PT 422 fuel tank

/ PT 422 fuel tank #1  
Tractor
Power trac
Hello all. This is my first post under this log in. I couldn't remember my previous password so I joined again. Haha. Anyway, we have a PT 422 and we have had a problem with water getting into the gas tank around the cap. We have replaced the cap and still had issues. So I pulled the metal collar off of the tank and sealed it with a gas tank gasket. That worked well for a few months but we are getting water in the gas again. I'm thinking I am going to just replace the entire fuel tank. Does anyone have any info as to what tank that is? I wanted to just order one from Power Trac directly but wasn't able to call during their business hours. Now I am hoping to find one online so I can order it and be done with it. Anyone know of a tank that will fit?

/ PT 422 fuel tank #2  
No. I've never been able to find one on-line that looks the same.

How is water getting in there? It's under a hood isn't it? I'd suspect the fuel storage cans or fuel supply over the gas cap on the PT.

/ PT 422 fuel tank
It's definitely the gas tank/cap. If I fill the tank completely full with gas and shake the machine I can get gas to weep out of the area where the plastic tank connects to the metal cap throat. I assume that if gas gets out, water can get in. Plus we use the same gas cans to fill several different things. I own a tree care company and we use the same cans to fill our stump grinder, chipper, chain saw gas cans, generator, etc and don't have issues with any of the other things we fill. Just the loader. Once I put a new gasket in between the plastic tank and the metal of the cap throat and it solved the problem. That was last fall. Now we're getting water in again and if I fill the tank full and shake the machine I see gas weeping out of the exact same area.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #4  
My gas tank will spill gas out around the filler too, which is one reason i fill to 2/3 or 3/4. I live in a pretty wet climate, but do keep my PT under cover so there is that, but i've never found water in my gas tank. Not saying you aren't having a problem with water coming in around the filler, just surprised.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #5  
I just received a PT-425 and that shipped with a fully welded aluminum tank. Maybe you can get one of those for your PT-422?

pt-425-engine-compartment-left-jpg.690002

/ PT 422 fuel tank
Unfortunately we keep our machine outdoors. The engine cover has cut outs directly over the cap. Also, the tank has its seam right in that same area. I'm sure it's just a small opening but it must be enough to cause us problems. We tested the fuel with a fuel/moisture indicator and it showed water was present in the tank. It's not a big deal as the tank is easily replaced and we've had the machine for about 5 years now. I'm definitely not complaining about it. I love the PT422 and would buy another one tomorrow. I was just hoping to get another tank ordered tonight. If I have to wait until Monday to order from PT that's what I will do. They have always been great with their customer support.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #8  
Unfortunately we keep our machine outdoors. The engine cover has cut outs directly over the cap. Also, the tank has its seam right in that same area. I'm sure it's just a small opening but it must be enough to cause us problems. We tested the fuel with a fuel/moisture indicator and it showed water was present in the tank. It's not a big deal as the tank is easily replaced and we've had the machine for about 5 years now. I'm definitely not complaining about it. I love the PT422 and would buy another one tomorrow. I was just hoping to get another tank ordered tonight. If I have to wait until Monday to order from PT that's what I will do. They have always been great with their customer support.
Ah, well that explains that.

Maybe this will help?

2723BA33-964E-44CD-A87B-51DEE6732273.jpeg

Little umbrella over the cap? No? OK sorry.

I know I found real quick on my 2001 model year 425 that I cannot fill the tank or it will splash as I drive. I made gallon marks on the tank side and only put in 4 gallons at a time. That fuel cap on the plastic tank is a weak point for sure.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #9  
There has to be some venting on the tank or it would collapse. There's got to be a better solution. Can you put a shield over the filler cap on the underside of the hood to redirect any water away?

/ PT 422 fuel tank
There has to be some venting on the tank or it would collapse. There's got to be a better solution. Can you put a shield over the filler cap on the underside of the hood to redirect any water away?
I have thought about welding something over the holes on the engine cover. I think I may do that after I get a new tank in there.