Pulled this old Oliver out of the field...

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #11  
Good chance that tractor was a positive ground electrical system. Better do some investigating.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #12  
Those rear tires look like zero wear...

Hopefully, no water intrusion... but Hollister tends to be dry to very dry much of the year.

Looks like you have plenty of future projects if desired from the picture posted

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field...
That may very well be a rare tractor. Looks to be an Oliver 550 Industrial. Probably the only difference is the front cowling, and grill. I did a photo search, and only found one, and it's in a salvage yard. Model number decal says 551. Used Oliver 550 tractor parts - EQ-21198 | All States Ag Parts

Hope it doesn't take much to get it going, that's a pretty unique model 550. If you happen to needs parts, such as castings, etc., here's a list of 24 in various salvage yards. TractorHouse.com | OLIVER 55 Dismantled Machines - 24 Listings - Page 1.

Thanks for the info. I think it is a 1965 from the serial number I looked up.

On yesterday’s tractors, YTMAG, there is a guy from Michigan, uses the handle rrlund. He is a expert on Oliver’s, and owns a couple of the 500 series.

thank you. Ill try and look him up!

Good chance that tractor was a positive ground electrical system. Better do some investigating.

Thank you. Tractor data says it is in fact positive ground electrical system.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #14  
Its amazing how some engines will fire up again even after a long period of inactivity. I once had a Willys flathead 4 engine that was frozen up after sitting for many years. I took the head off, and beat the top of the pistons with a sledge hammer, repeatedly, for several hours to get it unfrozen. (I used a wood block on top of each piston.)

Once I got the pistons to move a little with each pound, I put it back together and it fired up.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #15  
Had that happen with an old Model A mower... at least 30 years under some old tin roofing and bailing wire... took me about an hour to get it running... I cheated bringing my own carburetor and a small gravity gas can...

After cranking by hand and checking fluids I used jumper cables and a shot of starting fluid and it fired right up... didn't sound bad either... only let it run very briefly.

Later checked compression and one cylinder was low... turned out to be a valve was stuck open and was able to free that up taking off the valve cover.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #16  
Good winter project.:thumbsup:

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field...
Around my neck of woods if it was out there 15- 20 years there was a reason why. Agree with others it really don't look too bad.

Well, today I pulled off the carb, hood & gas tank, front grill & radiator, and thermostat housing... I Think I found out why it was parked... The governor assembly and housing on the front of the engine was blown out. So I'm on the look out for a new housing and gear assembly. I'll take some pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

I hope the compression test comes out good, I can turn it over by hand fairly easy.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #18  
At least you can turn it over... that is good sign.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #19  
Well, today I pulled off the carb, hood & gas tank, front grill & radiator, and thermostat housing... I Think I found out why it was parked... The governor assembly and housing on the front of the engine was blown out. So I'm on the look out for a new housing and gear assembly. I'll take some pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

I hope the compression test comes out good, I can turn it over by hand fairly easy.

I'm curious to see what your governor assembly looks like. Glad you found something although it could be a part that's difficult to find. This tractor is really quite unique.

/ Pulled this old Oliver out of the field... #20  
It's definitely an Oliver 550 industrial model. First thing I would do is get a tech manual for it. There's a few listed on ebay. Don't waste your money on the I&T shop manual, I bought one for my Oliver Super 55 and it just doesn't provide enough information on a lot of topics. It's Ok but the Oliver reproduction manual was 10x better.

You got a great tractor there if there isn't too many issues with it. A lot of the parts for a Super 55 will also fit on a 550. There's a lot of these old Olivers still out and about and parts can be found.

Absolutely love my Oliver Super 55 I have had it for about 8 years now and this tractor gets worked. Only issue I've had so far is the PTO needs new clutches but haven't gotten to it yet because I use the tractor so much for other tasks.