Propane Direct Vent question

/ Propane Direct Vent question #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
My wife and are drawing up plans for the next home which will be one story as we get closer to 60.

My question is how far can the direct vent pipe run horizontally to outdoors? How far from doors or windows? I've installed 3 stoves against an outside wall but never in the middle of the room.

The flush to wall gas stove would be roughly 12' from the outside wall and I'd rather not put up a chimney as the HE whole house basement propane heater will be direct vent as well.

Thanks

/ Propane Direct Vent question #3  
My wife and are drawing up plans for the next home which will be one story as we get closer to 60.

My question is how far can the direct vent pipe run horizontally to outdoors? How far from doors or windows? I've installed 3 stoves against an outside wall but never in the middle of the room.

The flush to wall gas stove would be roughly 12' from the outside wall and I'd rather not put up a chimney as the HE whole house basement propane heater will be direct vent as well.

Thanks

Each unit has specific specs. Code doesn’t provide a set amount with so many variables. As stated, power vent, vent size etc all plays a roll.

Find the appliances you want and read the installation manual.

/ Propane Direct Vent question #5  

Thanks

We just put in a direct vent propane gas fireplace in our cabin. It was a Regency, and had it PROFESSIONALLY installed. The flue / vent was quite pricey as it was a two part, stainless steel design. As said above, check the specs on what you buy. It sounds as if you plan on running this through an attic type space? That could be done with a roof vent, instead of a side wall.

/ Propane Direct Vent question #6  
agree with others....the unit you will install will have very specific instructions on how far it can run horizontally.....how many turns it can have.....how far from openings.......most installation manuals are online now so you don't have to wait to buy just search what you think you want........Jack

/ Propane Direct Vent question #7  
agree with others....the unit you will install will have very specific instructions on how far it can run horizontally.....how many turns it can have.....how far from openings.......most installation manuals are online now so you don't have to wait to buy just search what you think you want........Jack

What he said. We built in 2010 and run propane for the boiler, water heater, range top and fireplace. Fireplace is a sealed unit with roof vent/intake so not an issue. Range-top is just a burner so no issue there. Never looked at the water heater because that is power vented exhaust only and was a simple up and out (one 90 degree bend) that exits through the sidewall maybe 15' away. Boiler required the manual because that was intake and exhaust (there are rules on distance between them but it's measured in inches), had longer runs, had more than a few 45 degree bends to get around beams and then up and out from there through the sidewall. We also had 1st floor windows to deal with but turns out that was only a few feet. Pipe diameter is also a factor. The manual will lay it all out for you.

/ Propane Direct Vent question
Thanks guys for your ideas. I had hoped that there was a standard distance it could be run... Guess not. I assume it'll have to be a power vent to move the air. It'll be in the center vaulted great room and run horizontally, we'll have no attic.

I will have to look at different manufacturers and look at their installation specs.

/ Propane Direct Vent question
I'm looking for a propane heater for my detached garage as well, 1200sf.

/ Propane Direct Vent question #10  
We just put in a direct vent propane gas fireplace in our cabin. It was a Regency, and had it PROFESSIONALLY installed. The flue / vent was quite pricey as it was a two part, stainless steel design. As said above, check the specs on what you buy. It sounds as if you plan on running this through an attic type space? That could be done with a roof vent, instead of a side wall.

Good luck on the "professionally installed" bit.
I had one "professionally installed", and it was illegal.