Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #41  
bill333 said:
This is so creative -- and simple --I'm mad at myself for not thinking about it, but i'm glad you did! I"m going to steal your idea too --

Hey Thanks! We might have to come up with a collective name for this feature.
The No Dump - dump slide out __________, ___________ .

For Hazmat:

Looked up the latch info @ Mcmaster-Carr.

Clamps for the output chute. The clamps on my unit are listed as, 'Snap-Down Arm Latches. Page 2987 Scroll to the bottom of the page. Mine are the Number 3.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2897

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #42  
for TBDonnelly...
Finally getting around to building the slide out 'shelf'. Question for you...why did you attach the rope to the front of the shelf, instead of just putting a hole in the shelf inself at the rear and threading in the rope?

also, did you find that with the front vertical board only part the height of the box, that when you pull the shelf out the leaves drop down inside the box? A front board the same height would help with this ,but I'm worried it would be too heavy to put back in.

TBDonnelly said:
Hey Thanks! We might have to come up with a collective name for this feature.
The No Dump - dump slide out __________, ___________ .

For Hazmat:

Looked up the latch info @ Mcmaster-Carr.

Clamps for the output chute. The clamps on my unit are listed as, 'Snap-Down Arm Latches. Page 2987 Scroll to the bottom of the page. Mine are the Number 3.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=2897

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #43  
bill333 said:
for TBDonnelly...
Finally getting around to building the slide out 'shelf'. Question for you...why did you attach the rope to the front of the shelf, instead of just putting a hole in the shelf inself at the rear and threading in the rope?

also, did you find that with the front vertical board only part the height of the box, that when you pull the shelf out the leaves drop down inside the box? A front board the same height would help with this ,but I'm worried it would be too heavy to put back in.

I attached the rope to the 2x4 angled uprights because they were the 'beefiest' part of the whole slide-in. It is a tremoudous amount of weight when the trailer is packed full and I think it would distort the slide-in out of shape over time. I would need to add additional support(and weight)across the rear edge to attach the rope there.

I'm happy with the height of the front vertical board. The wind velocity packs the leaves in pretty tight, so they stay in a cube as they come out, losing very few leaves over the back of the vertical upright. Your results may vary depending upon: 1. How much your vac breaks the leaves down. 2. How tightly they pack in the trailer.

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #44  
Don,
Thanks, I understand. What I had considered doing was just screwing a 2 x 4 the width of the board at the rear end, would add stability against 'curl' and then drill holes in it to run the rope through. (With a knot). I think that would handle the weight, but now I'm thinking you way is better; my way the knot would rest under all that weight, and when pulled out the rope might abrade over time. (This approach would make 'rope management' easier I thought).
I think my trailer is a bit larger than yours -- mine is 36 inches wide by 84 long, so I'm trying to think through all the issues with weight, inertia, etc. before I get it together. (for example, I've thought about using metal guides on the bottom instead of the wood ones you used)

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #45  
TBDonnelly said:
I attached the rope to the 2x4 angled uprights because they were the 'beefiest' part of the whole slide-in. It is a tremoudous amount of weight when the trailer is packed full and I think it would distort the slide-in out of shape over time. I would need to add additional support(and weight)across the rear edge to attach the rope there.

I'm happy with the height of the front vertical board. The wind velocity packs the leaves in pretty tight, so they stay in a cube as they come out, losing very few leaves over the back of the vertical upright. Your results may vary depending upon: 1. How much your vac breaks the leaves down. 2. How tightly they pack in the trailer.

Don
I like your idea to get around a non dumping trailer. You dont show getting the board out from under all those leaves! I didnt know TracVac had made non dumping trailers. On mine Iv always just tipped it back and jerked forward a few feet. It invariably leaves a leaf loaf behind. If it didnt dump Id be using your invention for sure!
larry

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #46  
SPYDERLK said:
I like your idea to get around a non dumping trailer. You dont show getting the board out from under all those leaves! I didnt know TracVac had made non dumping trailers. On mine Iv always just tipped it back and jerked forward a few feet. It invariably leaves a leaf loaf behind. If it didnt dump Id be using your invention for sure!
larry

Er...ah....they don't make non-dumping trailers. :rolleyes: I bought this TracVac twenty years ago, already broke in :eek: (used). A few years passed, then a weld broke loose on the frame and jiggled the 6" pipe (where it connects going into the trailer) enough to break off the small clips that held the pipe in place. After that, the pipe become somewhat permanently secured to the trailer :( with nuts and bolts. So the current non-dumping trailer was formerly known as a dumping trailer.

I think I've replaced or re-inforced just about every thing else on the unit. One alteration I did was to put a longer axle on, replace the balloon tires with a slighlty smaller turf tire. It lowered the COG and gave it about a 3" wider footprint. I can mow the slopes much easier now and not worry about dumping the trailer over. The tires are a little wider than the trailer so care must be taken to not hook a tire on a fence post (not that I have ever done that! :rolleyes: ). The wider width is well worth it for the added stability on the slopes.

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #47  
bill333 said:
Don,
I think my trailer is a bit larger than yours -- mine is 36 inches wide by 84 long, so I'm trying to think through all the issues with weight, inertia, etc. before I get it together. (for example, I've thought about using metal guides on the bottom instead of the wood ones you used)

Your trailer is much longer and a little wider. Mine started out as a standard 10 cubic foot lawn and garden trailer similar to what you see at TSC or Sears. Depending on how high the sides are.......it will be quite heavy. Thinking out loud......when unloading the trailer a prop on the ground that would hold one side of the 'slide' up would dump some of the leaves off to the side when the 'slide' dropped off the edge of the trailer. Thus making it easier to remove the rest of the leaves to 'free up' the slide from under the leaves.

Don

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #48  
That's a great idea. I'm sure I'll figure out more things I need to deal with when I get it done.
My sides are 4 feet high. Because it is heavy we generally don't fill it all the way up -- even with 2 people it is heavy to lift. the dump unit is poorly designed -- the dump jack only lifts the trailer up about 18 inches, so you have to lift it the rest of the way manually anyway.
The other big problem is the cart is almost impossible to back up since the front axle pivots. So we often have to unhook it and maneuver it into position by hand. Who designs this stuff, anyway?
I'll post pics as I get it moved along...starting on it today (65 degrees here in VA!)

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #49  
Got most of it done. I'm a bit worried about the front vertical panel pulling off with the weight of the leaves when sliding out. I had screwed in the panel to the 2x4 supports, but now I think I should put a lag bolt in there since that will bear the brunt of the pressure. I think I'm also going to poly coat the bottom of the sliders to reduce some drag.

/ Pulled the trigger on a Cyclone rake #50  
bill333 said:
Got most of it done. I'm a bit worried about the front vertical panel pulling off with the weight of the leaves when sliding out. I had screwed in the panel to the 2x4 supports, but now I think I should put a lag bolt in there since that will bear the brunt of the pressure. [[[I think I'm also going to poly coat the bottom of the sliders to reduce some drag.]]]
I think a graphite spray would work nicely.
larry