"Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling?

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling?
6 for "lift it"
3 for "pull it"

:)

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #23  
I’ll admit, I’m surprised there are people suggesting to pull it. If it was made to be pulled, it would have wheels and bearings. It doesn’t, and it’s not designed to be pulled long distances at “high” speeds. However, your tractor WAS designed to lift it and carry it. I don’t have any idea what people think may brake, but that’s what the 3ph is for. As mentioned, if you start bouncing, slow down. Common sense.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #24  
Tow it, don't carry it, that whole implement ain't worth risking ANY damage to your tractor........ period.

But then if one doesnt want to risk ANY tractor damage, dont even mow with it. Hit a rock, or stump and you're risking damage. slip clutches dont always slip, and shear bolts dont always shear in time. :confused2: Thats also why tools should be matched to tractor horsepower. A 75 hp rated gearbox on a mower may not have the bolt shear when pulled behind a 25 hp tractor.

I've seen it twice through the years. a grade 3 shear bolt only cut half way.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #25  
My opinion, Tow it. Yes the tractor is designed to handle lifting it. But towing it reduces the wear and tear on the tractor whether it's designed for it or not. I imagine the tail wheel and bearing will last many years, particularly at tractor speeds.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling?
6 for "lift it"
4 for "pull it"

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #27  
I seem to remember a thread about traveling across a field with a hog on the 3point and hitting a big bump. Broke major parts inside. I would rather wear down and replace a $40 wheel than something big.

And I broke a lift arm carrying my rototiller up when traveling. So I would pull it.:thumbsup:

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #28  
I always move with my emplements off the ground. If the tractor was designed to lift it, there should be no problems traveling with it up. For those who have broke something, I would say you were doing something you should not have been doing to start with.

Eddie

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #29  
Looks like a pretty beefy cutter to me. I don't think I would want all that weight bouncing around on the 3pt system for 4 miles. Me I would let the tail wheel carry some of the weight.

MarkV

I agree ... vote for pull it.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #30  
If you think the tractor is straining a little with it lifted, I would pull it. The shredder is designed to be used with the back wheel on the ground, so it won't hurt it any more than if you are mowing.