Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #101  
   / Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #102  
Well.........this happened, so I am in "recovery mode":
Bulldog%20Flip%20091.jpg

The injury you have is called an acromial-coracoid separation most likely a grade or class 3 separation. Most often happens when someone falls head first and strikes the round of the shoulder first. The knob looking thing on the x-ray is called the coracoid process and its distance to the outer 1/3rd of the collar bone (clavicle) is usually about 1 inch. The tip of the collar bone is attached to the acromial process by a thickened capsule but the main suspension ligament is a heavy band which you tore. Without treatment, your arm then sags down and your collar bone sticks up and out. I can't see any rib fractures on your xray. Go to Google with the diagnosis I gave you and there will be an excellent rundown on the injury with good drawings etc and discussions as to the treatments.

Boy, you never know who is spying on your personal life...I have been thinking about a root cellar so I got hooked into your thread. I an certainly going for a horizontal one, no ladder climbing for me...too old ,78.

Hope everything is going well and you have a speedy recovery. Don't push it, let the ligaments heal and harden before you get macho...

docrocky

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert
Doc, spot on...except mine was a grad 4 out of 5 with 5 being the worst. Turns out, the Dr that did an elective surgery on my left elbow last year invented a device to repair this exact injury and I feel very fortunate to have such an expert work on me. Here is a video of Dr Paul Brady's procedure...pretty fascinating stuff:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCxaxAievDA&list=TLANPxXYUoDSs

And here is my shoulder now...you can see the Dogbone washers that hold the surgical rope:
Bulldog%20Flip%20025.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and the rib fractures are the lower three and one of them has the cartilage popped off....in the "right" position I get a "clunkclunk" every time I breath. Ribs are much better now, it's just the next 3-4 months of babying this shoulder that is killing me....could have been much worse though!

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #105  
Good Morning Rick,
Get well soon !

'morning...thanks!

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #107  
I'm with slicing it in half length-wise for two arches and build knee walls. You nearly double your floor storage cube-age that way, as well as preserving more walkway room. Even setting it on end "requires" you to put in a footing to put it on, otherwise it will settle into the soil it's resting on. It know it's more work and more expense, but doing it on the cheap at first means you spend decades grumbling about it afterwards.

It's already in the ground vertically resting on about a foot of 57 rock. Under that rock is extremely hard packed slate...almost concrete...it's not going anywhere. I agree, splitting it would have made for a bigger cellar, but the thing is huge as-is with minimum work. Concrete roof is also poured & I just need to finish the stairwell before backfilling over the whole thing. Then I am building a cedar log garden shed/solar panel structure over the entrance. Plans are for a 3KW battery system before the end of the year. This will run the well pump, 2 freezers, a fridge, the wood furnace blower and some lights completely off grid.

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #109  
Rick,
Please post a link here when you get the 3kw battery system thread up.
Take care.

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #110  
Rick,
Please post a link here when you get the 3kw battery system thread up.
Take care.