Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #111  
I It know it's more work and more expense, but doing it on the cheap at first means you spend decades grumbling about it afterwards.

Dr_Zinj,
You need to read the other threads, Rick (MotorSeven), has started here. I don't think anything he does is "cheap".
hugs, Brandi

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert
This is by far the longest i have taken to get a project done. Progress the last few days....finished raising the entryway and the stair case. Added a LED solar light inside. Pt down roofing foundation (tar) first, then Black Jack(tar w/fiber) over the wood, then back-filled.
root%20cellar%20final%20022.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20021.jpg

All covered up:
root%20cellar%20final%20023.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20025.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20024.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20026.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20027.jpg

Got sidetracked by mama's brand new porcelain cast iron claw foot tub. Here it is in the "paint shop" getting changed from white to sage green:

root%20cellar%20final%20020.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20019.jpg

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #115  
Awesome! Are you planning on installing a couple of handholds towards the bottom of the wood entry and perhaps a narrow shelf to unload one hand of jars on your way down?

What's your plan for the lid? It would be cool if you could find (or make) a fiberglass cover and use hydraulic struts to aid in lifting!! :)

Dep, for now, I am gluing a left over 2" high density foam panel to a piece of scrap tin. This winter, I hope to build a round cedar log shed over the root cellar which will double as Les's potting/garden shed. Inside I think I can build an insulated lid that is counter-weighted, & when rotated open reveals the first few steps to get down inside.....and yes a grab rail all the way down on one side for sure.

Here is the lid with weight on the panel as the glue sets:
root%20cellar%20final%20029.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new:

root%20cellar%20final%20002.jpg

root%20cellar%20final%20001.jpg

Of course none of the bronze fittings would work on the new tub....had to buy all new stuff....grrrrr

Porcelain on the antique tub was in rough shape, only one small chip, but it looked to have been etched off by years of scrubbing....any dirt would just grind right in and was impossible to clean. It is a prefect candidate for a interior re-finish. The new tub at 6' long will fit us tall folk a lot better. You would not believe the difference in weight between the 5.5 and the 6'....WOW!

/ Project Root Cellar ......out of a 8' tall x 14' metal culvert #118  
Rick,
Are those stacked-flat 2x4s making the entry walls? Glad to see you getting back in the "saddle".
hugs, Brandi