3-Point Hitch PTO Seal leaking

/ PTO Seal leaking #21  
removing the cover will let you visually inspect inside and see if any more damage was done. If you get away with having only damaged the front cover, I think you can go get yourself a lotto ticket because other cases I have heard about involved internal damage. What you have done essentially is used a too long shaft to shove the PTO stub shaft into the transmission. I don't know if your extension bottomed out on the pto stub and pushed hard on the shaft and bearings or if you got lucky and the extension slide over the shaft and only pushed on the cover, while you have the cover off, I would take a good look at what is on the other end of that pto stubshaft inside the transmission.

/ PTO Seal leaking
That does make sense. The seal was completely buggered up as shown, and there is no in and out play, at all, strictly about 1/32 of an inch directly up and down (if even that much), so fingers crossed it is just the cover, bearing and seal that took the hit.

I am hoping that the seal is sufficiently in there and stays in there long enough for me to use the loader for snow removal until the parts come in.

/ PTO Seal leaking
So I got the cover off. Everything looks good, except the little piece of the former seal that had worked its way in between the bearing and the housing (pto cover) on the side, causing the little bit of up and down play, and putting it off just enough to throw the seal.

New gasket made by The Right Stuff, new cover, new seal and back in business. Blew the driveway for a couple hours and no more leak.

Lesson learned, buy a new pto shaft instead of an extender, and be mindful of how strong the three point hitch is.

Attachments

• 20240203_085755.jpg
    20240203_085755.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
   / PTO Seal leaking #24  
great news, It is always nice when the lesson doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Is the picture you posted of the cover you replaced?

/ PTO Seal leaking
Yup. With the piece of seal right where I found it.