question about motor control valve

/ question about motor control valve #1  

marcuswayne

I built about five years ago a fire wood processor that is run by Hydraulics. The processor has a 30" chainsaw bar with a 404 chain on it. I have a hydraulic spool valve that has an open center that is hooked to a hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder is hooked to the 30" chainsaw bar. This is what moves the 30" bar to cut through the log. The problem that I am having is its hard to control the speed as it cuts through the log. If I change the hydraulic spool valve to a motor control valve will this let me cut slower or faster if I need to?
Thanks for your help
marcus

/ question about motor control valve #2  
You need some form of flow control to regulate the cylinder movement speed. Changing to motor spool will not help

/ question about motor control valve
I do have a flow control valve on the system. The problem is its hard to control how fast the hydraulic cylinder moves in and out. I would like to be able to open the the spool valve a little for a slower cut if I needed. The spool valve is open or closed, hard to open just a little. If I adjust the flow valve to have less fluid then when I want to make a faster cut I would have to re adjust the flow valve. So a motor control valve wouldn't do that?
thanks for your help

/ question about motor control valve #4  
A motor spool valve lets a motor spin down after you shut off flow to it. Otherwise there'd be a huge shock. It connects the neutral position back to the tank, as I recall. It doesn't affect speed as I understand it.

Speed is controlled with a flow valve.

At least I think that's how it all works. Maybe someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

/ question about motor control valve #5  
Couldn't you just use a valve like what's on a front end loader that raises and lowers the arms?

On my loader, the more I push it the faster it raises. The more I pull it, the faster it lowers. If I let off of it, it stays where it's at.

/ question about motor control valve #6  
If you have the knowledge and skill a electrical proportion valve will do what you want but for precise control of low flows they are not inexpensive. For even better control You can “close the loop electronically” If electrical control is connected to a pressure transducer to indicate saw motor pressure to control cylinder speed - valve position.

Is your flow control pressure compensated or simple flow control?

Pressure compensated might provide a little more consistent speed but again will not change speed unless you adjust it.

A motor spool valve lets a motor spin down after you shut off flow to it. Otherwise there'd be a huge shock. It connects the neutral position back to the tank, as I recall. It doesn't affect speed as I understand it.

Speed is controlled with a flow valve.

At least I think that's how it all works. Maybe someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.
thank you MossRoad
i have never used a motor spool valve in all the things I have built. That makes sense that the valve would let the motor spin down after it's shut off.

If you have the knowledge and skill a electrical proportion valve will do what you want but for precise control of low flows they are not inexpensive. For even better control You can “close the loop electronically” If electrical control is connected to a pressure transducer to indicate saw motor pressure to control cylinder speed - valve position.

Pressure compensated might provide a little more consistent speed but again will not change speed unless you adjust it

/ question about motor control valve #9  
A motor spool, other than allowing the motor to freewheel when returned to neutral sometimes has either a tapered land rather than an abrupt square edge or else cuts around the circumference of the land to allow easier feathering of the flow.
I've ground tapers on a spool before when I've been in a pinch and it's worked but it was more luck than skill as there's a good chance of warping the spool
Not good examples but all I could find:
1711024516139.png

Pressure compensated might provide a little more consistent speed but again will not change speed unless you adjust it.
the flow control is an inline pressure compensated valve.