PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch)

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #41  
I have multiple logs and trees I need to skid out of s slough. I have a new 7,500 lb electric winch that I bought after someone posted a link on this site a few months back. It has 55' of steel cable and a 30' control cable that would keep me out of the line of fire. With several 50' chokers I could extend the reach. I was thinking about a 3 point mounted heavy plate to anchor the tractor and a short mast with a sheave to elevate the line pull. Anyone have an opinion about my poor mans plan?

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #42  
Electric winches are very slow if used near their capacity. Slow line speed for a minute or so, then a long cooling time.

Here is a HF 9000lb winch. Note the duty cycle and line speed (in red rectangles). It can run for about a minute at 8000lb, pulling about 6 feet, then a 15 minute cooling off period. That's around 25 ft per hour. At about 1/4 that load you will double your line speed, and reduce cooling time, but still slow.

HFwinch9000.jpg

Bruce

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #43  
Not to mention big electric winches draw huge amounts of current, and most Tractor alternators are really very small. Usually no more than 50 amps. Now where near what a large winch can draw. So hope your battery is in good shape.

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #44  
Thanks bcp......I didn't have any idea that the duty cycle was that low. Glad I asked! I'd say my design concept is a total bust! I guess I'll keep thinking.

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #46  
Not to mention big electric winches draw huge amounts of current, and most Tractor alternators are really very small. Usually no more than 50 amps. Now where near what a large winch can draw. So hope your battery is in good shape.

You can replace the alternator there are a number of them that I've found that work and will give you 200 amps or so. But that won't improve your duty cycle or pull speed.

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #47  
It has 55' of steel cable and a 30' control cable that would keep me out of the line of fire.

If you use a snatch block you will be pulling 90 degrees or so from the direct load pull, as well as doubling your pull. Throw a heavy blanket over the cable on the tractor side and it will dampen the snap back in the event of a cable failure.

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #48  
If you use a snatch block you will be pulling 90 degrees or so from the direct load pull, as well as doubling your pull. Throw a heavy blanket over the cable on the tractor side and it will dampen the snap back in the event of a cable failure.

Wrong. You can hook the snatch block to your load and hook the other end of the cable to a tree in the direction of the wince to double your pull. You can hook the winch cable directly to the load and hook the snatch block to a tree to change the direction. A pulley doesn't magically double the line pull.

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #49  
I do not understand why your rope is so hard on the capstan. The portable winch uses aluminum and works fine. But then I also use their low stretch rope which works great too. Maybe your ropes are tougher on the aluminum than what they use. I use a small plastic barrel to store the rope - just stuff it in and there is no tangling.

Ken

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #50  
Wrong. You can hook the snatch block to your load and hook the other end of the cable to a tree in the direction of the wince to double your pull. You can hook the winch cable directly to the load and hook the snatch block to a tree to change the direction. A pulley doesn't magically double the line pull.

You are right. Actually two snatch blocks would do that job. But changing direction is important when felling a tree, which is what I often do, as you don't want your tractor pulling directly in line with where your tree will fall, unless your line is much longer than the tree is tall.
1 clamp_on_forks2.jpg