ve looked at sit on top of the rops and I don’t have enough clearance on my barn doors for them. Looks like your setup would work.

/ Problems with the 5145 #18  
So far, 30+ hours on my 5155, and I have had zero issues with it. I did have a small leak on one of the hydraulic lines on the FEL, but a quick tighten solved that. I was not watching what I was doing, moving logs in a tight space, and hit a taller stump with my stairs on the left side of my tractor, they got all bent up, but that was the only damage. They still work, but I will replace them soon. I added a canopy to mine, and I added ballast to the rear tires and front tires. I also added the W.R. Long third function kit, and it works like a charm. I use my Mahindra grapple more than anything. I will add a hydraulic top link very soon.

This tractor is a BEAST!!!! View attachment 849663
Darth_DMack,
I'm playing catch up here since shifting my focus from the MF2860E to the Mahindra 5155. Not coming across spec info re: lift capacities for 24" forward of the pivot pins at the FEL or 20" rearward of the 3-point lift arms. I'm handling heavy (up to 2500 lbs) Doug Fir logs front and back (skidding and lifting onto the sawmill bunks). My Massey 175 bit the dust last year and is in need of a rebuild so I need something to fill in with - but maybe the 5155 would fall short. Would move up but my budget won't budge.

If it will fill the bill a 3rd function would be needed for the grapple. There is a knock out on the backside of the joystick knob, which the dealer tells me is for a one-button Mahindra-manufactured kit (not a W.R. Long kit). With one button you don't get simultaneous dual operation (close/open - tilt), which I can live with as I don't work that fast anyway.

Also, the Mahindra specs don't tell me the weight of the loader. I'm guessing it's around 1400-1500 lbs. - do you know?

I agree with another post about the fuel filter location - looks like the engineers fell down on the job with that one. Since I'm navigating through gnarly under brush at times it seems to me that is an accident waiting to happen.

Since rear wheel spacers are out of the question and you can't reverse the rims, how do you find the stability (side-to-side sway under weight and on side slopes? I will be adding Rimguard to the rears.

Any major issues since your last post?

I'll be keeping my eye out for a hydraulic leak at the FEL and snagging the steps.

/ Problems with the 5145
Darth_DMack,
I'm playing catch up here since shifting my focus from the MF2860E to the Mahindra 5155. Not coming across spec info re: lift capacities for 24" forward of the pivot pins at the FEL or 20" rearward of the 3-point lift arms. I'm handling heavy (up to 2500 lbs) Doug Fir logs front and back (skidding and lifting onto the sawmill bunks). My Massey 175 bit the dust last year and is in need of a rebuild so I need something to fill in with - but maybe the 5155 would fall short. Would move up but my budget won't budge.

If it will fill the bill a 3rd function would be needed for the grapple. There is a knock out on the backside of the joystick knob, which the dealer tells me is for a one-button Mahindra-manufactured kit (not a W.R. Long kit). With one button you don't get simultaneous dual operation (close/open - tilt), which I can live with as I don't work that fast anyway.

Also, the Mahindra specs don't tell me the weight of the loader. I'm guessing it's around 1400-1500 lbs. - do you know?

I agree with another post about the fuel filter location - looks like the engineers fell down on the job with that one. Since I'm navigating through gnarly under brush at times it seems to me that is an accident waiting to happen.

Since rear wheel spacers are out of the question and you can't reverse the rims, how do you find the stability (side-to-side sway under weight and on side slopes? I will be adding Rimguard to the rears.

I'll be keeping my eye out for a hydraulic leak at the FEL and snagging the steps.
the wheels are reversible, the FEL is rated for 3100 at the pins to full height and about 5400 breakout so it will be between those at mid lift, so you should be fine as long as you are not lifting to 10'.

the factory joystick is prewired for a diverter but the W.R. long kit includes a new joystick handle.

/ Problems with the 5145 #20  
Darth_DMack,

Loader weight is listed at 1300 lbs.