PTO Generator question

/ PTO Generator question #11  
It is much easier to buy a larger pto generator and not need it's full capacity, then to buy a tiny one and run short of power. The larger generator will also be able to start larger motors because of it's capacity for surge loading and then it will have the inertia to carry through a heavier starting load.
I have had my 25KW pto generator for well over 25 years and while I have never needed it's full capacity it is nice to have. Especially in light of the fact that my mini-splits may be a more economical way to heat the house in the winter time and it is nice for the cooling in the summer. I have in the last couple of years come much closer to reaching full capacity.
Get both 3 ton splits running and then the water well (3/4hp) kicks on and the freezers are running and everything just cadillacs along.

/ PTO Generator question #12  
I run my 15kw pto generator "mostly" with a tractor that only has 12.5 pto hp, it works just fine!

I even exercise the generator by running my welder and side grinder with it, and it works great for that too.

SR

/ PTO Generator question
Right now I park my truck at the back door before storms or when power goes out, and run 4 extension cords inside for freezers, fridge and a small oil filled heater or window ac. That is powered by the inverter in the truck, truck has 3 batteries.

When diesel was $5 a gallon, a car hooked to the truck maintained the batteries just fine.

We built the stoops and deck using the same setup before we had power, with saws, drills etc. Going at same time.

I am double thinking this...ugh....the smaller one would work fine BUT the bigger one...gas construction type generators use so much fuel just for 5000w, I can easily store 100+ gallons of diesel and treat it for the tractor and "the generator "

/ PTO Generator question #14  
Okay, I will check only the "critical" needs and I don't have to have the freezers on continuous...
As stated, full sized freezers and refers may only draw 100W or so when running. It's the startup that is difficult. My last refer needed a startup current of about 15 Amps, but only 1A when running. When firing up your genny, prob all of your large motors in the refers/freezers will try to start at once, so your initial current draw may be huge. Unless you manually turn them on one-at-a-time.

I have heard of slow-start kits to reduce the initial current draw for motors, but I have no experience with them. Others may opine.

/ PTO Generator question
Just unplugging them all but one, and wait 5 min, between plugging next one in would solve that problem

/ PTO Generator question
Plus, once cold, well .....they are cold so they won't be on...so the small one should be perfect. No need for stove/oven can cook outside or just warm up canned food (pressure canned food)

Thanks everyone, 🍔🌭🌮🍕🥂🍻🧉🥃🍷🍹cheers!

I've been in dr. Offices and getting a new phone, so I needed something to ramble about today 😁

/ PTO Generator question #17  
...gas construction type generators use so much fuel just for 5000w, I can easily store 100+ gallons of diesel and treat it for the tractor and "the generator "

This was a major reason for my switch to a pto generator 5 years ago. Storing and handling gas was a real pain. I generally store around 150 gallons of diesel for the mowers and tractor.

/ PTO Generator question
I have 4 steel barrels from work, new just had coolant in them (its a synthetic oil that mixes with water at a mixing valve). Each on a hard wood pallet. Hand crank pump, fuel filter, water separator and typical pump handle.

So load one on the truck, fill 2 miles away, treat and store and use what is oldest 1st, atleast I will have a tractor, power and already have ammo and several range cards ready.

At a gallon a day to run the tractor working (once I get everything prepared) we should be gtg...

/ PTO Generator question #19  
As stated, full sized freezers and refers may only draw 100W or so when running. It's the startup that is difficult. My last refer needed a startup current of about 15 Amps, but only 1A when running. When firing up your genny, prob all of your large motors in the refers/freezers will try to start at once, so your initial current draw may be huge. Unless you manually turn them on one-at-a-time.

I have heard of slow-start kits to reduce the initial current draw for motors, but I have no experience with them. Others may opine.
Both my freezer and fridge are about 5 years old, but are soft start, so they don't need that big draw. My freezer is 24cu ft and holds half a cow.

/ PTO Generator question
Did you add the capacitors yourself?