Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE?

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #21  
RE the JD 245SL loader on the JD 2030, bought the loader used from a dealer. He said it was not the original bucket. A customer wanted it's bucket so he swapped them.The bucket I got was really worn, cutting edge was straight, but not worn evenly across. Worn too bad to back blade with.It's worn real bad at both corners. Like it spentit's entire life scraping concrete.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #22  
I just had to use my bucket to get the last of the fill from 2 trenches I dug for pool and shed electric lines. The bucket would start to peel the grass when I was pushing with the bucket flat and when I tilted it up slightly it left too much material. By back blading with the bucket tilted it broke loose the remaining fill and allowed us to lightly rake to get back to bare grass. Bill C

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #23  
I use the heel... because I have a toothbar on the bucket.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #24  
I am a back draggin fool, and I use the front edge at about a 20 degree angle. My tractor is my hammer!

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #25  
The tractor that I did the damage to, was very old, and had very old, and abused steel, so that was probably more the culprit than anything elese. I would probably try it again, with a heavier duty set up, however with much more caution than I used the first time. I did rent a bobcat to finish the job after I damaged the tractor, and that worked very well, so with the correct set up, i'm sure you will be fine. I personally just had a bad experience.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #26  
I used to backdrag alot, until I bent a bucket cylinder, it was the newest cylinder on the loader.:mad: When I walked into the hydralic shop, the owner said, I see you have been backdragging.:ashamed: He repaired it for $90 dollars, new were $165

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #27  
I have a Kubota L4400 with the LA703 FEL. When I back drag, I utilize the float position.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #28  
I generally put the fel in float position when backdragging and haven't encountered any issues.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #29  
I back drag a little with the blade angle set steeply, mostly to gather up what is left of a pile of loose dirt I am moving. Now with the bucket set flat I back drag alot with down pressure and float depending on the needs.

Last edited:
   / Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #30  
After reading these "do's and don'ts" on the subject of back draging with a FEL bucket.....I am severely guilty of doing the don'ts. I am surprised I still have a usable bucket....maybe I should go have a look?:confused2: