Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #11  
I would go with a rear landscape rake.
I've had one since last fall and have found it not only useful for cleaning up tree debris- it can move dirt and gravel. A lot more fogiving for a beginner like me in maintaining a gravel drive.
Sounds like you won't be doing major dirt moving, so the finesse a landscape rake allows might be just the thing.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #12  
Noodle,
I think you have too small of a tractor in mind for the property you need to maintain. According to your profile 21-50 acres, that is alot to expect a 1023 to handle. You aren't going to like this but I suggest you get a mower for the lawn and a larger tractor for other tasks. I have an x749 which is very similar to the 1023 in abilities and would not expect it to take on that amount of acreage.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #13  
I'd agree with Steve. I didn't realize you had so much property before. You would be better off getting a used machine for the same amount if you haven't already got the 1023e.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #14  
I'd agree with Steve. I didn't realize you had so much property before. You would be better off getting a used machine for the same amount if you haven't already got the 1023e.

When I started back into this lawn and tractor stuff I bought a riding mower with bagger and a used Deere 820 30hp utility. Added attachments as I could afford them. Later bought a Deere 110tlb, L130 mower, 4520 and last a new x749. Point being it is hard to buy an all in one machine to do everything. It is also hard for most of us to buy it all at one time.

My suggestion is to buy a good lawn tractor based on your lawn needs and them consider what you really need for the other jobs. I worked on my lawn areas with what limited time I had and then ventured further outwards.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help.
Well as far as my acreage...
Out of the 36 I have, only about an acre is grass. The rest is woods and trails. You do have me thinking about maybe keeping my riding lawn mower and just finding a work horse tractor maybe with a loader.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #16  
Out of the 36 I have, only about an acre is grass. The rest is woods and trails. You do have me thinking about maybe keeping my riding lawn mower and just finding a work horse tractor maybe with a loader.

I looked at the JD 1 series and kubota BX when tractor shopping for my 5 wooded acres. I ended up going to a bigger Kubota B series for the clearance for work in the woods. The little ones are nice, but if you have room bigger seems to be better since you get more capacity in about every respect and the cost difference between the two is minimal compared to the overall price. Plus the bigger ones are more flexible when you find new jobs to do (and you will). You can always do a small job with a big tractor, but can't always do a big job with a small one...

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #17  

That's a good idea in my opinion. You can find a used tractor that is much more capable than the 1 series for about the same $$$. For around $15k there is a lot of really nice used tractors with front end loaders for sale. That much acreage I think it will be you best bet.

Good luck on you search!

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #18  

Ah heck, keep the riding mower and get a little bigger tractor -- that's what I did. My JD LT-150 riding mower does a great job on the grass, and my Kubota B2920 is awesome for moving materials in the FEL, ferrying trailers around, and going in the woods to do tree/firewood work.

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help.
While were on the subject or riding mowers........ John Deere LX255. Getting a whining (only way I can think to describe it) type noise whenever the tractor faces the littlest resistance or when forward or reverse is pressed to the fullest. Even get it when I'm backing it in the barn and just has to go over a small concrete lip to get in. Transmission oil is full. Belt maybe?

/ Purchasing a 1023e. Need attachments help. #20  
While were on the subject or riding mowers........ John Deere LX255. Getting a whining (only way I can think to describe it) type noise whenever the tractor faces the littlest resistance or when forward or reverse is pressed to the fullest. Even get it when I'm backing it in the barn and just has to go over a small concrete lip to get in. Transmission oil is full. Belt maybe?

I've noticed it on my LT160 for the little while I've had it. I think that's just the way it is with the automatics - heck even my eHydro 345 whines when put to the medal at first, but then goes away. I think it just does it, as long as it goes away after the first bit of 'acceleration' (if you can call it that) than it should be fine.