PTO Reverse Safety

/ PTO Reverse Safety
Bob, you can reverse with the PTO engaged but you have to lift the PTO switch first (every time you change direction !). I bought this thing in May 2000. It is full of micro switches and sensors.

1) Cannot start without pressing parking break.
2) Cannot start with PTO engaged.
3) Cannot get off with PTO engaged.
4) Cannot get off with engine running before setting parking break.

They all make sense... Except the reverse cut off.

Oh ya, and my favorite one. I t will always run better if stored next to tractor of a different color. This ones easy to circumvent though, I use chair, draped with an orange towel !

Mark

/ PTO Reverse Safety #12  
You're right, they all make sense except the reverse cut-out. Maybe there's somebody else out there with a 345 or a new JD 400 series. The 400 series might have the same "safety" set-up and I think I recall something about one of those being discussed here a while back. But then again, they say memory is one of the first things to go.

It might be worth an inquiry to John Deere to find out why they set things up the way they did. Federal requirement, brain cramp, never mowed lawn before, other? It would be interesting to hear.

Bob Pence

/ PTO Reverse Safety #13  
mrolson. The safety switches are working exactly as they ar e supposed to. To disconnect the reverse shut-off find the switch inside the left frame rail that the hydro control touchs when in reverse. Bend it out of the way and your problem is solved. Dave.

/ PTO Reverse Safety #14  
I have to correct myself. I believe that swith is on the inside of the right frame rail. Dave.

/ PTO Reverse Safety
Dave, Dropped the blower, raised the tractor, crawled around on the cold ground looking for that switch. I think I can hear it but I can't see it. Maybe this is a warm weather task. Would it be wrong to flip the tractor over to work on it /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

<font color=green>Mark</font color=green>

/ PTO Reverse Safety #16  
Mark. I think it would be a better idea to hitch a chainfall or other lifting device to the front end and stand the tractor up on its tail. Dave.

/ PTO Reverse Safety
Dave Thanks !!! I have been looking and looking... just not in the right spot ! No more safety. More snow, more snow. I seem to be repeating myself here.

<font color=green>Mark</font color=green>

/ PTO Reverse Safety #18  
I have JD345 and I love it, I do alot of backing up while mowing so I disengaged my reverse pto safty switch by removing the bolt and spacer that is mounted to the reverse pedal arm. The bolt with the spacer around it is what touches the switch to disengae the blades. All I had to do was remove the deck and reach up there and unscrew the bolt with the spacer around it, I think it was a 10mm. If ever needed all you have to do to reinstall it, is to screw it back in.
This really made a difference in the comfort and mowing time.

/ PTO Reverse Safety #19  
Hi, I have a LX279 2000 model. I asked the same question as you. The answer I got was some one was mowing the lawn and backed over their little child and the mower cut the little child. John Deere ended up in a law suite and guess who was at fault? You got it John Deere lost. If you tell some one how to disable it and they mow over some one in reverse you could be next. Think about it in this world we live in. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

/ PTO Reverse Safety #20  
The RIO actually works counter to it's intended purpose. It's intended purpose (beside protecting the tractor manufacturer from liability) is to prevent mower blade injuries in addition to those sustained by being backed over by the tractor. The problem with this device is that instead of looking backwards when you back up to see if anybody/anything is there, your attention is devirted to the operation of the overide switch on the foward dash panel. You're fiddling with the switch rather that looking behind you when you back up.

I have a neighbor with a JD LT155 with RIO. He's got that overide switch down real well.......but never looks behind him when he backs up which is very often.