Generator pto generator

/ pto generator #12  
great link, paul! thanks for digging that up!

amp

One of the things they point out in that link is the necessity (and absence) of a frequency meter on most of the PTO generators. They aren't cheap, even at Surplus Center. Their $165 model 30-FHXX-14 would be a good one to use. Most, if not all of the gensets we had in the military used that type. They hold up, and they are accurate.

/ pto generator #13  
One of the things they point out in that link is the necessity (and absence) of a frequency meter on most of the PTO generators. They aren't cheap, even at Surplus Center. Their $165 model 30-FHXX-14 would be a good one to use. Most, if not all of the gensets we had in the military used that type. They hold up, and they are accurate.

I use a Kill A Watt meter to check frequency - $22

Amazon.com: P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor: Electronics

/ pto generator #15  
The company claims to have an accuracy of +/- 0.2% Some people dispute this claim, but disputes seem to be around current (amperage) numbers, not frequency.

Full disclosure: I own two of these. The nice thing is that you can plug it in the house to monitor frequency.

/ pto generator #16  
The Killawatt is plenty accurate for setting your generator output(and pretty convenient also). It is way more accurate than the tractor or standalone engine governor is:) People tend to get too concerned with frequency anyway. You don't have to have 60.0000000HZ. You don't even get that from the power company. Most providers probably only advertise +/-10% frequency stability. That is 54-66HZ, and unless you are doing nuclear science, it is perfectly fine to keep the lights on. Most electronic devices these days convert it to DC anyway. In fact, about the only way you might notice you are running 55HZ and not 60HZ without a meter is if you have an old plug in analog clock, as the under freq will cause that type clock to run slow... I would be way more concerned with under or over voltage than under or over freq.

I have compared my Killawatt against my Fluke 87 multimeter, and mine is right on, or at least the errors are way smaller than what it would take to concern me:) For $22-$30 they are hard to beat, and IMO no one who makes their own power should be without one. They are also real handy to determine exactly how much power you need when choosing a generator.

/ pto generator #17  
I am looking into a pto generator as we start moving into winter. The best option available seems to be the northern tools generator

One issue I see is that I have a ford 1100 which is rated at 13hp but there seems to be consensus on 2hp for every Kw for a pto gen. In the past I have never found that little shibaura engine to struggle with anything, but I wonder if anyone has any experience with a similar situation, or any opinion on matching this gen to a 13hp tractor.

I have the 13KW version of this PTO generator from Northern, I run it on a 27HP engine tractor. Works great, our power goes off a lot. I chose a PTO rather than standalone generator because I use the tractor all the time, so I know it will run when I need it. If I bought a standalone I'd have to run it every once in awhile and keep the fuel fresh, one more thing I'll be kicking myself over not doing when it's -20 outside.

/ pto generator #18  
I own the northern tool pto generater pictured behind a yanmar 2000 . ran it with the pto in 2nd (2000 rpm )gear for 15 hrs.( 5 gallons of fuel).Ran hot water heater refrigerater microwave tv lites computer. would not run dish washer. did not try furnace. heard it may not handle a microprocesser. It is mounted on a carryall with a square dolley mounted on bottom.

I would love to see the pic of your setup, carryall/dolly, but it may not be there since it's an older post. can you send another photo? thanks....

/ pto generator #19  
I am looking into a pto generator as we start moving into winter. The best option available seems to be the northern tools generator

One issue I see is that I have a ford 1100 which is rated at 13hp but there seems to be consensus on 2hp for every Kw for a pto gen. In the past I have never found that little shibaura engine to struggle with anything, but I wonder if anyone has any experience with a similar situation, or any opinion on matching this gen to a 13hp tractor.

Even though Gary gave you the theoretical 'perfect' KW conversion from hp.. it' just don't happen in this non perfect world.

About 2hp per generated KW is a great rule of thumb.

I thinkt he NT 7kw genhead is a great match for your machine.. It means that you will likely not overload the head.. and.. if your machine dino's out higher than rated hp.. you might even be using the head to full potential.

I have the northern 12.5kw head.. love it.. put it on a 3pt carry-all.. I've taken it out to my farm property to run power tools and power up the well before we had power out there.. has powered my place during hurricanes.

As for the detractors that don't like pto gens because the power has to be off while the tractor is playing.. keep in mind that during an emergency.. most of the time you do not need 24/7 power.. but rather will be doing a duty cycle to keep the refer's cold, and well pumped up.. etc.. etc. Who wants to live next to the guy with the genny running 24/7???

frequency meter's can be had cheaper than are posted here..

soundguy

/ pto generator #20  
I seem to be finding the same thing here. I thought the PTO generator would be cheaper because there was no separate engine. I also like not having to maintain a second engine, but the economics just aren't worth it. The only advantage I've found so far is if you need a BIG generator. Then, the PTO units start to make some sense.

Has anyone found a small (say, 5000 watts or so), cheap, PTO generator?

In my area you can't touch a dedicated gen the same capacity of a pto gen for the same price.

soundguy