Projected Pipeline

/ Projected Pipeline #71  
I looked them up also as to the energy requirements. They use the natural gas that is in the pipe line, so the electrical out side use is rather small and not dependent on existing electrical drops.... So you can't just look for local substations as if the line will run close to those. The line doesn't have to, as it is self powered.

/ Projected Pipeline #72  
I looked them up also as to the energy requirements. They use the natural gas that is in the pipe line, so the electrical out side use is rather small and not dependent on existing electrical drops.... So you can't just look for local substations as if the line will run close to those. The line doesn't have to, as it is self powered.
Thats an interesting bit of information. I was making my statement based on a natural gas compressor station I work next to which has it's own substation so I assumed it used large amounts of electricity. Another source for me are the techs that service our medium voltage VFDs, I've asked them in the past what was the most common use for their drives and the response always seems to be pipeline compressors. Which I found puzzling with all the energy in the pipe available, why use electric power? I had decided that the electric drives controlled the flow in the pipe much better than a combustion powered system would, the techs didn't know why either. Sorry to ramble.
Do you have any information or links you can post as I am interested in how that works? Thanks.

/ Projected Pipeline #73  
Rest and relaxation. That's it. The selling comment is simply due to the fact that nobody gets out alive and all property is eventually sold. My kids may appreciate me putting some effort into protecting my legacy. Walking away sounds easy. Have you shopped for property in southeast Texas lately? This is a nice property. If I knew what would happen with the pipeline, the decision would be simple. I just don't know and that's uncomfortable. Nothing more to the story.

Think you're looking at this the wrong way when you state "protecting my legacy".

If you have a crap load of money and you want to keep your name with something for your family through out decades, perhaps a century or so, look to buy something else per the information you've given so far.

Last edited:
   / Projected Pipeline #74  
I would absolutely back out. How much will it cost you?

/ Projected Pipeline #75  
Thats an interesting bit of information. I was making my statement based on a natural gas compressor station I work next to which has it's own substation so I assumed it used large amounts of electricity. Another source for me are the techs that service our medium voltage VFDs, I've asked them in the past what was the most common use for their drives and the response always seems to be pipeline compressors. Which I found puzzling with all the energy in the pipe available, why use electric power? I had decided that the electric drives controlled the flow in the pipe much better than a combustion powered system would, the techs didn't know why either. Sorry to ramble.
Do you have any information or links you can post as I am interested in how that works? Thanks.
From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_station said:
There are three commonly used types of engines that drive the compressors and are known as "prime movers":
Turbine / Centrifugal Compressor
This type of compression unit uses a natural gas-fired turbine to turn a centrifugal compressor. The centrifugal compressor is similar to a large fan inside a case, which pumps the gas as the fan turns. A small portion of natural gas from the pipeline is burned to power the turbine.
Electric Motor/Centrifugal Compressor
In this type of compressor unit, the centrifugal compressor is driven by a high voltage electric motor. An electrified compressor may still require an air permit, as regulations vary by state an applicability analysis should be conducted whenever a compressor station will be constructed. However, a highly reliable source of electric power must be available and near the station.
Reciprocating Engine/Reciprocating Compressor
These large piston engines resemble automobile engines, only much larger. Commonly known as "recips," these engines are fueled by natural gas from the pipeline. Reciprocating pistons, located in cylinder cases on the side of the unit, compress the natural gas. The compressor pistons and the power pistons are connected to a common crankshaft. The advantage of reciprocating compressors is that the volume of gas pushed through the pipeline can be adjusted incrementally to meet small changes in customer demand.

Aaron Z

/ Projected Pipeline #76  
NO, that would be theft, and Unconstitutional. a pipeline company don't have the right to steal, or even use your property unless an easment was given for it by the owner!.. even a government agency cannot steal property without just compensation, and it has to be for public use.. the constitution says so..

WRONG again,eminent domain..

/ Projected Pipeline #77  
Seems like the OP is just interested in a compressor station not ending up on his property.
The local municipality probably has the detail of the project filed with them and would probably let you look at it if you find the right person.
That should resolve your question.

/ Projected Pipeline #78  
I think you'd be buying yourself a lot of headaches. I have a close friend with just such an "opportunity". That has turned into an never-ending nightmare. Constant interruptions, inspection crews showing up at all hours, area maintenance at untimely occurrences, sometimes very noisy crews, restrictive land use, and all to add to the diminished value of the land.

The pain of knowing that "your land" is no longer "your land", but effectively owned by a pipeline company, will linger long after the joy of getting a little money has diminished. I suggest you find another land opportunity.

/ Projected Pipeline #79  
WRONG again,eminent domain..

My understanding is that for an interstate pipeline they can take the ROW on your property via eminent domain once they get their permit from FERC. The compensation under eminent domain is determined by a federal judge - whether that compensation is "just" or not is another story.

You are much better off negotiating with the pipeline company, preferably using an experienced lawyer, before they can use eminent domain. If you are a big enough PITA, they may just choose your neighbor's property! :laughing:

For intrastate pipelines, state laws, regulatory bodies and courts control the process.

I may be going through all of this next year for the pipeline mentioned by the OP. :shocked:

/ Projected Pipeline #80  
This where the "proposed" Compressor Stations are to be located. News