Question about using a stabilizer?

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #41  
I've never had to worry about any of it before because I'm lucky enough to have really good gas and fuel in this area.

But not sure if that is going to change now. They have finally mandated ethanol up north here now. We've only had it at two stations until now. Now all but Shell is ethanol now. So I guess I'll be finding out if any of the horror stories about ethanol are true. Because I have lots of gas powered stuff that sits all winter in an unheated barn.

So I put some Stabil in everything.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #42  
I guess I'll be finding out if any of the horror stories about ethanol are true.
Really hasn't been much of an issue for me. I was just running a chainsaw today that I haven't run since probably January, last run on E10 but drained before storage, fired right up and ran fine. My mower and leaf blower get stored all winter with a full tank of E10, and while I put a little stabilizer in it most years, there have been years I've not bothered. No issues. My generator has been stored up to 2 years with E10 in the tank, but always with stabilizer and a drained carburetor, no issues.

I suspect that 90% of the people blaming gas for their engine problems should be looking at their own engine maintenance, before the gas.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #43  
DRY TANK.
I've lived off grid for 15 years now, with 4 different generators for the workshops. Never knowing when each will be needed again, I only put enough fuel in for my estimated run time.

This new gas is garbage... doesn't even smell like gasoline anymore!

My stored gas, in plastic fuel cans, stay in dark/cool location and all gas is treated with 95-Fixer.
With the exception of one chainsaw left on the shelf several years now, I rarely if ever have to tear down a carburetor.

That's my two cents worth

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #44  
Have had good luck with StaBil, but found Star Tron to be quite a bit better.
I put Stabil in my fuel cans when I buy the fuel. I add a bit of Star Tron about ever-other time I fill the tanks on all my small gas implements. That generally prevents any problems.
I do tend to run the smaller implements dry before I put them away for the season.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #45  
It is a simple matter to run small engines dry of fuel. When I store several 5gal containers of fuel (Premium without Ethanol no longer available in Canada) Lieberals... I fill to the top and tightly seal them. No Stabil added.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #46  
It is a simple matter to run small engines dry of fuel.
A lot of OPE these days don't have a fuel shutoff valve between tank and carburetor. You can buy them on Amazon for $2/ea, and install them yourselves on most equipment.

My standard procedure for shutting off my log splitter at the end of the day, or my generator at end of an emergency, is to just close the fuel valve and let it run dry. I know the splitter could sit weeks, or the generator for many months, before the next use. On the generator, I also drain the carburetor bowl, as "running it dry" doesn't actually run the carburetor out of fuel. I will still get at least an ounce out of the car bowl, after "running it dry".

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #48  
Same as Rj, I began to treat my gasoline - with StarTron - beginning in the fall so that over the winter, all engines had treated fuel. A few years ago, I started just adding a dollop StarTron to each 5 gal. can filled for small engine use, and use this for everything, including my chainsaw mix and anything else 2-cycle. Similarly, I don't drain or run the carburetors dry. Any fuel left in tank is used in the spring, but I sometimes add a bit of new fuel and StarTron to the old.

I think StarTron is superior to StaBil.

Once I got in the habit of the above, all fuel-caused carb problems have disappeared.

/ Question about using a stabilizer? #49  
I use Seafoam. All of my equipment is stored in a sealed up pole barn that doesn't get below 40F in the winter. Never had an issue with any of the equipment. Most of these are motorcycles and 27+ HP mowers.
I put diesel treatment in every gallon the tractor uses, all times of the year. Seafoam in the last tank of the season for all others. I never drain tanks or run dry

Last edited:
   / Question about using a stabilizer? #50  
I started just adding a dollop StarTron to each 5 gal. can filled for small engine use, and use this for everything...
Not to pick on you, Lefty, your post just brought it to front of mind. What I'm wondering is, if there's actually some magical elixir that cures all problems with E10 when you add 1/2 ounce of it to 5 gallons of fuel, wouldn't the manufacturers already be adding it to their product?