Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #51  
Seems like some of the semi drivers around here graduated from cab school in NYC and they put them right in a semi truck. Can't communicate on deliveries and they have a heck of a time turning their trailers around. Scary they are on the road.

There is one fellow that drives semi for Fed Ex that delivers at the club. He is a master at his craft. Whips that trailer around the cars like a magician. I tell the guys when he pulls in. "Watch this guy, He is amazing."
When you "bump" ~20 docks a day, you better get good or else your on the wrong business.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #52  
When the CDL replaced my "chauffeur's" license in the mid eighties, I had gone back to school and was working in high tech. Thought that I had my last job so I did not bother. Fast forward to 2003 when the plant closed, around 4000 or so people went looking for new jobs. The commute to find work did not appeal to me. I opted for a free CDL class that Uncle Sam paid the 6k for. Drove a few years then moved to KY where I found a job in Aerospace. My CDL is now on hold due to not updating my physical. At 73, I don't see myself driving for a living and don't have the money for any big toys so I think I will be dropping it upon renewal.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #53  
When you "bump" ~20 docks a day, you better get good or else your on the wrong business.
Back in the day, I watched a town delivery driver with a 32' ~ trailer and day cab, drive straight towards the loading dock at a 90° angle and when he got within a few feet of the dock, make a tight 180° turn. When he straightened out and stopped, the back of the trailer was square to the dock and less than 2 feet away.

And he wasn't driving slow, he was trying to make up some time. The dust was stirred up pretty good.

His name was Red something, and he drove for CCC

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #54  
Diesel driven water pumps start out weighing around 3,500lbs for a 25hp 4" pump and go up from there.

Average weight of a 6" pump is around 4,500ish to 5500lbs depending on how they are set up.

I driver commercially instate and out. I don't stop for the local weigh stations in the state. They see our trucks constantly and bypass us anyway.

I have to have a DOT med card for anything over 10,000lbs. That could be just truck, or truck and trailer.

I haven't read through all the posts. But I believe most states have an ag exemption.

I'm thinking the issue is more that it was a dump truck with out name, commercial markings, or dot numbers. Even if it's just a 1 ton.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #55  
Most of us haul personal items with personal pickup trucks. It is possible it is different if you are using it for a business.

Here in Oregon, there are two types of trailer licenses.

Under 8,000 lbs, regular trailer plate.

Over 8,000 lbs, permanent plate. With that, the trailer is part of the truck weight licensing, and it requires "T" plates on the truck.

I assume your trailer had working trailer lights, and electric brakes.

My guess is you have less than $1000 in fines and it will be easier to pay it then to fight it out of town. However, if it was a personal thing for myself, I'd be tempted to fight the charges. A lot sounds like complete BS from a junior officer that is still learning the ropes.

A good fire extinguisher is a smart idea.
Anytime you're hauling something and getting paid to do it and if you're doing it for your own business you are getting paid for it, ten you are a commercial driver and need a CDL and abide by all the DOT rules for you, your truck and your trailer. If you are NOT getting paid in anyway, including being reimbursed for fuel, and less than 26001 pounds all up, then you are probability not a commercial driver. Some local yokels may have a different view.

Last edited:
   / Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #56  
When the CDL replaced my "chauffeur's" license in the mid eighties, I had gone back to school and was working in high tech. Thought that I had my last job so I did not bother. Fast forward to 2003 when the plant closed, around 4000 or so people went looking for new jobs. The commute to find work did not appeal to me. I opted for a free CDL class that Uncle Sam paid the 6k for. Drove a few years then moved to KY where I found a job in Aerospace. My CDL is now on hold due to not updating my physical. At 73, I don't see myself driving for a living and don't have the money for any big toys so I think I will be dropping it upon renewal.
It was in the mid 80's that I was hauling bark mulch and brush with the family pickup and decided to get the Chauffeur's license. At that time it was just a written exam and no practical test. It turns out that it really didn't apply to me.

Then by the mid 90's, I got the notice of CDL Class A or CDL Class B. My life was going in a different direction at that time and I let my Chauffeur's license go. I now wish that I had kept it as there would be less question about towing. Of course, there would also be logs and time restrictions.

I'm looking at a really sweet, but heavily abused former Hot Shot RAM 4500, skeletonized with a 5th wheel hitch. It would make a really sweet tow rig, and one wouldn't have to haul around a pickup bed (although I like my pickup bed and bumper pull trailers).

Yet, while a pickup with an 8,000 to 10,000 pound trailer can fly under the radar, that RAM 4500 would surely attract too much attention.

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #57  
Next time put a "not for hire" sticker on the truck...
You can put a "not for hire" sticker on the truck but that isn't going to protect you if you are doing commercial work, meaning the pump you picked up is for a business that makes money. Hence the pump is used commercially, so the truck pulling it is also engaged in business. Being in the business of trucking has very little to do with it, but if you are hauling for your company which is making money (or just trying to!) and you are hauling equipment to do so, you technically are required to jump thru the hoops of a Commercial hauler. The weight below 25,999 might get you some relief, but the addition of a trailer over 10K tends to pose a problem to a lot of people when used commercially.
Commercial vehicles do require fire extinguishers which have to be in date and also charged up between the limits of where the needle shows in the green area. Reflective triangles, flares etc are also required.
As far as do you have to enter the weigh stations, read the signs posted before you reach them. All Commercial vehicles, yes you do. In Florida, my F350 non commercial use is tagged commercial only because it weighs over 5K. Non commercial use only so I don't go into weigh stations with it, but I am required to go into the Agriculture Inspection stations if I am pulling a trailer. (all trailers must enter except RV)
The laws are a royal pain in the southbound end of a north bound donkey, but we have done it to ourselves! We keep voting in people who pass laws based on what the loudest squeeking wheel is saying!
Sometimes common sense takes a vacation when enacting CDL rules!
David from jax

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #58  
My advice for CDL stuff is to call and talk to the state trooper in your state(or states that you plan to tow in) that actually does the pulling over.(not just any state trooper)

There are so many threads with so much wrong information about CDL laws. I’ve

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #59  
I agree with misinformation. Because CDL requirements have to do with ratings. They have nothing to do with what you are hauling. So if you are hauling a single hay bail to feed to your rabbit or if you are hauling a billboard that advertises what company you are commercially hauling for, makes no difference.

Agree, I called several local people, Police, CDL school and testing. Found out exactly the risk I was running when I hook up my 1 ton to my trailer. $$$

/ Pulled over for a one-ton truck pulling a water pump in CT. #60  
More than a few tag tow a Toy Hauler...

Had a friend with diesel excursion and large toy hauler... only time stopped he said moving things to or from the cabin... he was always moving things as it were.

He went to GMC suburban as being able to lick things inside a plus...

Lots of plated 9980 or 9990 pound Super Duties as a work around.

That said the bee keeper never had any issues when his F250 had a pickup box but that changed when he pulled the bed to install a small flat bed to better carry her hives...

With the flat bed he was pursued passing a weigh station...