PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch)

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #61  
Nice project! A bit late for the party, but I have a few comments. We use pulling machines (Greenlee , Maxis, Condux) for pulling electric power cable.

Capstan Wear - Our ropes pick up dirt, grit and water. Apparently the factory-made capstans are made of an alloy that is fairly robust. The ropes generally just polish the drums.

Ropes - Back in the day, we used triple braided ropes. We recently tested some Amsteel Blue and only some of the guys liked it. There were some complaints that it slipped too much on the capstans due to the smaller diameter of the rope in a given rating. To go with a rope with twice the diameter for the same pull increases the contact area of the rope / capstan for better traction is my guess.

Very low stretch polyester is what we normally use. I once pulled a long cable run (4-500MCM & Ground) with Greenlee braided rope where we needed to change the setup with about 300 feet remaining to be pulled. When we stopped and eased up on the rope, it went about 15-20 feet back into the conduit before stopping. I'm not sure Greenlee even sells this type of rope in the larger diameters any more.

In our application, most of the energy released in a rope failure would either be contained in the conduit and the cabinet we are pulling into, or shoot straight out of the end of the conduit. Using the winch in the open increases the area of exposure to flying things. If a chain would decide to ride the stretched rope back to your tractor it could get ugly.

Number of Wraps - In general, we have anywhere from 2 to 4 wraps on a capstan. The capstan diameter, load, rope and amount of finesse the operator has determine that. All of our ropes slip some on the capstans. Someone with good mechanical aptitude can quickly figure out how many wraps they need to do the pull without excess slippage while limiting the manual force they need to use pulling the rope.

Somewhere I saw a guy pulling logs who used some kind of cone on the end of the log so it skipped over small obstructions. When choked as in your video, it looks like logs like to go chain up. That would seem to make the nose of the log into the dirt (and roots and rocks).

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #62  
Very interesting build - thanks for posting!
I had been thinking about building a capstan winch, myself, but ended up buying a Fransgard. I had work that needed to be done and very limited time to do it. I think the winch paid for itself in a few months, vs hiring the work out. But I put a premium on DIY, so congrats on going that route.
A couple of thoughts on what I had been thinking, in terms of my own design:

I had settled on 5/8 double braid polyester for low stretch, UV resistance, water & dirt tolerance vs cost.

A larger capstan diameter produces less bending stress in the rope - so your rope will last longer and have a greater effective working strength when you use it.

As you have observed, some type of deadman mechanism is required for even moderately safe operation. My plan was to use an auto differential to get a 4:1 reduction ratio and the wonders of differential gearing. By attaching the capstan to one output shaft and a manually operated clutch to the other, I'd get the deadman function plus a way to slip the capstan if the line got fouled and the capstan failed to slip the rope when required.

Again, kudos for a great build - keep tweaking your design until to get that desired deadman feature. Work safe and keep the updates coming.
-Jim

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #63  
The portablewinch site sells the cones. I have one and they work real well. Having said that, I only use it when I am pulling lots of logs. The portable winch has sufficient power that the cone is not necessary. In my opinion, the major reason to use the cone is to protect other trees etc. I have found their rope and accessories to be reasonably priced and very useful.

Ken

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #64  
As you have observed, some type of deadman mechanism is required for even moderately safe operation. My plan was to use an auto differential to get a 4:1 reduction ratio and the wonders of differential gearing. By attaching the capstan to one output shaft and a manually operated clutch to the other, I'd get the deadman function plus a way to slip the capstan if the line got fouled and the capstan failed to slip the rope when required.

Wouldn't 4:1 with differential action change to 2:1 when only one side was turning?

Bruce

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #65  
Wouldn't 4:1 with differential action change to 2:1 when only one side was turning?

Bruce

What do you folks think about using a old Braden or Ramsey pto winch and adapting it to be used as a capstan style rope winch. Everything would be there, just would have to install some rope guides and etc. ??

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #66  

Bruce

What do you folks think about using a old Braden or Ramsey pto winch and adapting it to be used as a capstan style rope winch. Everything would be there, just would have to install some rope guides and etc. ??

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #67  
The capstan winches I've seen on vehicles were worm drive like that.

Bruce

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #68  
The capstan winches I've seen on vehicles were worm drive like that.

Bruce

Yes it would be a worm gear pto winch. My question is would it work as a capstan winch if you used rope and just threw a few wraps around drum and started pulling logs. Of corse it would have to have a more sophisticated guide system for the rope on and off spool. Seems like it would be inexpensive if person got the winch fairly cheap and had fabricating skills. What are your thoughts?

/ PTO Capstan Winch (from scratch) #69  
A regular PTO winch is supported by bearings on both ends of the drum. A capstan winch on only one end. A drive meant for a capstan may have a different bearing system to better support the capstan. The gear would need bearings on both sides to support the pull.

Maybe an adaptation of a marine capstan winch.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=marine+capstan+winch&iax=images&ia=images

Bruce