PTO Generator question

/ PTO Generator question #31  
Low voltage and low frequency, much like a brownout. A generator without enough capacity can not carry the surge load and the governors in those engines can't respond fast enough. Not having adequate mass to carry through a surge load.

/ PTO Generator question #32  
Yup. High tech frequency drive units are especially vulnerable to junky power. A generator capable of producing fairly clean power that can handle clean inrush power draw is very important.

By the way, weve been running on my 22 kw genny for over an hour now. Utility website states 8,100 customers without power.
IMG_6910.jpeg

IMG_6911.jpeg

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator question
You folks are killing me, I have researched and it is honestly 50/50 on go smaller or larger....(pull out hair, take a shot emoticon) 😁

/ PTO Generator question #34  
The ONE important thing that most people fail to do is, ISOLATE the utility power from your power source simply because if you are providing standby power with no isolation from the utility, you are back feeding the utility and putting repair crews in great danger of electrocution.

Why I always recommend a full breakout vacuum operated switch that will automatically 'break out' utility power from standby power. You don't want to be held liable for any injuries to utility people due to your ignorance, I would presume.

/ PTO Generator question #38  
IF it has a hydro, you better subtract a lot more than 5hp from engine to pto, most loose nearly double that.

Then there's the fact that for EXTENDED periods of time, you shouldn't pull more than 80% rated power out of your pto.

Buy the bigger pto generator, you will thank me later!

SR

/ PTO Generator question #39  
Not something I'm ever concerned about here as I have 2 standby gen sets. Both Generac btw. One is out next to the shop and it's a diesel fired (John Deere turbo diesel) that makes 27 KW at 230 volts 3 phase to run the shop and the barns and feeds off my 500 gallon bulk diesel tank and the other is a 17 KW propane fired Generac standby unit that runs the house and both have vacuum operated transfer switches that break out utility power automatically and initiate their start up sequence immediately upon utility fail and assume the entire load after a 45 second warm up. Both are around 20 years old and I've had zero issues with either one. I even have a 30 amp weatherproof breakout next to the house so my 'less than fortunate' neighbors can access power if they want to. We are on 2 seperate meters here. One for the shop and barns which is 220/3 and the house which is 220/1.

All basically no touch too. I would dread hooking up a tractor powered genny when it's storming outside anyway.

My diesel unit out next to the shop is capable of 408/3 but it's wired for 220/3 instead and I had a certified electrician do all the electrical work.

I don't play with electricity at all. Good way to get dead.

/ PTO Generator question #40  
My outages usually happen during snow storms. I set out my 5kw gasoline generator to keep the house powered, while using my tractor to clear the driveway, move snow, etc…
I wouldn’t want to have my expensive tractor tied up to a generator function during storms.
To each, their own choice