PT Killer?

/ PT Killer? #1  

sinthome

Tractor
none
The base model 200 series with this new flail mower design might appeal to the PT425 crowd. The 600 series is what has my eye, but I think it is still just too expensive unless I was hiring it out full-time. They also have a front-mounted backhoe with boom pivot that turns the machine into a mini ex. Very impressive.

Avant Flail Mower new type - YouTube

/ PT Killer? #2  
Nice machines, and the telescoping front arms are awesome.

...but... not a PT killer. Different classes of machine, much more expensive, and the attachments are 2x the price as well. Avant 220 retail is about 2.5x the PT425.

/ PT Killer? #3  
Thanks for the laugh! Not even close. My Stihl weed trimmer with a blade is about that fast, though I have to say that the Avant has a very slick paint job. It blends in with the wild grape really well.
:cool2:

I would mow that at about 3-5mph, without even slowing down. It would take me less than a minute to do all of that.

In fairness to Avant, I'm not sure the operator knows how to use a flail mower well.

Seriously, check out Moss Road's brush cutting videos for an idea of what Power-Tracs do all day long. My 1445 mows 4" oaks in one pass. It can push pretty much anything over, and if it does, it's gone.

Last edited:
   / PT Killer? #4  
While I really like those, and we've all been looking at them for several years, I was kind of disappointed with that flail mower video. I did like that it wasn't flinging blades of death all over the place, but it got stuck on some sticks! I would have run that down with the PT425 and chopped it up in about a minute.

Fact checking... it was 42 seconds including pause for commentary...

"8' Honeysuckle.... Kind of hard one-handed, but anyway, its gone!" :thumbsup:

/ PT Killer? #5  
And a very old video of the PT425 VS a pretty large multi-flora rose bush.... just drive in, chop it at the base, then drive over it a few times. Gone! :)

/ PT Killer? #6  
I like this video of the Avant 420 with grapple. Very nice. And watch at the end how he loads the Avant onto the truck. This is similar to what I did with my PT425 (only from the back) before I got my trailer. There's definitely a niche for these small articulated machines!

/ PT Killer?
They are more expensive, true, but return on investment might be better, imo. And yeah the operator in that first video is quite slow.. I don't think it shows the full potential. But also it is a flail, which is gonna be a lot slower (but rewards a much finer mulch and can take a punch from a rock no prob).

To be clear, I wasn't trying to say that this flail is "faster" than a PT-style deck and to only compare them in that way is kinda facile. Where's the PT flail mower video, by the way? But, what I want to point out is the far superior hydraulics and controls, the excellent balance and turning radius, the superior fit and finish. If you put the same PT brush cutter on the Avant you would rip just as fast if not faster with the more efficient and intuitive hydraulics controls. And yeah yeah it is more expensive, etc. But give credit where it's due!

There is a 420 machine from 2016, hardly used, on ebay right now for $30k and several 600 series models, several years old, going for around 35-40k. Stacked against the brand new prices of PT1430 or the slope mowers.. I dunno which I'd choose. Spec em out and compare. The implements might be pricey but you could alwasy adapt for other brands and I have to say that there are some pretty innovative ones by Avant that might be worth it for some specialized purposes. Hopefully the prices keep going down as more used machines pop up, which seem to be happening. I think these mini loaders are the future of this class machine, but they are only just beginning to catch in the US. Anyway. I am just involving y'all in my own inner monologue debate on the pros and cons of various machines. Who knows, I may still wind up with a PT flavored tractor. Right now I am leaning toward the Avants, for the reasons described above.

Also, I got hypnotized by this county fair show-off and that's some impressive bale handling to say the least--

/ PT Killer?
This one demonstrates the articulation and balance pretty well. Granted, some of this is county fair "in case you missed it, folks!" tricks, but it is still a good demo--

/ PT Killer?
And if you look around on their product videos you can get a feel for how fast and effective this machine really is. This video demonstrates some impressive specialized loader abilities and the nimble intuitive responsiveness. Also those tote bags are freakin HEAVY!

Avant - Big bag transporter

/ PT Killer? #10  
They are more expensive, true, but return on investment might be better, imo....

There is a 420 machine from 2016, hardly used, on ebay right now for $30k....

There's a bunch of brand new PT425's waiting at the factory for 1/3 that price.... $11K! ;)

So where's the +300% ROI? I just don't see it for a homeowner. Don't see it at all.

You'd have to be doing some very specialized work at home to justify that cost, or you'd have to be doing a LOT of high-end landscaping professionally.