Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #11  
just saw to old guys last month who used a toyota to pull down a tree while cutting. bad judgement, they dropped it on the truck cab! didnt look like they were hurt just confused and mad /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #14  
got to agrree with you, i am not very versed in taking down trees, have done a few small ones but never anything close to where i could dammage anything. i have some dead ones that i want to take down this summer, and i intend to use a block and tackle and make sure i am far enough away form the tree with the tractor that even if the top breaks off and it falls back i ani't going to be with in strikeing distance. i'd rather be called OVER CAUTIOUS, than called DEAD. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #15  
How much does one of those cost and where would you find one?

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How much does one of those cost and where would you find one? )</font>

I would like to know too. It sounds like a really usefull tool.

Stephen

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #17  
When I looked at their site yesterday, I saw that the Timbertool was in the mid-300 range. Their site isn't the easiest to navigate, and I can't even get it to come up right now, or I would go back in and get the exact info. Maybe tomorrow.

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #18  
I don't know if I would use it enough to justify spending that much for it, but it is a great idea.

Stephen

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #19  
Having recently tried the backhoe method on a few trees, I have to agree. Yes, you can take down trees that way - I did it with the root ball still attached - but I figure it's one of those percentage things. The odds can be 99 to one it will fall where and when you want it, but the one time it surprises you may be the very next tree you work on. Those are not good odds to be risking your equipment and your life, so I'm sticking with the saws, wedges, and if needed, 100+ ft. of log chain.

/ Pulling Trees Down With The Tractor #20  
Just checked out the timber tool, think I will stay with the cable and lots of it for distance. Once a tree is cut climbing to hang a line to save your house is out of the question
That tool might be ok for a tree standing straight, but I wouldn't chance it on one with much lean at all.