Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #51  
Don, how did you attach your rope to the tree? My question is, how do you avoid a knot that gets really tight when you pull forward?

I finished your invention, and tested it yesterday with just a half load since I only had a 200 pound test rope. Everything worked great. I have to make a small modification; since my unit is large and heavy I had added a handle to help put it in the cart, but I need to move the handle. If I had to do it all over I'd make the entire unit an inch narrower -- it's a bit tough to line up to put back in the cart. Also, I forgot to think about storage -- I should have hinged the front vertical board, and then could have removed the side 2x4 supports (I used bolts) and hinged the unit for easy inside storage. But other than that, it works great. I'll try to post pics shortly.

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #52  
bill333 said:
Don, how did you attach your rope to the tree? My question is, how do you avoid a knot that gets really tight when you pull forward?

I use a tow strap -or- chain, with hooks. Hook one end around a tree and the other end to the rope on the slide out. The rope on my slide-out is tied in two places (2x4 angled supports) forming a 'U' shape so it's not necessary to do any knot tieing to pull it out. Just hook and pull.

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #53  
Well, here it is in action...my first post with photos, so hopefully I'm doing this right.
Two pics show the entire 'system' in action. Note that the bag on the Cyclone rake is bypassed. The entry vacuum hose goes to the vacuum, and then outputs into the large cart. On the imput side, I'm trying something new; instead of the backbreaking method of manually sucking up the leaves, I attached the input hose to a box (just a plastic storage bin) with 2 boards forming an entry shute. I then use a backpack blower to blow leaves into the box.
The other pic shows the sled.

The system works great. A little slow in some ways (getting the leaves into the box takes some subtle blower work, and getting the whole system in place takes a while). But once going, it saves the big time waster, dumping the leaves, since this cart holds at least 5x what the cyclone rake bag holds, and now with the sled, the dumping is very quick.

Attachments

• leafsystem1small.jpg
    leafsystem1small.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 428
  • leafsystem2small.jpg
    leafsystem2small.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 385
   / Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #54  
pic of the sled....

Attachments

• sledsmall.jpg
    sledsmall.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 354
   / Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #55  
bill333 said:
The system works great..........the dumping is very quick.

Excellent! Should be good for years to come.

I have an idea'r. :D For the next update down the road apiece. Is there a possibility of hooking the large wagon up behind the cyclone rake and pulling the whole rig while vacuuming with the mower deck. It kinda be like driving an 18 wheeler that doesn't back up. :rolleyes: .....but it would work in open areas. Just 'leafin' a thought for a future project. :) You can never have to many future projects. :D

Good job on the sled!

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #56  
Well, as for the sled, I have you to thank, it's your design!
BTW, there was no problem at all with the larger size, it still just slides out fine.

Regarding the 'semi' idea, I have thought of this. I'm not sure if the 'trailer' on the rake would be strong enough to connect the cart to. What I have considered is, at some point, finding someone to help me weld a small platform on the front of the cart, above the level of the tongue. I could mount the vac on that (it is held in place on the vac cart by just two bolts) and do away with the vac bag altogether.
Thanks again for all you help on this.
Bill

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #57  
I just put a Cyclone XL unit into operation and I'm pleased with the boot, suction hose, motor/blower unit and hardware pieces...but...the container is a royal pain. Velcro has no place in dusty dirty applications and the vent/filter is continually getting plugged. Cyclone moulded in a pressure blow off outlet on the chute that feeds into the leaf container and I'm sure they did this because they knew the thing would plug the screen often. Last year I purchased the DR premiere unit w/the Subaru/Robin engine but sent it back. Without question I now know DR has the superior container. Hard sides, easy to open and their seperator on top is the best I've seen...but...the rest of the DR product was lacking compared to the Cyclone deluxe XL unit. (Heavy, tippy, smaller hoses, etc.) I'd rather keep the Cyclone unit and mount a DR container on the cart. This would be the best of both worlds...but...DR will not sell me parts unless I own a DR lawn vac. I was dumbfounded a company would not sell me parts unless I could verify ownership of a unit. They didn't even know why or what I wanted the parts for nor did they care. I'm in a quandry of what to do. I really like the Cyclone except for the cheesy fabric cart design but if I cannot come up with a solution this unit is going back to Cyclone this week. ( I pull the vac w/a Hustler ZTR.) Trac Vac has what I think is the best idea by mounting the blower directly to the tractor while pulling the cart like a trailer however their products appear to be of a lower overall quality. Anybody please jump in here and give me your two cents worth please. David.

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #58  
TRAC-VAC Don't leaf home without it.
I've had one for years and the quality is excellent.
Nothing has broken, keeps on working. We have
so many leaves here that I had to empty the trailer
some years up to 25 times.:eek: I did put a set of
small dolly wheels at the very back of the trailer to
aid in unloading, they keep the rear of the frame from
dragging on the ground.

I recommend the Trac-Vac very highly. My model
has the engine mounted on the draw bar of the trailer.

Bill

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #59  
Hey Bill Hoffman. What model Trac Vac do you have and can you post a picture for me? Thanks.

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #60  
I just put a Cyclone XL unit into operation and I'm pleased with the boot, suction hose, motor/blower unit and hardware pieces...but...the container is a royal pain. Velcro has no place in dusty dirty applications and the vent/filter is continually getting plugged. Cyclone moulded in a pressure blow off outlet on the chute that feeds into the leaf container and I'm sure they did this because they knew the thing would plug the screen often. Last year I purchased the DR premiere unit w/the Subaru/Robin engine but sent it back. Without question I now know DR has the superior container. Hard sides, easy to open and their seperator on top is the best I've seen...but...the rest of the DR product was lacking compared to the Cyclone deluxe XL unit. (Heavy, tippy, smaller hoses, etc.) I'd rather keep the Cyclone unit and mount a DR container on the cart. This would be the best of both worlds...but...DR will not sell me parts unless I own a DR lawn vac. I was dumbfounded a company would not sell me parts unless I could verify ownership of a unit. They didn't even know why or what I wanted the parts for nor did they care. I'm in a quandry of what to do. I really like the Cyclone except for the cheesy fabric cart design but if I cannot come up with a solution this unit is going back to Cyclone this week. ( I pull the vac w/a Hustler ZTR.) Trac Vac has what I think is the best idea by mounting the blower directly to the tractor while pulling the cart like a trailer however their products appear to be of a lower overall quality. Anybody please jump in here and give me your two cents worth please. David.

I was going the other route, by trying to purchase the impeller from Cyclone, and they told me something similar, that I must have their Cyclone vacuum to buy parts. I only wanted their impeller to make a truck loader, I already have an engine. I told them to go pi** up wind. Anyway, I have some rather large impellers, and I am planning to make a housing for it.

Bill,

On the subject of Trac-Vacs, I have used one mounted to a Dixie Chopper for many years sucking up leaves, The biggest problem was that I could fill up a 44 gal container in about 10 min, back and forth dumping and covered with dirt because that vacuum did such a good job. One other thing, you never knew when it was full until you saw a line of leaves left on the ground. I also went through 3 or 4 engines. It was almost impossible to keep the air filters clean. I still have it, but it has been sitting for a while now, and needs another engine. The sand here in Florida will eat up those impellers, and sand blast a hole in the impeller cover. The plastic impeller on the Cyclone would have been ideal for my project. They just lost some business from me.