3-Point Hitch PTO Seal leaking

/ PTO Seal leaking
Correct on raising the surface around the prick mark, but would that not act as a little bit of a bite, which hopefully will alleviate the seal walking itself off?

Unfortunately I am coming to the realization that with the extender grinding into the seal, and the seal coming off, it is possible that no OEM seal with suffice as the cover may be slightly wider now, hence my seal coming off so easy.

But, if I can get the current seal to fit on the current cover, I can at least get the driveway done, and buy myself some time to find a new PTO cover, if one can get just the cover, and a new seal, and then replace the cover, with yet another new seal of course.

/ PTO Seal leaking #12  
One of the old standbys for securing things was yellow death 3M trim adhesive.
1705415192351.png

If the seal is going in loosely and not staying, knurling with a prick punch then a coat of this on the outer edge of the seal may work quite well for a while.

/ PTO Seal leaking #13  
There is no play in and out, and only about 1/32 of an inch up and down, but really gotta try and move it up and down, just to say that there is some play there. Nothing side to side either.

It is looking like I will attempt the red Loctite after thoroughly cleaning the contact edge, and let it sit 24 hours prior to filling it back up to use. We keep getting dumped on here with snow.
I woke up thinking about that PTO this morning. If you are talking about the PTO output shaft being able to move 1/32 inch up and down, that sounds to me like a damaged bearing or bearing support. If the bearing is good, there shouldn't be any up and down play in the shaft. That motion would cause the seal to "walk".

If the bearing or bearing support is the problem, no seal will ever last. You may want to take a second look at the bearing.
rScotty

/ PTO Seal leaking
That makes complete sense. I believe the bearing support would be the outer cover based on the parts diagram from Messicks.

SO, going to try to "knurling" with a punch on the outside lip, some appropriate Loctite on the seal, let it cure, and then fill with fluid. Cross my fingers, say a prayer, and attempt the blower. Band-aid repair, I can admit it.

Going ahead, I believe the proper course of action will be new cover (Fig. No. C425XX), new seal (#070) and new bearing (#060).
1705422962898.png

/ PTO Seal leaking #15  
That makes complete sense. I believe the bearing support would be the outer cover based on the parts diagram from Messicks.

SO, going to try to "knurling" with a punch on the outside lip, some appropriate Loctite on the seal, let it cure, and then fill with fluid. Cross my fingers, say a prayer, and attempt the blower. Band-aid repair, I can admit it.

Going ahead, I believe the proper course of action will be new cover (Fig. No. C425XX), new seal (#070) and new bearing (#060).
View attachment 847027

I'm afraid we are both right - It's more than just a seal problem.
I'd still go with a two-part filled (not transparent) epoxy.....like JB Weld or Devcon or 3M's 5200. All at the hardware store. Or whatever is popular at your local airport or marina. The thicker viscosity of the 2 part epoxy with filler will keep it in place while it cures, I'm afraid the loctite is not viscous enough without filler...even the green. The Loctite might work if the seal cover was out and horizontal. Epoxy is stronger in thin gaps than Loctite is, and you are going to either scrap that case or sleeve it anyway.

BTW, there are thin metal sleeves made for that purpose. I've never used one myself.

What I am really tickled to see is that that outer cover is able to be removed and replaced. And looks straightforward. I was afraid that might be a one-piece rear casting and only accessible from inside.
Luck,
rScotty

/ PTO Seal leaking #16  
Is the housing actually bent in the area circled in yellow?

Although a sleeve might work to compensate for uniform wear, I doubt it would compensate for the housing being bent if that is what has happened.

PTO cover bent.jpg

Last edited:
   / PTO Seal leaking
I am very happy to see that the cover can be replaced as well. Otherwise it would have been much more costly than it is.

And no, the cover is not bent there, but the outter ring isn't perfectly round, with two sections straight and not round.

Attachments

• 20240115_190411.jpg
    20240115_190411.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
   / PTO Seal leaking
And the bearing, cover, and seal have been ordered.

Read somewhere someone recommended using Permatex Anaerobic Flange Sealant for the PTO cover as well. That make sense?

/ PTO Seal leaking #19  
3m weather stripping
Adhesive sets up nice and hard also

/ PTO Seal leaking #20  
Is this a problem with Kubotas?

Mom got a Kubota BX2380. It sprung a leak within the first 3 months or so of ownership. Mom got it repaired under warranty, but it is a bit worrisome.

As far as the OP's tractor, perhaps you could machine an aluminum plate to hold the seal in place, and even give it a little protection.