Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ?

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #11  
Hmmmm - most people who have pulled through conduit seem to use a liquid lube. I've always used talc - "Johnson's Baby Powder" to be precise. Clean and doesn't risk messing with the insulation. And cheap!

My $0.02.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #12  
>>It sounds like your trying to pull the cable through the individual pipes before connecting them. If so, the glue that is used to glue the conduits together will eat through the cable jackets of your wires.<<

Can this be verified?

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #13  
Pks said:
>>It sounds like your trying to pull the cable through the individual pipes before connecting them. If so, the glue that is used to glue the conduits together will eat through the cable jackets of your wires.<<

Can this be verified?
Yup, get some wire and some glue to prove or disprove. I have not experienced this problem because I have always pulled wire through conduit that has already been glued and set long enough for any glue left in the conduit to dry. In most case it probably won't be a problem but why take a chance.
I have never tried it Eddie's way, it sounds like it would be an easier way to run wire in conduit if the situation permits it.
David B

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #14  
You can pull the wire through an empty conduit or pull one piece of conduit at a time over the wire and glue it into place. I've done both, but perfer to pull my cable. My last two pulls were 180' and 98' of 3x3/0 in 2" conduit. I suck a lightweigt pull string through tied to a Wal-Mart bag and then use that to pull a "mule tape" back through. The mule tape is a flat rope specifically designed for conduit pulling. It lays flat when tied around the cable and therefore, you don't have any large bulges to try and squeeze through your conduit. Yet, it is very strong. It also has foot markings printed onto the rope so after you pull it through, you can see exactly how long your expensive copper wire needs to be. Both of these are specialty items and it helps to have access to them.

I also use hand washing soap. Just squirt some down the end you are inserting the copper in. I usually have a helper "grease" down the cable with a soapy rag, but only I have an extra person around.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #15  
My experience has been to 1) get at least one size larger conduit them you think you need. It will pull way easier. 2) Cover the wires with baby powder, it will greatly reduce the friction of the insulation against the walls of the conduit if you can lay the wire out in your yard etc and 3) if you can slip the conduit over the wire one stick at a time I'd do it. You will need to be neat when you apply the cement "glue" so it doesn't attack the wires insulation jacket.

Good luck, EL

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #16  
Hi
Ideal Yellow 77 wire pulling lube is the best way to make pulling wire easy.

Charlie.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #17  
Pks said:

Can this be verified?
The primer used for PVC pipe is to clean any dirt and contaminants off the surface. It also softens the pipe. Methylethyl Ketone is a solvent for PVC.
It may not affect the jacket in your applicaiton but why take the chance.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #18  
All the good advice you can use, plus some! Just make sure any solvent fumes are blown out before you use a vacuum (if it's PVC conduit) to pull a string/bag thru to get started, and buy some pulling lube, as one poster said. It's cheap at Home Depot or Lowes, and unlike soap, there's no possible long term problems with the wire/conduit materials. Soap can cause corrosion, especially if any moisture gets into the conduit.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #19  
All good answers. I agree with LAZY and use Ideal yellow 77 pulling grease. It also helps to have someone help guide the wire into the conduit with a little pushing as well.

/ Pulling Wire through conduit- tips ? #20  
Ideal Yellow #77

Needed to insert heated tracing line into 75' of water line.
This water pump line had frozen and was buried with only the house end accessable.

I was able to push the ltracer in about 25-30 ft when friction took over.

I tried the Yellow #77 and almost lost the 75' heated line as when I push/shoved it in , it simply took off 'like greased lighning'.
That stuff is a silicone based lubricant and believe me if water is present (wet pipe) it is slick.

That #77 saved me from digging up 75' of frozen ground!

Before you ask:
I used steam to thaw out the pipe line.
A contraption consisting of a kettle capped with a ford radiator cap and terminated with a 3/8" fitting to allow connecting a coil of 3/8" polyB line.
The water boils causing pressure forcing the steam down the tube and the steam melts the ice blockage in the line.
Used it many a time with success.
The rad cap acts as safety valve being preset at, I believe, about 12-14 lbs PSI.
Got the idea from a wallpaper steamer!