Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE?

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #1  

RealJimbo

Bronze Member
I, like everyone else, have read the manual. You should NOT backdrag with the bucket edge. To backdrag, use the heel of the bucket.

Also like everyone else, I HAVE backdraged with the edge. And I never had gotten in trouble with the Kubota 1153 FEL. But now I have this Woods 126 FEL. I wasn't actually backdraging. I rolled back down a pile with the bucket dumped. The edge caught the pile and . . . SNAP! Busted the weld completely off, and appears to have bent the rod also.

My question is . . . How often do you backdrag with the edge and has it caused you any problems?

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #2  
i use the bucket edge,no problems

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #3  
I, like everyone else, have read the manual. You should NOT backdrag with the bucket edge. To backdrag, use the heel of the bucket.

Also like everyone else, I HAVE backdraged with the edge. And I never had gotten in trouble with the Kubota 1153 FEL. But now I have this Woods 126 FEL. I wasn't actually backdraging. I rolled back down a pile with the bucket dumped. The edge caught the pile and . . . SNAP! Busted the weld completely off, and appears to have bent the rod also.

My question is . . . How often do you backdrag with the edge and has it caused you any problems?

Backdraging with both for many years. depending what I want to accomplish and how I want to feather the surface..
I buy a tractor to use, and that is what I do with it..

James K0UA

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #4  
I've back dragged with the cutting edge with no problems. Leaves a much nicer finish than the heel. If I really need to back drag a lot, I use a box blade.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #5  
I do it too, but keep the bucket angled so if it does hook it'll just ride up and over and not bend anything. The bucket has a lot of leverage on the cylinder if it hooks hard.

Sean

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #6  
I backdrag with both as well. It's a "right tool for the right job" kinda thing. You can also partially fill the bucket and drag with the heel to be a bit more aggressive.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #7  
Use both as well. The only time I had any trouble was with a 45 hp international. It had an oversize bucket on it for loading chicken manure and I blew a hose. It was not in the best shape but would have lasted a while if I kept the bucket flat. With the oversize bucket the leverage was to much.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #8  
I back drag with the bucket edge all the time but unless I'm playing in freshly dug fluffy dirt, the lift cylinders are usually in float position.
I have also caught the bucket like you have the odd time but always with the bucket flat so it didn't grab hard, just lifted the front tires off the ground. I think you've had a little tractor lesson, get'r fixed and you won't do it again.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #9  
I also back drag with the bucket edge. I have not had a problem breaking any thing, but I did hang a stump right in the center of the bucket once that bowed the bucket lip up about an inch. I had it dumped too far and it didnt smoothly ride up and over just hung up on the stump for a bit then popped over. Once bent, they are almost impossible to straighten back up as I have tried sledge hammer and even using the tractor to push the lip into a stump and it doesnt move back.
I also blew a hose on the Yanmar once by putting too much pressure to the bucket but never broke a weld. I think you likely had a bad weld on your tractor. Get it fixed and dont worry, everyone back drags with the bucket. If you drag with the bottom, you are going to wear a hole in the bucket especially if you are in sandy soil as it is very abrasive. The bucket bottoms are very thin material and wont stand up to a lot of back dragging abuse. It may keep you from bending something, but that will not be an easy repair to make to fix a worn thru bucket bottom and likely will cost more than a new FEL bucket.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #10  
I also do it all the time, I actually never knew it was bad. No, I didn't read the manual. I did it constantly as a kid with much larger tractors, so I never even thought it might be bad. No issues yet though.