PT 422 fuel tank

/ PT 422 fuel tank #11  
The tanks now come with a max fill line warning, which is about 3" down from the top. If you take the hood off and weld up the hole, you won't need another tank.
If you buy one of those aluminum tanks, please let us know the cost, bet they are pricey.
I am sure you know, but just to be sure, Be careful welding around a gas tank.

/ PT 422 fuel tank
Hi all. We ended up getting the aluminum tank and it has been working out well. We still have had some idling issues due to the water that was in the tank. I pulled it off and brought it to a small engine shop to have it professionally cleaned. That helped clear up most of the idling issues.

The tank ended up costing us right around $450 shipped.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #13  
Thanks for providing the price...I was wondering what that would cost. I might order one for safety reasons. I don't like a plastic tank, that leaks gas if someone fills it too full, sitting right next to a battery in a hot engine compartment. There's always oil soaked debris in the tub as well. It wouldn't take much of a fire to melt the tank and total the tractor. BTW, I assume everyone mounts a fire extinguisher somewhere on their tractor. This is a requirement in my view.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #14  
BTW, I assume everyone mounts a fire extinguisher somewhere on their tractor. This is a requirement in my view.
Somewhere as far as possible from the engine compartment. ;-)

/ PT 422 fuel tank #15  
You ever look at your lawnmower? Gas tank bolted on the engine next to the exhaust. And the tank is plastic.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #17  
You ever look at your lawnmower? Gas tank bolted on the engine next to the exhaust. And the tank is plastic.
On my 1845, I was driving along mowing long lanes one day happy as could be. It was dusk and, on one run, I noticed this fog in the air. That's odd, I thought. Did the temperature change that rapidly...you know, dew point, science and stuff...to cause the instant fog in the low part of my yard. As I circled back down there (was mowing in a large rectangle that allows maximum speed on the 1845), I picked up the scent of oil. The STRONG scent of oil. I kept going for a piece before it dawned on me...15 GPM at 3000 PSI plus a pin hole could create this condition. I stopped, looked around, and was amazed at the fog coming from the engine compartment. It looked like the machine was on fire. I started toward the shop but didn't make it. The fog was getting worse. Turns out, it was a rub-through pin hole in one of the hoses. I have no idea how long I'd been mowing before I realized what was happening.

With the exception of a zero turn, you're usually behind the engine. On a PT, a lot can go on back there before you realize there's a problem. Especially if you have a beer in the magnetic cup holder and you’re thinking about how the neighbor’s cute wife now watches you mow since buying a Power Trac. :)

I'm aware of a few PT fires in the past (especially the limited production with the fuel tank integrated into the hood). So, it does happen. I'm not saying an extinguisher is a panacea. But I'd at least like to have the option to defend myself and my expensive machine. The firetruck is just minutes away when seconds count.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #18  
I had a smelly mist on my 1850. Injector hose ruptured and was spraying into the cooling fan. Freaked out. Grabbed the extinguisher and waites fir it to all cool down.

/ PT 422 fuel tank #20  
I've got a couple broken valve cover bolts and I get about 20 minutes before oil starts seeping onto the hot parts. Can't get the broken bolts extracted from the heads. Only solution seems to be new heads and valve covers, as they don't make new heads with old-style valve covers for the Kohler. I've tried a couple rounds of sealant, but that doesn't work for more than a few hours, then back to the 20 minute rule. Grrrr.... gonna have to break down and do it.