Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #1  

BCWoodtick

Silver Member
Tractor
JD425GT, B2650HST
New to this forum, and have a question about the B2650. I see that the Hydraulics will put out 5gpm but what does that translate into PSI. I am going to purchase a 3 Point wood splitter and want to make sure that it will work to what my needs are.
I will be splitting Fur and Larch but up to 36" diameter at the buts. The splitters I am looking at will be 15/20 ton or 25/35 ton based on 2550/3000Psi. The specs on the Kubota page don't specify this way.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #2  
PSI relates to force (power and is different to GPM. The 5 GPM is related to flow (speed) which I don't think you would be happy with. I tried looking up psi for your tractor but fail... My guess would be it's around 2000 psi but I'm sure J_J will be by to school us!

You have the same flow with 15 ton splitter or 25 ton... difference is it takes longer to fill the larger piston. The amount of force (psi) the tractor will be able to give will be the same but the 25 ton piston is larger and would give more power. (not sure why they don't list psi at kubota?) Clear as mud?

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question
I found the specs on the splitter and the 25/31T requires 13 gpm so I am guessing that will not work with the 5 gpm on the B2650??

Is there any other options as would be nice to have the implement to make life a little easier?

I am sure looking forward to getting the B2650!!

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #4  
There is a thread on here discussing 3PH splitters and stand alone gas powered. We used a 3PH for years, but now much prefer the stand alone which doesn't tie the tractor up and just seemed like a waste to put hours on an expensive tractor to split wood.

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #6  
Hi and welcome to TractorByNet! I have moved your thread to the Kubota forum where you can get as much information as possible. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

So the salesman I am looking at purchasing the splitter through is telling me that it will still work with my low 5gpm hydraulics. Is this the case as I wondering how 5gpm can supply something that the splitter manufacturer says requires 10gpm for the 15/20 t and 13gpm for the 15/31t which is the one I would like to get? Still leaning towards going with the 3ph as it will work well for my requirements.
So 2 questions I guess : Will it work without having to buy a PTO pump?
And if it will what will the draw backs be? (thinking slow cylinder?)

Thanks

/ Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #8  
yup, find out how long it says it takes to complete a cycle... now double it. What wood splitter are you looking at? any links...

You can start a new thread asking how happy are you with a 3ph wood splitter?

Last edited:
   / Purchasing B2650HSD with attachment question #9  
There is a thread on here discussing 3PH splitters and stand alone gas powered. We used a 3PH for years, but now much prefer the stand alone which doesn't tie the tractor up and just seemed like a waste to put hours on an expensive tractor to split wood.

I couldn't agree more with the hour issue being put on a new machine with a stand alone splitter being fairly cheap . If you are going to have a fel on the tractor it can be put to good use , like putting that split wood in the bucket as you split it or moving those big cut up pieces closer to the splitter . I did that for a good many years and that fel saved me much work for sure .

Thanks for the input guys.
I get the impact of having on the tractor and just not sure if an extra 5-10hrs a year is a big deal? I will have a fel and the BH77, and already have the splitter included included in the pricing so just need to finalize my decision before delivery... lol

I also have a little JD 425 with a large wagon so needing the fel isn't a big deal. I think the real kicker is if it will work well enough with the low GPM's??
If not maybe switching to front forks with grapple might be better way to go and wait till I want to spend more on a stand alone??

Teg, the dealer said I could just hook up into the BH lines and wouldn't need the rear remote, but I am getting the front remote installed in case I want a grapple option later down the road.