Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE?

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #41  
Now I have to put the barn up tomorrow, and then fill it with hay this Sunday. This is a bit of a tiring weekend.

Holy cow! Either this is not a "barn" that I envision it, or you sir, are a friggin' maniac magician workaholic! How do you put up a barn in a day??? Hat's off to ya! :drink:

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #42  
First time posting but since I have had some bad experience with 澱ackdragging I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

I have a 2007 Kubota Grand L-3540 HST with 600 hrs. on it, which I love. The FEL is a Kubota LA-724 (which the dealer said was the most heavy duty allowed, by Kubota, on this tractor). The bucket is the extra heavy duty with the additional bolt on cutting edge so it will not bend or distort at all (so far). I also have a 6 foot grapple for this unit which has done most of the hard work during the 600 hours of run time, clearing 10 acres.

I was backdragging with the grapple fully open and fully tilted forward (the hydraulic cylinder fully extended) dragging the top grapple hooks to tear up the ground in a hard spot. As I had some downward force on the FEL and backed swiftly I heard a loud metallic clang. I found the hydraulic cylinder shaft had bowed to the point of breaking and snapped in two about 3 inches from the end of the cylinder.

The dealer said everyone knew not to back up with it fully extended (I didn稚) and it was in the manual saying not too. I bought the 杜ost heavy duty FEL allowed on this tractor and expected it to take what I was doing. The dealer covered it under warranty but said he would not cover it again. A new cylinder was installed to cover it about 2 years ago and I recently noticed this 渡ew cylinder has a slight bow to the shaft (no idea when this happened). I have been pretty careful with it since replacement but I have backdragged with the bucket some. I still say the cylinder should handle this but it does not on my unit

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #43  
I back drag using the bucket edge too...in fact, the operator's manual for the Deere shows you how to do it.
IIRC, the manual does recommend no more then a 30 degree angle relative to the ground.

Like several others, I most frequently use float...and I never purposely lift the front tires off the ground when back dragging.

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #44  
Been backdragging for over 14 years without any issues. hope to keep it that way

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #45  
First time posting but since I have had some bad experience with æ¾±ackdragging I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

I have a 2007 Kubota Grand L-3540 HST with 600 hrs. on it, which I love. The FEL is a Kubota LA-724 (which the dealer said was the most heavy duty allowed, by Kubota, on this tractor). The bucket is the extra heavy duty with the additional bolt on cutting edge so it will not bend or distort at all (so far). I also have a 6 foot grapple for this unit which has done most of the hard work during the 600 hours of run time, clearing 10 acres.

I was backdragging with the grapple fully open and fully tilted forward (the hydraulic cylinder fully extended) dragging the top grapple hooks to tear up the ground in a hard spot. As I had some downward force on the FEL and backed swiftly I heard a loud metallic clang. I found the hydraulic cylinder shaft had bowed to the point of breaking and snapped in two about 3 inches from the end of the cylinder.

The dealer said everyone knew not to back up with it fully extended (I didn稚) and it was in the manual saying not too. I bought the �ost heavy duty FEL allowed on this tractor and expected it to take what I was doing. The dealer covered it under warranty but said he would not cover it again. A new cylinder was installed to cover it about 2 years ago and I recently noticed this 渡ew cylinder has a slight bow to the shaft (no idea when this happened). I have been pretty careful with it since replacement but I have backdragged with the bucket some. I still say the cylinder should handle this but it does not on my unit

Well you just can't get away with that forever.. when I backdrag, I am putting the lift in float, and not too big of an angle on the bucket at that.. if it hits a root or rock or something that wont move it just "floats" up over it without much strain on the cylinders. If you backdrag with a lot of down-pressure you run the risk of damage if it catches on something. The Kubota loaders are as strong as any in this class, but there are limits to our smaller equipment. I have done a lot of things that probably could be considered abuse, but there are limits.

James K0UA

/ Question 4 you . . . Backdraging with the Bucket EDGE? #46  
I have always used the cutting edge to back drag with my b2200 and now my b2630. Sounds like a defective weld on the FEL. I'd check with the dealer and see about getting it fixed for free.